Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What's the most useless "tip" you recall reading?        (Topic#1568345)
ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing

Looking through an old scrappy magazine tonight, I thought of this topic. "Useless" is subjective so we may all learn a thing or two with this thread!

Anyway, the most useless tip I read was putting painter's tape on stamps to ensure not getting ink on stamps. To me, that is a waste of time. So what if my stamps get a bit of ink on them? If I am careful when using them, I should be fine anyway, and surrounding the image with painters tape is time consuming.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to ktmracing

Hmmm...I've used that tip before, except I would put the tape over the part of the stamped image I didn't want, ink it, and then remove the tape before I stamped. That is actually helpful. The tip you read seems silly to me too.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to scraprabbit

I've heard that tip too, except in the context Sarah mentioned.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing

Oh gosh, what you said is a great tip. I normally stamp the full image then use a q-tip to get rid of the ink on the unwanted part of the image. Your idea is better! I learned something already here!

In my dated mag, they actually do put painters tape over the whole part of the wood surrounded by the rubber...such a waste of time!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to tinacome

• tinacome Said:
I've heard that tip too, except in the context Sarah mentioned.

ditto

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to ktmracing

"Useless" is such a harsh word...
your question may get more responses if you word it more positively like... "What scrapbooking tip didn't work out for you and why?". Then the thread may turn into a "heads-up" learning experience for everyone. Otherwise it's just a list of things that suck.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I can't recall any sucky tips off the top of my head.

The tape around the stamp thing sounds rather silly.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

I often come across tips that seem completely obvious to me, and no need to point it out. Like: "If you are a crafter, you should know that."

Although at this moment, I can't think of any...

This could be an interesting topic. I'll have to think about it.

I don't really understand the tape on the stamp. So it will protect the wood from getting ink on it? Are you supposed to change the tape every time you re-ink? So, you have a nice, clean wood stamp, covered with ugly inked-up painter's tape? Hmmmm..... I have to agree, that's kind of silly.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to Bxr-Linda

I can only venture a guess somebody may be trying to keep the wood pristine in case she wants to sell the stamp someday? Otherwise, it seems a little obsessive. Who has time like that?

reneeann
Veteran
reneeann
In response to Bxr-Linda

Okay lets see if I can help.you do cover the outer edge of the stamp with painters tape. It is to protect the wood or acrylic from getting stained with ink. It does make clean up a bit easier. It depends on you if you want to keep your stamps in excellent condition. Some serious stampers do, esp. if they resell their stamps. You can put the tape on ink thepad, stamp, reink pad stamp again over and over. When done stamping just peel the tape away and throw it away. Some stampers do retape in between each use esp. if it is a stamp that tilits or rocks uneven. This tip works to keep stamp edges clean. I use it mainly when stamping large images over and over where reinking is really necessary. Thats the reason for this particular tip.

The second tip where you cover part of the image/design on rubber/acrylic stamp is considered more a masking tip.
I hope this helps clarify. Good thread/post.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to reneeann

I'm not a stamper, so forgive me if this sounds stupid.

I thought if you were getting ink on the wood part of the stamp, you are doing something wrong (pressing too hard into the ink pad)??

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Bxr-Linda

actually I have found it is very easy to accidentely get ink on the wooden part of wooden stamps especially during storage and going to crops. once the wood is stained, it's very difficult to clean.

I never paid much attention to cleaning stamps until the clear ones came out. Then I got one of these scrubber thingies.

so I suppose if I wanted to REALLY take care of my wooden stamps, taping them with painter's tape is actually a very good idea.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

PS I wanted to mention...there are some REALLY nice wooden stamps out there. The wood grain is visible under a high gloss finish. They look like little pieces of furniture. They range in price around $8-25 each. People display them. I would even venture to say they "collect" them. So the stamp itself has value to them even more so then actually stamping with it.
And then there are antique stamps, some even have carved handles.

this "tape the wooden stamp block" tip may not make sense...
it's like saying "always clean your paint brush throughly with special brush cleaner" and you think why should I bother the brush cost me a buck but the tip is aimed at someone who is using a $15 brush.

reneeann
Veteran
reneeann

Ideally you only put ink on the rubber or acryllic part of the image but it is easy to get it on the wood or glass bar. Esp. if it is a large stamp that needs covering, and you have to cover it. You get better the more you do it and when you learn your stamps, which ones cover more easily. The depth of the grooves in the rubber have a lot to do with it also.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-29-11 01:59 PM

• scraprabbit Said:
Hmmm...I've used that tip before, except I would put the tape over the part of the stamped image I didn't want, ink it, and then remove the tape before I stamped. That is actually helpful. The tip you read seems silly to me too.

I love this tip and back when I would actual make things, instead of collecting them, I used to do this

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to theboydbunch

• theboydbunch Said:
  • scraprabbit Said:

I love this tip and back when I would actual make things, instead of collecting them, I used to do this

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
PS I wanted to mention...there are some REALLY nice wooden stamps out there. The wood grain is visible under a high gloss finish. They look like little pieces of furniture. They range in price around $8-25 each. People display them. I would even venture to say they "collect" them. So the stamp itself has value to them even more so then actually stamping with it.

it's like saying "always clean your paint brush throughly with special brush cleaner" and you think why should I bother the brush cost me a buck but the tip is aimed at someone who is using a $15 brush.

So, are you saying it may be silly to do with my $1 wood stamps?

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • Gelidy Gelato Said:

So, are you saying it may be silly to do with my $1 wood stamps?

you have a bunch of those dollar bin stamps too?
the first thing I always do is ripped those puppies right off their wood mounts.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I know people that save tiny scraps because they might use them later. For me, the more scraps I save the less I look through them. I have cut all of my scraps into mats or 1.5 x 12 inch strips. I use them more often this way. I think if I did cards or more intricate designs I might use smaller scraps. One lady on tv said she always used the scraps from the paper punch. Oy.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to 950nancy

Gosh, I'm almost embarrassed to say I don't care if my stamps get stained or the wooden blocks get ink on them. But then I don't plan to sell them either. Maybe I'd care more if that was the case. Sometimes I even go so far as to just lightly wipe them with a baby wipe or blot them really good on a blank piece of paper. I guess I'm just the rebellious type!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics