Username Post: now what        (Topic#1567877)
New Kid On the Block

Hi everyone, as I mentioned in a previous post I am a total newbie. In my quest to be a pro scrapper I bought myself a Big Shot...ummm yeah, what do I do with this thing? Dont flame me, I was overzealous, but it looks like fun...ideas please, best starter shapes to have? Thanks for any help.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to stacyhope

First of all-I love my big shot, I use it more than my cricut and I find it was completely worth the money!

If you like making flowers, or think that is something you want to get into I'd say look into the Tim Holtz tattered florals die. It is my absolute hands down go to die for flowers.

But I also love the couple of alpha dies that I have. The initial investment for the alphas can be a bit steep-but if you are looking to really get into making pages it can be nice having alphas on hand to cut titles out with.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-15-11 09:50 AM
In response to MrsAnnieS

lol, it is an awesome fun tool to have And there are several great companies that make dies out there - and several that are not carried here at sb.com so look around! Nesties and embossing folders are a fun way to start, imo.
Products Referenced in This Post:

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady
In response to stick

I second the recommendation for the Tim Holtz tattered floral die, I LOVE it! For help on how to use the Big Shot, hop on over to YouTube Search "Sizzix Big Shot Tutorial" and you'll find some videos that explain how it works. Hope that helps!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to katiemylady

I love my BigShot....I did research beforehand, considered getting an electronic one but ended up going with the BigShot. I love that it can cut all kinds of material....grungeboard, chipboard, felt, paper (of course), thin wood, metal sheets etc....
I also love the tattered flowers die and also the tattered leaves one.
I also use the holly/flourish one a lot. It's great for Christmas but you can also use the flourish part at any time of the year...
I recently ordered the paper chain die and I can't wait for it to get here....my son and I will make a paper chain for the Christmas tree but I thought I could also use the strips for pages and cards...
Alison

New Kid On the Block
In response to kiyawinn

Thanks guys, you have been most helpful, going to give it a whirl this weekend..cant wait

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to stacyhope

I LOVE my BigKick- it can do everything, and it is strangely satisfying to build that stack of stuff and roll it through the machine. I have a Cricut. And the brand new Cricut. And tons of cartridges. But I seem to only really USE my BigKick- and I love buying dies for it-

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you- keep your eyes out for dies in their clearance section. I'm always finding odd dies for 2 or 3 bucks.

And yeah- you gotta get the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die- I don't like flowers. But these just look cool. And I really like the way they look on the package- made out of newspaper lookin paper.

My other favorite new die is the Tim Holtz Festive Greenery (I do love all things Tim) - it is cool! I love arranging and re-arranging all the little pieces it cuts out.

And YEAH! Get some embossing folders, too! It always amazes me to open that folder and see the paper embossed. I don't know if I'm just that easily amused or thrilled- but yeah.

-k

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to designguyKORY

What do you do with it? WELL
*you love it
*you crank it
*you love it
*you feed it paper and cardstock and felt and craft metal and acrylic and chipboard and sponge and fabric
*you love it
*you buy lots of dies and embossing folders for it
*you love it
*you keep it out at all times
*you ink up your folders and run cardstock through it for a letterpress look
*you make masks with it
*you love it
*you make cards and tags and ornaments and embellies and so much more
and mostly,
you love it

Thats what I do with it anyway.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-16-11 08:59 PM
In response to Kim222

That's a beautiful poem! Should be on the front of every box

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Kim222

Love and love a hundred times!

Lol

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to designguyKORY

Yep, I love it, too! For me the most difficult part was figuring out the proper "sandwich" for whatever I was doing. I wish their directions would say, put down one of the clear plastic plates, then ... instead of calling everything by their proper names. Or maybe print the proper name on the various plates. But it's a great machine! I love using the embossing folders with it. If you plan to do cards at any time in the future, invest in a couple of those.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to dwelch

Maybe someone should make a fun "sandwich" guide and post a link to it that we could copy on our own printers. I have a cuttlebug and found many videos on youtube for it. I watched them and made my own little "cheat sheet" with directions. I love ordering American made steel dies from Taylored Expressions. They have magnificent dies with matching cling stamps. I bought my sister a darling apron die and the set of matching stamps. I also like Dienamics from My favorite things. I am guessing that you can use all kinds of brands in yours just like the Cuttlebug takes many brands. Happy rolling! It is rather satisfying to crank the handle and take the plate sandwich apart to see your new cut or embossed creation. Enjoy.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I love mine! I use it mostly for nestabilities for layering on cards,,,,,,,

like this!

White on white,,, By CommaHolly

you don't have to get so fancy (I usually do not) and of course, nesties cost money, but I buy them one at a time with a coupon or buy them on EBAY,,I have over 20 sets now, and I want a lot more.

Linda Haulsee
Veteran
Linda Haulsee
In response to CommaHolly

do you need the tan embossing pads to cut the nestabilities on the big kick? I just got the big kick the on Monday with a 50% M coupon (yahoo). I got it to cut nestabilities and TH dies. I did a forum search but it does not give sandwich.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-21-11 09:26 PM
In response to Linda Haulsee

Nestie sandwich for the Big guy is the white board with both tabs closed, acrylic mat, card stock, Nestie, acrylic mat, and cut. Super easy. The tan pads are only for when you want to emboss the Nestie or a Spellbinder Impressability. Instead of the tan mats you can also use plain rubber sheet, sold as plumbers gaskets at Home Depot on a package of two 6" x 6" pieces.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Kim222

• KimScraps Said:
What do you do with it? WELL
*you love it
*you crank it
*you love it
*you feed it paper and cardstock and felt and craft metal and acrylic and chipboard and sponge and fabric
*you love it
*you buy lots of dies and embossing folders for it
*you love it
*you keep it out at all times
*you ink up your folders and run cardstock through it for a letterpress look
*you make masks with it
*you love it
*you make cards and tags and ornaments and embellies and so much more
and mostly,
you love it

Thats what I do with it anyway.

Ok I confess, I am falling in love with it...I need more dies though..lots and lots of dies...

New Kid On the Block
In response to CommaHolly

OMG that is beautiful, I can only hope to be half that creative some day.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics