Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: I am going to give glitter another try.        (Topic#1567905)
Resident

I am willing to give loose glitter another try but I have a few questions.

1. I will be using it on die cuts made from my Cameo and Expression. How do you apply it? Including adhesive, and exactly how you apply it step by step.

2. Do you seal it? If so with what and when? How long does it take to dry?

3. Does the glitter flake off?

Thanks for the help,
Candie

Edited by peytongirl on 12-15-11 12:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to peytongirl

OK - the Doodlebug glitter really only works with their own adhesive. I have them and they are gorgeous but normal glue didn't hold it even when I sealed it with a thick layer.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to SuperAllyFan

Maybe that is my problem with all my Doodlebug glitters?! LOL

I seal most loos glitter with glossy mod podge after it dries. Sometimes, I don't seal it. I live on the edge.

Resident
In response to Manda_K

Do you wait and seal it after it dries or right away?

Candie

Resident
In response to SuperAllyFan

• SuperAllyFan Said:
OK - the Doodlebug glitter really only works with their own adhesive. I have them and they are gorgeous but normal glue didn't hold it even when I sealed it with a thick layer.

What adhesive does doodlebug make?

Candie

Tenant

I actually just run my die cuts through a Xyron, and I never seal it. Seems to work great for me.

Resident
In response to meagan82one

• meagan82one Said:
I actually just run my die cuts through a Xyron, and I never seal it. Seems to work great for me.

Do you run them through the zyron before and after the glitter?

Thanks,
Candie

scrapinsmiles
Expert
scrapinsmiles

I run the die cut through the Xyron to get even distribution of adhesive, sprinkle the glitter on and tap off the excess and I have never had a problem.

Good luck!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram

• peytongirl Said:
  • SuperAllyFan Said:

What adhesive does doodlebug make?

Candie

This is the adhesive I was told to get to use with the Doodlebug glitters mentioned, I have never had a problem using it. I see it is discontinued here tho. Art Institute Glitter - Designer Adhesive - Glitter and Art Glue - Dries Clear

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to ChansGram

Thanks for the tips - I need to start using the large quantities of glitter I have

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to meagan82one

• meagan82one Said:

I put the die cut upside down so the sticky is on top when you take it out.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I have run mine through the xyron before but most of the time I use my Jelly Roll glue pen by Sakura even for big ones. It is much cheaper too. I just do it in small sections. Then it is much easier. I never seal them. I never have anything fall off. When I make them, I do use a big brush that I got from SU. I think they call it a daubber. You can get them elsewhere in the art section. I gently brush excess glitter off while making it & at the end. I never have had any glitter fall off my page in the bottom of my page protectors. Most of my friends in a huge scrap club never seal either.
On my Cinderella castle page. I used a large image from a coloring book. I did not seal it. I used the little Sakura jelly roll glue pen on it. I think I have seen people post about the Doodlebug glitter maybe being thicker or chunkier. I have only used fine scrapbook glitter or glitter from the t shirt decorating supplies but not Doodlebug.

[image] Cinderella's Castle 1987 pg 2 Bling alert NSBD prizes By Anda11[/image]
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by anda11 on 12-16-11 06:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to anda11

I tried glitter for the first time a few days ago. I used a glue stamp pad and then applied the glitter. It didn't want to stay so I used spray adhesive over it and that worked.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to tinadn

• tinadn Said:
I tried glitter for the first time a few days ago. I used a glue stamp pad and then applied the glitter. It didn't want to stay so I used spray adhesive over it and that worked.

Spray adhesive OVER it??? Didn't that just leave the surface all sticky?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-16-11 11:55 AM
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • tinadn Said:

Not once it dries (which is pretty quick with a good spray). However it does tend to dull the finish of the glitter, ime. Good for adding additional layers, though, I did this on the styrofoam star base for my Glinda wand.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to stick

• stick Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • tinadn Said:

Not once it dries (which is pretty quick with a good spray). However it does tend to dull the finish of the glitter, ime. Good for adding additional layers, though, I did this on the styrofoam star base for my Glinda wand.

Good to know.
I dressed as Glenda, Halloween before last. One of the most fun costumes to put together.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to Bxr-Linda

The tried to keep the spray just in the glitter area, seemed to work, not sticky.

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85
In response to tinadn

Word of the wise.. use Modge podge & seal that puppy.. with the modge podge & a paint sponge.. Seriously.. saves a lotta time & glitter everywhere.. I will not do it any other way, I learned the way hard way..

PS. I love to hate loose glitter, you will too lol

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to love4scrappin85

But... but....

glitter is the herpes of crafts!

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to Bxr-Linda

Linda, you said it so well.

I have used glitter once and I did what loveforscrappin said but I even used the mod podge as the initial adhesive.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics