Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Hole punch help        (Topic#1568095)
chickynikki35
New Kid On the Block
chickynikki35

I need a mini hole punch. Any recomendations ? I am looking for the one that a brad would fit through. TIA

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to chickynikki35

A brad? I use a paper piercer for that.

I would think a hole punch would be too big?
Products Referenced in This Post:

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to kelseymel

I use this to make holes a lot more than to set eyelets.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to scrap4brains

I also use a paper piercer for brads ... easy peasy

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to scrap4brains

I keep an old foam mouse pad on my desk with one of those bulletin board stick-pins in it. That's what I use most of the time for brads. I did discover something, though - when I'm using bigger brads, I grab my ACCO knife and make a puncture. That makes a "slit" rather than a hole, and the prongs of the brad slide right into it perfectly!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to dwelch

I love my big bite, especially if you'll be punching through anything really thick, like chipboard.

yelppuppy
Resident
yelppuppy
In response to CommaHolly

I just use my xacto knife to pierce a little hole for brads. As long as there's any hole on the paper, you can easily fit a brad through, using the brad's legs to extend the tear. You can use any knife, even a pin will work.

Speaking of mini punches, Michaels have them on sale for $1 each, usually tucked in a corner where scrapbook supplies are. They don't have brad holes, but have all sorts of cute shapes!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to yelppuppy

I use my BigBite, on its smallest setting, for chipboard and heavy stuff, like Mme. Comma, and use my 'scalpel' - what is it called really? That scalpel thing- to make a little slit to push the brad thru, if I'm doing it on paper. I think that works best for me.

Xacto! That's it- (read above, lol) I always call it 'mah scalpel.' Because, for some reason, I talk all 'gangstah' and/or South Park, when I scrap.

-k

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:
I love my big bite, especially if you'll be punching through anything really thick, like chipboard.

Santa (aka my husband) is bringing me one of those.

Apparently I have been a very good girl!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to kelseymel

I like my Making Memories paper piercer, but a 1/16" hole punch is also great for tiny brads (and 1/8" for larger ones) - Fiskars has a good one.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to aquabunny

I sometimes use my X-acto knife, or MM Anywhere Hole punch.

My new favorite is my brass "automatic center punch" I got at Harbor Freight. It was about $2 and is VERY handy--quick, easy, and small.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 12-21-11 11:24 AM
In response to designguyKORY

• designguyKORY Said:
for some reason, I talk all 'gangstah' and/or South Park, when I scrap.

-k

That's really funny! I listen to Rob Thomas. I know, I know... my kids make fun of me all the time. But I love him. He really is a woman in a man's body, I think. He's soooo sensitive, or I listen to Train. I love Patrick too.

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 12-21-11 12:23 PM
In response to Lunie

Another vote for paper piercer. (I do have the big bite but never take it out) I'm really annoyed that I bought an exacto knife when I could have taken a scalpel from work. Stealing a scalpel from a hospital...I'm so gangsta.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to PDRNC

LOL, yes! THAT would be gansta!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to designguyKORY

I have a 1/16 inch hole punch but just grab the paper piercer.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to prittb

I have used a screwdriver.. the pointy kind ( they do have a name but it has escaped me at the moment). Not the flat kind. Also, I have a teeny screw driver that came with an eyeglass repair kit from the dollar store. Heck, I have even used the point on my ultra fine Fiskars scissors. I am guessing there is something in your kitchen, bathroom or garage that could easily live a double secret agent life.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Phillips screwdriver?

One thing to remember.... if you get a hand-held hole punch, you are limited as to where on the page you can put a hole, so something that pokes a hole is more versatile.

chickynikki35
New Kid On the Block
chickynikki35
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Thank you all for the ideas !! I will try a couple of your great ideas before i go buy something I might not need.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to chickynikki35

A paper piercer is absolutely more versatile for positioning, but if I need to get through ribbon or something like that, a punch gives a little more definition to the hole.

Is the pointy screwdriver an awl? We have a tool that matches our screwdrivers, and is so pointy it came with a sturdy plastic sleeve to go over the tip to keep people from stabbing themselves. It's like a little screwdriver condom.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I always use my big bite - it goes anywhere on the page - even in the cetner of a 12 x 12. Love it.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics