Username Post: Cricut mat no longer sticky :(        (Topic#1567773)
brittselby91
New Kid On the Block
brittselby91

Hey ladies,
I've been through 3 different cricut mats in the last month from no longer being sticky. Any ideas on how to make them last, or restore the stickiness? It's a shame that they go so quick, it does add up after a while!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to brittselby91

You can try washing them with warm soapy water. Make sure you let them completely dry. You can also use a spray adhesive making sure you tape off the edges to protect the rollers. People also use the Zig Two Way Glue Pen to re-stick. Again make sure you allow it to dry completely. If you are in a pinch, you can always tape down your paper.

married05
Idol
married05
In response to HisGEM

Try baby wipes first. I know it sounds crazy, but it gets all of the little tiny paper fibers off of your mats, making them stickier.

If that doesn't work, I've heard good things about washing and resticking them with the Zig glue. I haven't tried it myself. Right now I'm dealing with the opposite issue. I just upgraded to an E recently and the mat is waaaaaay too sticky. (Lucky for me I read advice online about using a t-shirt to make it a little less sticky, and now it works great!)

Tenant
In response to married05

What type of baby wipes do you use Karen? I don't have kids so do not know if they are all the same...are they?? Aren't some of them oily? I thought I had used one one time and it left my hands feeling a bit greasy. That was years ago tho, and maybe wipes have changed.
I was gonna say, if that works maybe I need to buy some but want to get the right kind.
Thanks!

Edited by crowmomma on 12-19-11 11:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Juliet
Juliet 
New Kid On the Block
Juliet

What a good question! I have been frustrated with this issue myself. Thanks for posting this and thanks to all the great replies. Makes me want to pull out my Cricut and play.

spend2much
Diva
spend2much
In response to Juliet

There is a section somewhere here where people add their own tips. I found out from this section (can't remember where it's at) that washing the mats with dish soap then letting the drip dry brings back the sticky feel again and it does work. I washed many of mine and now it's like they're brand new again.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to spend2much

Thanks for the good ideas, I am sure it is just a matter of time when I will need to get to use some of these!

New Kid On the Block
In response to catzscrapper

Hi ladies, I read in a different forum that washing them with magic eraser works wonders.. I know crazy huh? I'm using my mat like crazy so I can try it out

momsbusybee
Tenant
momsbusybee
In response to Millysmomma

I'm having the same trouble with my mat. I will have to give these tips a try. Thanks for the tips.

KelleyG
Resident
KelleyG
In response to momsbusybee

You can also use Two-way glue on them. Apply and let dry for 24 hours.

surescrapsalot
Veteran
surescrapsalot
In response to KelleyG

I use windex wipes.....same idea as the baby wipes I imagine...it works somewhat....but resticking them with zig works great...I've done it a few times...

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to surescrapsalot

I have been using some of my mats for years without treating them with anything.

1. I always use two mats alternating them.
2. Before I remove the protective sheet the first time, I write the word UP on it so I know which side to put down when replacing the protective sheet.
3. I always clean all the loose papers and fibers off the mat after using them before I put them away.
4. Always put the protective sheet back on the mat after using.

The only reason I find to throw out a mat is when the sides curl up too much to run smoothly in the machine.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to dotfree

Kyrlon Easy Tack Repositionable spray is amazing. It is in a spray can. If you cover up the edges of your mat (painters' tape) you can give it a light spray. It lasts for a long time and you can use the can for ages. I found it at HL and used a $40% off coupon.

New Kid On the Block
In response to 950nancy

Clean them! Use a baby wipe, or some kind of handi wipe, wipe in a circular direction and it will pick up all the little bits of paper. Keep wiping until the mat is clean and tacky again. Let it air dry before using it or covering it.

Make sure you cover your mat with the clear plastic it came with when you don't use it.

The above comments about using the tack spray are correct, but you should be able to make your mats last a LONG time! I have had mats for over a year that are still tacky. I clean mine regularly.

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 05-20-12 03:42 PM

I also use baby wipes. I keep a box on my table.

Bug4115
Resident
Bug4115
In response to Cinj

i like to wear mine completely out. i usually a bone tool or my favorite the cricut scraper tool and make sure all my corners and middle is pressed. I also Keep it covered with the plastic that is on it when it comes when not in use. I use my cricut daily (hours upon hours at that) and I could make a mat last about 4 months + if I wanted.

also, i use cricut craft room to save and plan my cuts and keep my mat flipping so i can get the most use out of it.

i

PaulaFleming
New Kid On the Block
PaulaFleming
In response to Bug4115

Baby Wipes work great - dries quick and you can make the mats last a super long time - sometimes spray adhesives tends to gunk up the blades

surescrapsalot
Veteran
surescrapsalot
In response to PaulaFleming

I just recently watched a youtube video on how to use Ayleens Tack It over and over glue.....so I bought a bottle and tried it out....LOVE IT! Best resticking method I've found yet!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics