Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Did you get a late start w/ scrapbooking too?        (Topic#1567753)
twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday

Hi All

I am feeling very overwhelmed.

My twins are 7 and I am just now starting to scrapbook. I feel overwhelmed with the task of "getting caught up". Seems impossible.

I am starting with my pregancy. I am on month 7, so I am almost done there. But I am having a hard time with going back so far. I want to do it and I will but I don't feel as inspired to do their earlier years.

Here is my question. Are you a late to scrapbooking too? If so, how did you talk yourself into going back? There are sooooo many early pictures and memories I want to scrap. How did you do it? What did you do?

I am thinking of doing multiple small pictures on a page per month of their first year. Then beyond their first year just scraping milestones, holiday/birthday, vacations, funny memories, etc.

I bought a school years kit for when they started school, that will help. But even then I have lots of pics outside of school.

I have over 8,000 pics!

At this moment I am avoiding continuing. I am a type A personality and have a hard time getting going on things that are overwhelming. I have a need to do things perfect or not do them at all. All or nothing.

Maybe I need to give myself permission to scrap the pictures very simply with few scraps and embellishments. Just get the pictures and journaling into an album until I get to a point that I am more caught up and can spend more time on my layouts.

Looking for encouragement and thoughts about how some of you may have started with so much to go back and capture.

Thanks in advance

kygirlnfla
Mayor
kygirlnfla
In response to twosmilestoday

My suggestion is to keep it fun and not feel pressured and obligated to scrap all 8000 pics since it probably cannot happen anyway. Multi-pic pages will certainly help...as will simplifying your pages, like you said! Perfectionizm is a hendrance to getting on with things, you might as well embrace imperfection, since with the many styles popular now....messiness is actually an attribute! Personally, I like doing my layouts out of order, whatever strikes my fancy any particular day since I look at this as a hobby. Don't feel pressured to be as "good" as many on this site and others, just do what you can and enjoy the learning process~

Guru

I have found the page protectors below have been a huge help when scrapping a lot of photos. There are other configurations available too. I just mix them up in between the the full size 12x12 protectors. It has helped me progress on the album that I have been working on. I can still show the pictures on a couple of those page protectors instead of 12+ layouts using same photos.

American Crafts - 12 x 12 Page Protectors with 4 x 6 Photo Pockets - 10 Pack

We R Memory Keepers - Page Protectors - 6 Up - 6 x 4 Inch Photo Sleeves - Fits 12 x 12 Three Ring Albums

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to ihacodb

I would say give yourself permission to scrap your most recent photos and get into the mood and then tackle some of the old ones now and then. There are no rules saying you have to go in order or start at the beginning! Do what you enjoy doing not what you feel you NEED to do!

Maybe sort a few older photos and make a plan and then they are ready when you are inspired otherwise just go with the flow!!!

JMO!!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

The comments below are strictly my own personal opinion.

I think scrap books should celebrate certain things in life and should not replace traditional photo albums (which have now become photo files on a computer). Scrapbooks should supplement your photo collection.
There is no possible human way to scrapbook even a fraction of all of the photos you take because photo taking has become so much more prevalent. Nor should you want to scrapbook everything. It's OK to have plain old photo albums of just photos.

If you scrapbook everything is just becomes a wall of bulky books that overwhelm the viewer. It delutes the message. Nothing becomes special because everything is decorated. I think you should set aside dreams of scrapbooking large chunks of life and just concentrate on the highlights.
If you look in the gallery, for the most part, you don't even see double page spreads. Most events are glorified into a single page. BUT that person still has all of the additional images from that event.
When I first started scrapbooking, I met a woman who had a goal to make one page each month highlighting the growth of her child. I thought she was nuts...to have such a low goal of only one page per month. There had to be dozens of things she wanted to capture...but now I see the wisdom in her decision. Make special pages (scrapbook pages with all of the bells & whistles) for the things that are the most important to you. The rest of your images will always be there just in a different form.

And finally remember scrapbooking is suppose to be FUN. If you feel overwhelmed and stressed that you are not doing enough, fast enough then you have to stop and reevaluate. No one scraps everything and if they did we would be questioning why they are spending all this time scrapbooking. Life is for living (not making dozen and dozens of pretty scrapbooks). At the end of the day...do you want to say I spent 6 hours making the most amazing scrapbook page or I spent 6 hours loving my kids?

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Scrapbook Queen

Sure, I started late, my oldest was already married and out of the house and my youngest was already in college, plus I had all those old heritage type family photos. This was about 5 years ago.

I was home sick on a disability for 6 months, and I did some every day, initially just organizing. Over time I worked on the heritage stuff, the kids growing up years, some special albums and at some point, I put it all out of my mind and simply thought of it as my fun pastime, not that I was trying to get to the end of something - and I'm OCD! My DH says scrapbooking saved my life at a time in my life when I otherwise would have spun into a deep depression.

Anyway, I very recently declared my self 'caught up', to the point anyway where I plan my next layouts based on upcoming events, trips, etc. And caught up isn't all that, believe me.

So try to enjoy the trip and be open to the fact that this isn't your job, it's your chosen way to spend your leisure time!

Edited by flightobl on 12-11-11 08:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tenant
In response to RockStar

I really love making mini albums to quickly scrap something, they are nice and small and you can scrap an event like a birthday with 8 or so favourite photos in a space that is small enough so isint to creatively demanding (as opposed to trying to design a whole 12x12 layout). Also try and find simple page layouts that you can follow if you dont want to stick with 12x12, that can also inspire you!

Good luck!!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to RockStar

I got a very late start. My oldest was up and out, and my youngest was about 10. I have since learned that I can't even keep up with current photos! I find myself most happy when I scrap the photos that I want to scrap. My layouts now consist of current photos, older photos, and heritaage photos. I will never get caught up, but my layouts do represent a wide variety of family memories.

twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
The comments below are strictly my own personal opinion.

I think scrap books should celebrate certain things in life and should not replace traditional photo albums (which have now become photo files on a computer). Scrapbooks should supplement your photo collection.
There is no possible human way to scrapbook even a fraction of all of the photos you take because photo taking has become so much more prevalent. Nor should you want to scrapbook everything. It's OK to have plain old photo albums of just photos.

If you scrapbook everything is just becomes a wall of bulky books that overwhelm the viewer. It delutes the message. Nothing becomes special because everything is decorated. I think you should set aside dreams of scrapbooking large chunks of life and just concentrate on the highlights.
If you look in the gallery, for the most part, you don't even see double page spreads. Most events are glorified into a single page. BUT that person still has all of the additional images from that event.
When I first started scrapbooking, I met a woman who had a goal to make one page each month highlighting the growth of her child. I thought she was nuts...to have such a low goal of only one page per month. There had to be dozens of things she wanted to capture...but now I see the wisdom in her decision. Make special pages (scrapbook pages with all of the bells & whistles) for the things that are the most important to you. The rest of your images will always be there just in a different form.

And finally remember scrapbooking is suppose to be FUN. If you feel overwhelmed and stressed that you are not doing enough, fast enough then you have to stop and reevaluate. No one scraps everything and if they did we would be questioning why they are spending all this time scrapbooking. Life is for living (not making dozen and dozens of pretty scrapbooks). At the end of the day...do you want to say I spent 6 hours making the most amazing scrapbook page or I spent 6 hours loving my kids?

Your thoughts and opinions totally make sense. I have no intention of scraping all 8000 pics. In fact, lots can be deleted. I like the idea of doing the majority of my pics as traditional albums and having the scrapbooking highlight special times and memories.

Keeping that in mind will help me. I work best with a plan. I think I will start by going through my pics for certain time periods and print the ones I want to keep in a traditional album and pull ones aside to scrap. That way I am accomplishing both ideas.

Grateful I can count on the wisdom of so many on this great site.

twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
So try to enjoy the trip and be open to the fact that this isn't your job, it's your chosen way to spend your leisure time!

Yes, I need to post something like this on the wall in front of my scraping area. I need to remind myself of this.

yelppuppy
Resident
yelppuppy

Why don't you check out Becky higgin's site (just google her name). Her pocket protectors have designated spots for journaling in addition to photos, and she has complete kits for you so that you don't need anything else if you choose.

It's hard to describe, but you should just check it out!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to ihacodb

• ihacodb Said:
I have found the page protectors below have been a huge help when scrapping a lot of photos. There are other configurations available too. I just mix them up in between the the full size 12x12 protectors. It has helped me progress on the album that I have been working on. I can still show the pictures on a couple of those page protectors instead of 12+ layouts using same photos.

Wilbur said:
I like this idea. When I have several photos of one event I make some "plain" pages to go with the fully scrapped pages.

I used to have that kind of "get in order" personality, lots of stress! Then I realized everything didn't have to been scrapped in order, just put in the album in order. This was a big thing for me to grasp and now I scrap what I want and put in the album chronologically.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to wilbur

My mom didn't start scrapbooking until her youngest child was 20 (and the other four were then in their early to late 30s). It'll work out. Only scrap what you want to scrap. If you are feeling external pressures to scrap something you don't want to scrap, tell the external pressures where they can stick it. There are no rules. Do what you want.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to aquabunny

I started a little bit late, my son was about 3 1/2 when I started and he's now just turned 6 yrs. old.
I'm an organized person and a bit anal at times about things, a list maker....that's just me. So I approached the whole thing in a bit of an organized way. I started with his baby album and tried to do one page per month (some months ended up with more than one page, depending on the stories I had to tell). I've been doing one book per year of his life since. I've completed his baby book, 1st, year, 2nd year and our wedding book. I think scrapbooking has changed me because now I really want to do more current pics and tell the stories of his last year....I may skip a couple years and do the current stuff.
I find that with the baby/toddler years, the pages are more of "firsts" and outings we took etc. As he's gotten older, I have more stories to tell, more comparisons with my own childhood, more relationship stuff.....things I find more interesting.
I keep all my pics in folders on our computer. I have a folder with my son's name and withing that folder I have folders divided by year. Within each year, I have folders for specific outings and holidays. I can go to any folder and browse pics by date and by outing etc...
I only print and use maybe a tenth of the pics I take. Nowadays with digital cameras, we take far more pics than our parents used to. I have maybe one picture, two or three if I'm lucky, of Christmas' from my childhood. Think about it, you used to get a roll of film to take 12 pics and rarely did you take all 12 pics of one event....that's just the way it was. I don't think you should feel the pressure to scrap all of your pics. I find out of 10 pics, there's maybe one really good one. Sometimes, you need a few pics to tell the story but often one pic, along with your journalling will do the trick.
What I do, is scrap the best pics and then put a CD of ALL the pics for that year in the back of the album. That way you can at least feel like they are not being completely ignored....
Good Luck! It's fun, I love it and it's also very therapeutic.....enjoy it
Alison

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to kiyawinn

I started scrapping after my youngest was born..she is now 10 and my sons are 17 and 18. I don't scrap chronologically and have very few of their baby pics scrapped. I hope to have many, many, many years left for scrapping and right now it's more about making the memories and using scrapping as a stress reliever, not a stress maker.

twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday
In response to justowen

Has anyone bought this multi pack page protectors. If so, I am unclear. Are there 10 to a pack? 1 of each design and 2 of the noted one? This would really help me with my obsession and tendancy to try to over-do.

http://store.scrapbook.com/wr-50032-2.html

Guru

• twosmilestoday Said:
Has anyone bought this multi pack page protectors. If so, I am unclear. Are there 10 to a pack? 1 of each design and 2 of the noted one? This would really help me with my obsession and tendancy to try to over-do.

I got one last year. That is correct one of each except the one that is noted and that one has two. Just a tip...the one page protector that has the 12x2 spot be prepared to have it slip out some (the slot is on the side). I have read that some people will attach what they make for that spot with a brad or eyelet to keep it from slipping all of the time. I just slide it back in if it slips out a little. They are GREAT page protectors.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

• twosmilestoday Said:

LOVE these for "catching up"...

you don't even have to put photos in all those spots, you can cut a piece of patterned paper and embellish it or add a title for that page in some of those spots. and don't forget that you can embellish right on photos too, if you want a little oomph.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to angie girl

I use the 4x6 ones when I have tooooo many pics of an event. I usually scrap one page (front) and then add the 4x6 protector(s) and then scrap another page (back). If I do not have enough pics for the protectors, then I slip in matching pp from the two pages that are scrapped. Love the protectors!

Expert

• twosmilestoday Said:

I recently got this pack for an album I'm going to make about the cabin/lake that we had growing up--I have toooo many pictures to try and do traditional scrapbook LOs with so I'm trying this way. Not to mention I don't want to get too behind with my regular everyday life scrapping...

If any of your photos go with any of the lines by Simple Stories, then this is also great because all of the postcards/journal cards/etc. fit perfectly into the spaces.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics