Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Scrap Album Preference...Post or 3 Ring?        (Topic#1567855)
twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday

Hi Everyone!

I presently have post albums (nothing in them yet). They were a steal at M's. I bought 7 of them.

My dilema is that I plan on using some of the We R Memory Keepers page protectors. I really like the multi-design pack.

What is your preference post albums or 3 ring? AND Why?

Thanks!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to twosmilestoday

I have always used post bound albums in the past because I like how the pages are closer together for viewing 2-page spreads. However, I think I'm going to be switching to 3-ring. As I use more and more dimensional items on LOs, there just isn't enough flex in the post bound albums.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to *jesse*

I have a lot of post bound albums because i thought that was all that was out there but then I discovered 3-ring albums and I don't think I'd ever switch back. although i find that 3-ring albums fill up much quicker.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to *jesse*

I am the same, I like the way two page spread looks and that is how I "design" (sort of). I like the two pages that open together to look as if they are mates. The only "downside" if there is one, is that you need spacers if the book get's thick. No big deal.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to CrimsonMama

I switched over to the 3 ring binders. It does not bother me about the space between the 2-page LO. I can get 20-25 page protectors in one (depends on how many bulky pages I have). I just like the ease of using the 3 ring binders.

Expert
In response to prittb

I use postbound for my every day albums because it works with my system---make a huge stack of LOs; print and attach computer journalling; separate LOs into piles and put into appropriate book (DS1, DS2, Family, Mine). I don't have to worry about doing a lot of shifting because the stack of LOs are all from the same period since I work chronoligically.

For the last couple of special albums I have done (Christmas, vacation,etc.) I have used 3 ring albums because of the theory that it's easier to rearrange. It is...unless you do a lot of 2 page LOs that you want in chronological order! I learned the hard way to put a 2 page LO in the same protector and when the whole album is done then I would go back through and separate into two pages.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to HuskerMom98

I really don't do 2-page spreads, so the 3-ring is ideal for me. I love the easy access, easy rearrangement, and the way it can hold more LOs. When I do have a 2-pager, it goes in a postbound album because I like seeing the two pages close together.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I had 28 post binders and got rid of everything one of those things and got it all in 16 3-rings. Now I think I have 19 3-rings with an average of 85 or 90 pages in each - or 40-45 sheets of actual protectors but that is an estimate, it varies.

I prefer them because I can get an entire trip or vacation in one or two. I can move things around very easily. I scrap chronologically so everything is already in order.

And the spine allows me to clearly type what is in each book. If I want to find Spain, - that book has Puerto Rico, Canary Islands, Cadiz & Barcelona Spain, and the first part of Germany in it. Its all on the spine - no more hunting and searching for Grand Cayman or India.

When I have guests in the guesthouse they can just look at the books and Pull out Suez Canal or Christmas 2009 with no guesswork as to which book it is in.

Not to mention the frustration I have trying to change things and add pages to post books.

And, a real bonus, if I use flowers or embellies on a page the edges of the book aren't wider than the spine so they look a lot better on the shelf.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Henri Jean

I do mostly 2 page layouts so I've always preferred postbound albums - and I know what you mean, I saw those for $3.33 in passing just yesterday - however, I'm presently switching them all over to strap. I'll still have my 2 pagers close together without the hassles with posts.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to RockStar

I thought I read here one time (but can't find it anymore) about stitching two page protectors together in a three-ring binder when a two-pager needs to be close together. Is this true?

These page protectors might help with that issue as well.

yelppuppy
Resident
yelppuppy
In response to RockStar

I'm still on my first scrapbook so I'm no expert by any stretch.

But I'm not even half way done (working on my baby's first year scrapbook so I know the progress) and my pages are already almost thicker than the spine! I don't even use that many embellishments since I"m still a beginner.

I'll never ever use a post bound anymore, unless I won't use any embellishments.

Also, it's a pain to rearrange pages in a post bound album, and I do that a lot since I always think of things or find pictures that go in between other pages.

Edited by yelppuppy on 12-14-11 09:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

yelppuppy
Resident
yelppuppy

• HuskerMom98 Said:

For the last couple of special albums I have done (Christmas, vacation,etc.) I have used 3 ring albums because of the theory that it's easier to rearrange. It is...unless you do a lot of 2 page LOs that you want in chronological order! I learned the hard way to put a 2 page LO in the same protector and when the whole album is done then I would go back through and separate into two pages.

Huskermom, can you please elaborate? I don't see how it's any different from a postbound album? I'm curious because I intend to switch to 3-ring after I'm done with this one, and I'd like to know all the pros and cons.

flagirlof4
Guru
flagirlof4
In response to twosmilestoday

Hi, started with Creative Memories post albums. I switched everything over to We R Memory 3 ring alums.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to flagirlof4

HATE post bound. All mine are 3-ring.

I bought an inexpensive post bound to tote with me to crops to temporarily hold my finished pages. I couldn't even deal with THAT!

My most FAVORITE thing about 3-ring is ease of moving around pages. I do NOT scrap chronologically, but do arrange my albums chronologically. It's really easy in a 3-ring to add a page in the middle.

I'm pretty sure those divided page protectors ARE available in post bound.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Bxr-Linda

I use 3 ring binders. It's easier to move pages around and much sturdier. I had a post bound that I added extension posts to and the album was about 3 inches thick. The "post bound screws" pulled through the holes in the binding part. I suggest if you use post bound, don't make it so thick. I had too many pages for the posts length.

Expert
In response to yelppuppy

• yelppuppy Said:
  • HuskerMom98 Said:

Huskermom, can you please elaborate? I don't see how it's any different from a postbound album? I'm curious because I intend to switch to 3-ring after I'm done with this one, and I'd like to know all the pros and cons.

I'll try--and I'm not sure if I'll be answering what you are asking... With the theme albums that I've done 3-ring, I put the 2 pages of the 2pg LO in one protector until I am all done with the entire album--I don't always create the LOs in the order I know I'm going to put them in the album. Then I get all of the page protectors in the order I want, and start pulling out the left side of the LO to put in the page protector before the one it's currently being stored in and leave the right side page as is...and then move on to the next LO/protector.

With my postbound albums the LOs have not been previously stored in page protectors and go straight into the protector they will forever stay in (unless I've screwed something up really bad...like somehow skipping over a page...). Like I said in my original post--these albums are my "every day" ones with my "every day" LOs; I'm usually putting 10-20+ LOs in a couple of the albums at a time when I put completely finished LOs in.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
I am the same, I like the way two page spread looks and that is how I "design" (sort of). I like the two pages that open together to look as if they are mates. The only "downside" if there is one, is that you need spacers if the book get's thick. No big deal.

You can buy what is called panoramic pages. I've done that in 3-ring albums and it looks great

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to cescrapper

Yes, I linked to those earlier in the thread.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I started with post bound albums because that's all I saw and I didn't know any different but like alot of other posters on here, I've switched to 3-ring now.
I use a lot of 3D embellies and do a lot of pages for one album so it is WAY easier to fit them in a 3-ring. Also, as others have mentioned, it is easier to move things around and swap pages etc.
Double LOs don't fit together as closely but that doesn't bother me so much....you can still see the pages side by side if you want
Alison

studiocbychelsea
Pro
studiocbychelsea

I have one of each...but I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the 3 ring after reading everyone's comments...thanks

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics