Username Post: Paper trimmer        (Topic#1568337)
lilyrose
Pro
lilyrose

Hello,
I am looking to buy a new paper trimmer and was looking at Fiskars and purple cow rotary and guillotine type trimmers. Please tell me what kind of trimmer you use and the pros and cons of it.

Thanks, Lori

Edited by lilyrose on 12-28-11 05:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to lilyrose

I've tried larger ones, but the small Fiskars trimmer works best for me.
Products Referenced in This Post:

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to leslief

I have the Making Memories one that everyone use to rave about. I really don't care for it. It's too big and bulky for me.

I just bought a new Fiskars one last night and I'm already in love!

Resident
In response to JayAndXansMom

I bought the fiskars one from M's with a coupon... it has the 6 inch deck and the wire in it... LOVE IT

Chrelaine
Expert
Chrelaine
In response to JayAndXansMom

I have the Purple Cows trimmer and I love it. The only drawback I have is the bulkiness but I don't need to move my trimmer very often.

michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002
In response to lilyrose

I use a cricut trimmer. I liked it at first but the blades have become difficult to find. Only M's ever hasthem in stock. Also the guide has become warped and I have to be careful or it cuts crooked. A new one is on my list. My other Fiskar tools have been awesome so I'll probably go that route.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to michelley2002

I like my fiskars triple track trimmer. I prefer it over a guilotine b/c I can cut holes in the middle of my paper which you can't do with a guilotine.

Also, this version fixed the problem of the blade slightly warping that old fiskars trimmers had. I've probably had this one for 4-5years and it still works great. Some of the grid lines where you lean rubbed off but I just used a slick writer to draw them back on. Good as new.

It's light, portable, has a fold out ruler, gridlines and replacement blades are easy to find (M's).

HTH.

Edited by Scrapbook Queen on 12-28-11 07:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I have three trimmers. No, wait. I have five!!! Holy cow. I only use three of them consistently, though.

I use my Making Memories trimmer at home. I love it. Smooth cuts every time. It is big, bulky, and rather heavy, though. However, I like that I never have to change the blade and since I don't do much more than lift it to put it on the table to cut, then move it out of the way, the weight doesn't bother me. I use it for cutting larger than 6" pieces of paper. For trimming pictures and smaller papers, I use my Creative Memories personal trimmer that has been going strong for at least 5 years, probably longer.

For crops, I use the Fiskars trimmer. I have the orange one. I don't really care for it because it's harder to tell where the blade will cut than it is on my MM trimmer. Since I don't use it unless I'm at crops, it has a bit of a learning curve again for me, and I find that I have to make sure I hold the paper tightly or it shifts.

The other two trimmers I have and rarely use are the Fiskars rotary trimmer. That's the really big one. I just don't have room for it, so it rarely comes out of the box. I do keep it for large projects, though, like I had to use it for a work project one time when I was cutting construction paper.

I also have that trimmer that was sold on tv years ago, with the little light in it. It's cheaply made, but it came with different shaped blades like a stamp edge and a wave edge that are fun to use on occasion, if I want a more subtle shape than what I'd get with a punch. The shapes it cuts are distinguishable from a straight edge, but they're not deep into the edge of the paper.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to siameseplease

I have the original old grey Fiskars small trimmer as well as the desktop model. I also have a Provo Craft trimmer.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to SandraB.

I have the purple cows 2-in-1 and I love it! It is big, but it is not heavy at all. I use the guillotine part more than the rotary side. I also have the mini (photo)fiskars guillotine trimmer for smaller projects and it is also awesome! I like that both cut straight. I used to use the cricut trimmer, but it started cutting crooked and funky even with a new blade.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to HisGEM

I have three that I love.

auburntigerx3
Resident
auburntigerx3
In response to PhotobearSam

I love my fiskars trimmers! I have 3 and they are perfect!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to auburntigerx3

Fiskars 12" and 9".

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to prittb

I have so any trimmers it's not funny and don't like any of them. they all have something I don't like. I need to find the perfect cutter one of these days. I guess the fiskars will get a try again

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to Sneezy1956

I have several trimmers, most from several years ago except the most recent one from Martha Stewart, which I've been using lately for most single sheet cuts. My other trimmers include Fiskars straight-edge, as well as a couple of rotary trimmers. For cutting lots of papers at once, I rely on an old-fashioned wooden guillotine cutter. No blades to change, and it's quick and accurate.

lilyrose
Pro
lilyrose
In response to Solitaire

Thanks everyone. I would really like something with an accurate cut. I think I may have it narrowed down to 2. Decisions, decisions

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to lilyrose

I also have the purple cow 2 in 1, and love it! I got it at Costco several years ago for a great price, and last time I looked my Costco still carried them. I have found that I prefer guillotine cutters.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to luv2scrap:)

I don't think you can beat Fiskars. They are great products and their customer service is outstanding. A previous poster was right in saying the replacement blades are easy to find and a reasonable price. Even my 7 year old students love to use the Fiskars trimmer.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to luv2scrap:)

well, I got myself the CutterPillar Pro (rotary and has a light) and I love it, but it is also much too bulky to take to crops; so, I only use it at home.

For crops I take my blue fiskars.

The only fiskars I really don't like is the one with the wire...it frayed and became completely useless.

I also really don't like the pink trimmer by cutterpede, that rubbery guide is awful and you can't get good cuts. I can't even give that thing away.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics