Username Post: Better than a Cricut?        (Topic#1568805)
New Kid On the Block

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you can help. I want to purchase a machine cutter that is cheaper than a Cricut and can scan clipart and cut from that, as well. What product do you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Jen

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-05-12 12:18 PM
In response to beadergoingnuts

Hi there. Any machine that could do this will not be cheaper than a Cricut - at least up front. Machines like the Gazelle, Silhouette, and Black Cat are all computer driven and come with software so you can cut any font, any image, etc. They are all more expensive than the Cricut, however for the Cricut you have to keep buying cartridges to get more images and that's where it gets really expensive.

To my knowledge (although I could be wrong), none of these machines will scan, you'll have to scan the images separately and import them to your cutting software. Also you'll have to do a little work in the software to make a scanned image cuttable, it's not an automatic thing.

I have a Gazelle and love it to pieces, WAY better than a Cricut imo.

Edited by stick on 01-05-12 12:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to stick

I have the Silhouette and totally agree with stick above

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to SuperAllyFan

I have the silhouette sd and can scan something on my regular scanner, open it in the free silhouette software and trace and cut with just a few clicks.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-05-12 05:02 PM
In response to Rosita

• Rosita Said:
I have the silhouette sd and can scan something on my regular scanner, open it in the free silhouette software and trace and cut with just a few clicks.

Yeah, depending on the image it can be really fast on my Gazelle software too. Sometimes I create cutting files from photos, very low resolution clip art, or images that are just messy for one reason or another - these take more tweaking, sometimes a lot.

anganny609
New Kid On the Block
anganny609
In response to stick

I have a silhouette SD also and love it I was so close to buying a cricut and am sooooo glad I didn't!!

AniPie
AniPie 
Tenant
AniPie
In response to anganny609

Micheal's has the Slice machines on clearance for $40 and design cards for $10... you may want to look into this. But, search on here to see what people think about it. I have found people love them or they hate them, strong feelings both ways. Good Luck!!! Let us know what you end up with!

milo1605
New Kid On the Block
milo1605
In response to AniPie

The Cricut Mini are pretty cheap (only $120) and it fit for my allowance and savings It is actually really good and easy to use.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics