Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: my first 2 years scrapping        (Topic#1568435)
jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

I started scrapping in Dec. 2009. I am just now starting to feel comfortable with my own style; I have stopped trying to be someone else. Some things I've learned about myself: I do not like to use overly "busy" paper, no matter how pretty; I have no imagination when it comes to stickles, I do not like alphabet stickers because I never have enough of the letters I need, I prefer muted earth-tones when it comes to paper, embossing with my Cuttlebug is good enough for me, I am not addicted to Tim Holtz stuff (honestly, I think his stuff that I've seen looks oddly the same) and I need to make a realistic scrappy budget and stick to it! I have a simple style, and that's ok with me now--I have stopped comparing myself to others in the gallery. It's been an exciting 2 years. I need to update my gallery b/c the LOs there are from last spring and summer (when I joined SB.com) and my style has evolved a lot since then (but every time I try to upload pictures, it takes forever so I give up).

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to jaspernonyx

Good for you

Perhaps your images are too big when uploading....have you tried re-sizing them?

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to scrappercaz

Congrats on making the 2 year level! I hate uploading images ... I scrap and scrap, putting off the inevitable, and then just do a bunch all at once. To me it's the only unpleasant, tedious part of the whole process. I think it's just my computer is too old and slow probably.

Edited by flightobl on 12-30-11 05:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to RockStar

I upload all my work to Facebook to share with my family, but I upload only a small portion of it to my gallery here. Which I'm okay with.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to aquabunny

I hardly upload my LOs either and since I have been scrapping since 2004 I have hundreds. In fact, I have not uploaded any for several months. I am happy with my style too - I have tried to add flowers but just can't get the hang of it too. Budget wise - I am trying to use my stash!!!!!!!!!

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to prittb

I know exactly what you mean....I started scrapping in April 2010 and I just had a breakthrough last month.....I needed to print my photos smaller and place more on the page. See, I take a ton of photos and I want to include a lot. Once I started printing them smaller, I was so happy with my layouts.

I have to upload some new ones too as I just love what I have been making lately.

Congrats on your two years. It nice when we can have ourselves figured out. Can't wait to see your new layouts.

Cricutgirlg
Pro
Cricutgirlg
In response to PhotobearSam

Good for you! It great to find your own way and not allow others to guide your creativity. Now, you are coming into your own and you'll find you are having even more fun creating your LOs.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Cricutgirlg

I love the list you posted about what you know you don't like.

I love the Tim Holtz distress inks for some things but the rest of his things really are not my style. I've seen layout that just scream "Tim Holtz" all over them and they are drop-dead gorgeous! But they re not me.

I bought a lot of pretty scenic papers that have large things on them that sometimes take up the entire page. Although I've used a few, I know I don't enjoy scrapping with paper like that and now I avoid buying it. I would rather use dots or stripes or some kind of pattern that just bings out the color.

I like journaling - I learned that fast. I want to know the story behind the pictures.

One thing I do like but don't use much is circles. I need to do more of that becuase some of my favorite layouts were made using circles.

I know that I love going to the gallery for inspiration but don't compare myself to the ones in the gallery. Many are digital and I'm not going to reach that level of perfection with paper and cutter. Some do, but I never will. However, there are great ideas to get me started.

I also am not fond of using stickles either, only bought 4 and will probably never open them. It's been 3 years.

It's taken me 4 years to get comfortable with my style becuase I judge it as being much too plain. But since I quit comparing, I'm much more pleased with it.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to Henri Jean

Figuring out what you do and don't like is a great thing. I've been scrapping since 1998 (approx) and I have come to realize the following:

1. I don't like Tim Holtz style on my pages. Sure some of it is fun to play with but no matter how hard I try, I cannot make his products work on my pages.

2. Stickles don't ever end up on my pages either because I am too impatient with the drying time. I use them on card embellies that I can let sit to dry while I work on something else.

3. Flowers don't work well on boy pages and 95% of what I scrap is boy pages. Love them on cards though!

4. I started out scrapping the Creative Memories way and have pretty much stuck to the clean and classy style. My focus is always on the photos and journaling and not on the "stuff" around the photos. I am a very conservative scrapper when it comes to embellishments and I am good with that. There is no right or wrong way to do this hobby!

5. 8.5 x 11 is my most favorite size. 12x12 overwhelms me. And, I prefer to do 2 page spreads over one pagers.

6. Project life is one of the neatest projects I have done so far and knowing that at the end of the day tomorrow, our 2011 will be completely photographed and documented is totally Awesome in my book! And on January 1, I will be welcoming the start of Project Life 2012!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Shutterbugg

I think that's what I love the most about scrapbooking - you are free to develop your own style, to find what works and what doesn't work for you. I absolutely LOVE looking at the real artistic pages - those ones that are just gorgeous - but I could never do them. I have neither the talent nor patience, and as much as I love looking at them, they simply aren't me. Becoming comfortable with your own style takes the stress out of scrapping and makes it truly fun.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to dwelch

Happy birthday DWelch!

I don't have a style. I just do what feels right. I remember when I first started out, I used to feel bad because my stuff did not look like others and I did not get a lot of love in the gallery (I did get some and I appreciate the comments). Now, it no longer matters. I do this for the fun and relaxation of it! Congrats to you finding your style!

darkchami
Expert
darkchami
In response to HisGEM

What a wonderful post! I've been at this for 5 years and still haven't settled on a style.

Here's the list of what I've learned so far:

1. I still do compare myself to people in the gallery. Though I will never produce that perfect page, I like that it pushes me to do something different. I'm no artist, but I like to push my own boundaries. That being said, I can see my flaws and still be very proud of what I've created.

2. It's okay to use that paper I've bought instead of waiting for a "special" occasion. It's just paper. Even if I can't buy that same one again, there is definitely a different one out there that is just as gorgeous.

3. I love stamping. When I started I thought stampers were a bit crazy. You can ruin your LO with those things! But now I'm addicted.

4. Tim Holtz inks are wonderful for backgrounds and distressing. Everything else I can live without.

5. Stickles... I thought to myself, when and how would I ever use those things? Now I find myself thinking, "I wish I had a brown Stickles for those flower centers."

6. I've learned that making your own embellishments is a lot cheaper. There are all kinds of videos on YouTube. I've also learned... making your own embellishments takes forever. If you want to get a page done today, buy what you need!

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to darkchami

Good for you!

Thats whats so great about scrapping-there is no right or wrong =)

One thing I've realized about myself as I browse thru the gallery is I love bling-I really do. I just can't bring myself to spend $6 on a crystal swirly thing. Cause with me I can't buy just one...I'd need one in each color

I have a serious paper addiction...I have enough paper to last me til I'm 125...but yet I keep buying more. I am proud to say though that I now actually use my "special" paper instead of just hoarding it. What's the point of buying it if I'm not gonna use it?

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 12-31-11 07:13 AM
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I'm like a tadpole here... just started this hot mess in the late summer of 2011. I want to put in my 2 cents for Tim Holtz' products here. My first lo is covered in distress inks but nobody would say it screams Tim Holtz at all. It is all mine I also did a fussy/girly lo and the papers were all Tim Holtz and the inks were all his distress inks. Tim Holtz has made his artistic style clear but his products aren't limited to that style, IMO. I can't say enough about his inks. It's true that I haven't tried other similar inks but I have found these to be goof proof and my collection is getting very tall. I want a bunch of his die cuts as well. Many of them are classic and can be used in many different themed/styled lo's. I don't have many pictures to scrap in Tim Holtz style... but that man is an artist! I've watched his videos where he just swirls and splats and comes up with something beautiful.

Barbara

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Lunie

I want to make wonderful memories for my son to look back on when he's grown....I also LOVE the "craft" of it! I love making my own embellishments, diecutting, embossing, inking, colouring, sewing, painting, using gesso...all of it!
A lot of my pages are inspired by a new technique or product I want to try...and therefore, may look completely different than the last page I did, LOL!
Alison Happy New Year!

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Mayor
KVRLVN
In response to kiyawinn

I don't really have a style either I just do what I like. I've been scrapbooking since 2004 and haven't really gotten into it until this year when I finally found some scrapbooking sites and started "learning". I look back on my layouts in the beginning and it's like "wow, what was I thinking", but oh well. I have definetly evolved also.

1.) I don't compare my myself to others in the gallery. Everyone's styles and tastes are different. I do use for inspiration and ideas.

2.) I don't care for the style of Tim Holtz either. I like beachy/tropical and pastels. He stuff is too vintage.

3.) I do not like stamps, inks or copics. I tried it and I don't like it.

4.) I have never owned any die cutting machine. But, I am considering a Cameo. Haven't made a decision yet.

5.) I have never used Stickles and probably won't.

6.) I don't like journaling. I feel the picture is worth a 1,000 words. I don use titles and dates.

7.) I have posted most of my current projects in the gallery. I found if you use the multiple uploader and only do up to 4 at a time, it works better.

8.) I would love to participate in some of the challenges, but they seem to never meet my type of layouts or products. This hobby can get expensive, so I don't make layout for random purposes.

I hope as I go along I learn more and more. I really love scrapbooking/crafting and sharing with others who enjoy it also.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to KVRLVN

Oh my, everyone's really started to open up about themselves, I thought this would be a great topic! So, a couple of more thoughts:

Not big on making titles, for some reason I always forget lol! But I do love to journal, alot, but I like to hide most of them somewhere on the lo, so hidden journalling is a big thing of mine.

I do like to try new techniques when I make the time to, and am getting over the idea that I'm destroying paper in the process. It is just paper, if I mess it up, I can buy more.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RockStar

The more I scrapbook the more I try to establish a balance between photos and journaling with a few embellies thrown in sometimes. I just want the embellies not to overpower the photos and journaling.

I came across a scrapbook from 1969 of my husband and me when we were dating.

I am kicking myself for not journaling it. One picture he is carrying me piggy-back. Where were we? Did I hurt my ankle? Were we horsing around? Were we with friends?

Another we are holding a cake that says, "Happy Anniversary." Was it our dating anniversary, First Kiss Anniversary? Anniversary of when we met? Was there a party and who had it for us? Was it a surprise party?

Other pictures with friends in them. Who are they? I want to know the stories behind all the pictures. I know they each have a story, but I don't remember it. Those stories are gone forever. Even some of my children's pictures - what's going on? What's the story?

The more I scrap the more I realize that I love journaling and do more and more of it. Especially travel layouts. I try to capture every detail in my journaling.

That is one thing I have learned since I started scrapbooking in 2007-2008. I want each layout to tell a story. And I especially love when I can put a silly or humorous story with it.

Now that I have been scrapping for a while I find that I'm more comfortable with patterned paper and use cardstock mostly for matting. For nearly four years most of my layouts were done on plain cardstock. I didn't use much patterned paper. I bought it, rarely used it. Now I use it.

I also found out that I love glitter but i don't like working with it becuase I make a mess.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to Henri Jean

Ok....I will share,

Not a fan of vintage look.

I mat a lot of photos and sometimes I mat them several times.

I do mostly two page layouts. I have so many pics of each event that one page would not do.

I can't do a one photo layout...,l.i just can't

I am not good at mixing and matching papers together. I must start working on that more,

I get more done at a crop than by myself.

I am an extremely slow scrapper.

Smaller photos are a big help to me.

I am not much into journalist but I am working on it,

I LOVE this hobby.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to PhotobearSam

I love Tim Holtz "style", bling, flowers, layering, torn edges, stickles, ink . . . the more embellies the better! Nestabilities? I'd use all of them on a single page if they'd fit.

I'm more into the "artistic" side of scrapping than the "memories" side. I think that's why I've gravitated to cards as opposed to layouts. I'm not a fan of the clean and simple stuff. I've seen some that are amazing, though.

Like everyone said, no wrong way to scrap!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics