Username Post: Cricut        (Topic#1568287)
denitastroud
New Kid On the Block
denitastroud

Picking up scrapbooking after years. Really want a cricut machine, but am totally lost. Which one? What all do I need? Any help much appreciated
Products Referenced in This Post:

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to denitastroud

I just got a Cricut expression 2 aniversary edition for christmas...and im enjoying playing around with it...i am not a really experenced scrapper/ and deffinately not a pro at the cricut but im loving it.. bby all of the playing around i have done. I hope this helps.

Resident
In response to ellybug312

I have the Original Expression, while I do love it in it's own right. You can no longer get a program that will cut SVG files with it, so you are really limited to what you can get on their expensive carts and what you can eliminate and change in their online design studio (you must own the cart in order to cut the design) or what you can do on the Gypsy if you have one of those.

I also own a Silhouette Cameo, they are similar in price to the expression, I love this machine I can use SCAL with it and cut SVG files, as well as their designs to purchase you purchase by design so you only get what it is that you want. The prices on them start at .99 cents. Also you can buy a monthly membership I have the large one and pay 19.99 a month and get off hand I think its 125 or 150 dollars worth of images for that 19.99 a month.

I guess what I am saying is make sure u consider multiple machines before you decide and commit to purchase one. Also the M's coupons now say you can not purchase Silhouette products with them. There are some places in the states where M's already carries them. Not yet at my M's in Canada. I bought my Silhouette from the site here.

Lydgranger
Resident
Lydgranger
In response to must_love_paper

Depends how much you have to spend. I decided to get an Expressions after my first scrapbook experience about 4 yrs ago. Since then by watching sales and closeouts, I've added Design Studio, a Gypsy-love it-and for this Christmas the Expressions 2 Annivesary-and many carts. I look out for the sales and I even won a Cuttlebug at a craft show. This is a hobby I enjoy and buy those things that make it less stressful and timesaving.

auburntigerx3
Resident
auburntigerx3
In response to Lydgranger

I am getting the Cricut Expression 2 Anniversary edition for my birthday (shh!) next month and we found it on sale at Michael's for cheaper than the regular Expression 2! From my research, it was just the machine I needed for layouts and cardmaking. I don't travel for scrapbooking much, so if you do I'd get the smaller Cricut.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to auburntigerx3

I started out with the little Cricut/original Cricut- whatever it's called. I bought it, used, from a coworker. I loved it so much that I bought the Expression 2 as soon as I could on Thanksgiving Day. I love it-

I've never paid more than 20.00 for a cartridge, tho- well, maybe 24.95- can't remember- but nothing more. Between sales and people on Craigslist selling random carts for 10 bucks, I've got a nice collection going.

-K

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to designguyKORY

Where is the Cricut fairy? I need one to drop by my house and help me. I think I have seen the fairy on youtube... but would love a personal fairy that would make house calls.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I've had my Cricut Personal - the "baby bug" - for just over two years now and still haven't felt compelled to upgrade to the Expression.

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to must_love_paper

I agree completely, my Mom, Sister and I bought the Expression together...it is sitting in my closet collecting dust. I did receive the Sizzix Big Shot for Christmas and have used it quite a bit in the last few days...and NO RIPPED PAPER! So, I guess I would research {like you seem to be doing} and keep your options open! If you do decide on the Cricut, I have a green {hardly used} Expression with a few cartridges that I would gladly part with for a good price!
  • must_love_paper Said:
I have the Original Expression, while I do love it in it's own right. You can no longer get a program that will cut SVG files with it, so you are really limited to what you can get on their expensive carts and what you can eliminate and change in their online design studio (you must own the cart in order to cut the design) or what you can do on the Gypsy if you have one of those.

I also own a Silhouette Cameo, they are similar in price to the expression, I love this machine I can use SCAL with it and cut SVG files, as well as their designs to purchase you purchase by design so you only get what it is that you want. The prices on them start at .99 cents. Also you can buy a monthly membership I have the large one and pay 19.99 a month and get off hand I think its 125 or 150 dollars worth of images for that 19.99 a month.

I guess what I am saying is make sure u consider multiple machines before you decide and commit to purchase one. Also the M's coupons now say you can not purchase Silhouette products with them. There are some places in the states where M's already carries them. Not yet at my M's in Canada. I bought my Silhouette from the site here.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

I like the expression 2.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I just got the Expression and im not sure, jury is out. ive worked with the one during my crop nights without a problem but seems im not having as much luck on my own. i will talk to my "girls" monday during card night. I also have the Cuddlebug...LOVE LOVE LOVE my Cuddlebug.

New Kid On the Block
In response to mars2005

I have the impressions for 4 years I really like it but unless u take a class you can't figure out how to use all the features

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 01-08-12 08:10 AM
In response to craftersroom

i'm going to have to second must_love_paper's response. the only electronic cutter i currently have is the slice and i have been doing research on getting one that is capable of cutting images in larger sizes than the slice. for me, the silhouette cameo is coming out on top. first off, both machines start at the same price. i want to be able to use my own designs and current fonts as well as brushes i currently have for pse and although it seems i can get cricut to do that with the gypsie, i don't want to put that much more $ into it. it looks to me like the advantage cricut has is that you don't need it connected to a computer but i never go to crops so that is not a big selling point for me alhtough it could be for others.
i'm still looking at posts from others as well as youtube videos before coming to my final choice and suggest you continue to do the same. good luck in finding what works the best for you!

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to MoniL

I too am doing research now as I have nothing. The silhouette was suggested to me because I want to make my own designs (not buy a bunch of cartridges). I rarely reuse designs in my scrapbooking, I like to be different everytime, so a cricut that needs individual cartridges for different images sounds like a waste to me.

However the silhouette is still pricy. I was hoping to spend just a little (like 100-150) because I don't scrapbook enough to justify the expense. I don't care if it can't do 12x12 paper, so curious what else is out there.

scrappydawn
New Kid On the Block
scrappydawn
In response to vivasuzi

I have the original Cricut Expression and really like it, although the Silhouette Cameo is on my wish list, since it can be used to cut svg files.

JLarsen747
Governor
JLarsen747

I am a fan of the original Cricut Expression. I use it for everythign that I scrap or make. What a great machine to have on hand.

Edited by JLarsen747 on 01-12-12 12:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics