Username Post: How to achieve this look? edge tinting?        (Topic#1567785)
yelppuppy
Resident
yelppuppy

See the tinted edges? I think it's probably done with distress ink? How do you do it so the edge is darker and the ink doesn't bleed further in? I watched a few youtube tutorial and the distress ink wicks a lot, so I wonder how this person kept it at the edge.

And is this the same technique? See the torn edges that are tinted. Is it done with a brush?

Finally, is there a term for the technique(s) above? I'd like to search and learn more about it if I know what it's called. Thanks!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-12-11 10:50 AM
In response to yelppuppy

The edge color might also be chalk or colored pencil. Both chalk and ink can be gently dabbed into the edge of a paper with a blending tool, dauber, cotton ball, makeup sponge, piece of felt, etc. When I want a hard edge of color like that I either use my Copic markers, or I take the paper and literally drag the edge along the Distress Ink pad.

Torn edges are generally referred to as a distressing technique.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to stick

I run the paper edge straight to the pad of the ink to get that look.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Manda_K

To tint the torn edges, I use a distress ink applicator. It is a nice foam pad for the inks. The more you layer, the deeper the color.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Manda_K

To ink edges, I typically use a cat eye ink. The stylus makes it a little easier to use. I've used big, block ink pads too.

Depending on what angle you hold your paper, you can control the amount of ink. It just take a bit of practice.

yelppuppy
Resident
yelppuppy
In response to Bxr-Linda

Is Fluid Chalk ink different from other Chalks? Is it more wet than chalks?

I don't like the distress style in general, but I think the tinted edge is cute and subtle. If I have to choose one product, should I go with distress ink or fluid chalk or chalk? I was gonna get chalk because I imagine the look it achieves is cleaner than ink. But I really like the colored edge. If distress ink or other ink can achieve that and is more versatile, I'm open to that as well.

EDIT:
Oh I think I just found the tutorial for this. Is this it? http://scrapbooking.about.com/od/pagestarterideas/i g/In...

Edited by yelppuppy on 12-12-11 12:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to yelppuppy

• yelppuppy Said:
Is Fluid Chalk ink different from other Chalks? Is it more wet than chalks?

I don't like the distress style in general, but I think the tinted edge is cute and subtle. If I have to choose one product, should I go with distress ink or fluid chalk or chalk? I was gonna get chalk because I imagine the look it achieves is cleaner than ink. But I REALLY like the tinted edge look.

EDIT:
Oh I think I just found the tutorial for this. Is this it? http://scrapbooking.about.com/od/pagestarterideas/i g/In...

It's a little misleading. It IS ink (wet), but with more of a flat, chalk-like finish.

I would say get a nice brown color ink to play around with tinting your edges.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Bxr-Linda

Chalks are soft. You can you them to get a nice, soft edge. I tend to destroy the pads though. I use Distress ink all the time.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Manda_K

I use the colorbox that Linda mentioned. The ones I have are small and easy to hold in my hand to work with. If I hold them straight up and down it only colors the edge but I can angle the way I hold it and it goes on the front of the paper a little more.

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to Henri Jean

I like the Colorbox Cat;s Eye inks and chalk inks for this technique. The bigger ink pads are harder to hold onto. Also, inks in bigger pads can be pretty juicy and get too much ink on your edges. Just my opnion.

Edited by Babylou on 12-12-11 12:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-12-11 01:58 PM
In response to Babylou

• Babylou Said:
Also, inks in bigger pads can be pretty juicy and get too much ink on your edges. Just my opnion.

Actually many small pads can be very juicy as well. My little 1" square SEI inks and the Tsukineko teardrops seem WAY juicier than my Distress - although I think it's partly because the Distress pad is firmer so it's harder to overpress it.

yelppuppy
Resident
yelppuppy
In response to stick

I ran out during lunch and got this

I think that's the same as the ones you gals posted, right? I couldn't find that at Michael's today.

Oh man, I've spent so much $$$ on scrapbooking already, and I was only gonna make one. Looks like I have to keep scraping to justify my spending.

bbarthej
Expert
bbarthej
In response to yelppuppy

• yelppuppy Said:

I think that's the same as the ones you gals posted, right? I couldn't find that at Michael's today.

Oh man, I've spent so much $$$ on scrapbooking already, and I was only gonna make one. Looks like I have to keep scraping to justify my spending.

I like the way you think, Yelppuppy!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bbarthej

Mine are individual and you probably got a much better deal getting them in a set like this!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Henri Jean

I like to use archival sepia colored ink for mine. Applied to the edge with a makeup wedge, the spongy kind.

Monochromatic Snowy By CommaHolly

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to yelppuppy

• yelppuppy Said:

welcome to the wonderful world of being broke.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:
  • yelppuppy Said:

welcome to the wonderful world of being broke.

For real.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to kelseymel

SSSHHHH!!! not broke, but with a wealth of scrap supplies!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Manda_K

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics