Page 1 of 20 
Username Post: Scrap Area Organization Challenge        (Topic#1568843)
DaNel Hicks
Diva
DaNel Hicks

Welcome to the Scrap Area Organization Challenge...

The object of this challenge is to make your Scrap Area work better for you. There will be ways to make a messy scrap area clean. There will be ways to make a clean scrap area even better.

You can sign up or leave at any time. Just post that you want to participate for each weekly challenge.

I will be giving weekly organizational challenges every Monday. The Challenge will be closed on Sunday. This way if you choose to purchase something to make your area better you have time to go to the store. If your area is in a huge mess then this gives you time to really get things sorted.

I will post 2 or 3 levels of each challenge so if you already have things organized you can take it to the next level and still participate.

I will keep this same topic list going through the year 2012 and will post a new topic for 2013.

I encourage you to ask questions and tell us how your area is so we can help you when you get stuck. Sometimes what works for one person does not work for another. Sometimes a mixture of two ways will even work better.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I hope I made this clear enough.

.........Now let's get to Organizing!!! ..........

DaNel Hicks
Diva
DaNel Hicks
In response to DaNel Hicks

This weeks Challenge:

March 19 - March 25

Let's organize our biggest trouble spot. This will be an individual challenge for each person.

Take 15 minutes a day and work on the spot that is the most disorganized. Ask for suggestions here if your really stuck.

March 26 - April 1

This week we are cleaning our desk off again. Put everything away that you are not currently working on.

March 5 - March 11

This week we are going to organize our brads, eyelets, and beads.

What do you do to organize these items? I put them in small containers by color.

Jan 27 - Feb 5

This week we are going to work on our Stamps and ink pads. Figure out what colors you have, what you need, see if you need to re-ink any for future use.

For your stamps make sure you don't have any accidental duplicates and put them in categories so you can find them quickly.

Feb 13 - Feb 19

Ribbon Ribbon everywhere. Can't find what you need when working.

This week we will be working on our Ribbons. Sort by color, style, brand, how ever will work best for you.

Do you want it hanging? in a drawer? in a tote? Think of how it will need to be for you to get to it the easiest.

Everyone please feel free to ask questions on how to get over the hump that you have with ribbon. If you have a great way to sort your ribbon please let us know.

Feb 6 - Feb 12

Ok. We have done the paper, and the adhesives. Now we need to work on all the embellishments.

This week we are going to sort through all the stickers. I know I'm cutting down the the amount of stickers that I use and I'm moving towards more flowers and 3D type embellishments.

So this week
1. Sort the stickers into categories so you can find them easily. Many people use 3 ring binders with page protectors so stickers can be found easily.
2. Pick out the ones that you know that you will never use and set them aside to give to someone that is just starting out, or to a classroom at a school.
3. Take inventory of what you have, what you need, and make a shopping list to keep in your purse. This way when you are at the store and something is on sale you know what to look for.

Jan 30 - Feb 5

We all use adhesives of some sort. Some use more types than others. This week we are going to gather up our adhesives and organize them all into the same spot and make a note of what we are low on.

Jan 23 - Jan 29

What does every one of us use on each and every scrapbook page we create?

Paper.

This week our challenge is to organize our paper supply. This is all paper supply including scraps.

Jan 16 - Jan 22 Challenge

This week's challenge may be an easy one for some of you or a real challenge for others.

This week's challenge is to clean off your work area. Put everything that is currently sitting on your desk (that does not belong) away.

If you don't know where something should go that is ok. Just put is somewhere you can find it and we will be eventually putting those things away too.

Remember we will be taking baby steps and doing one thing a week. So this week. Clean off that scrap desk/table.

Jan 9 to Jan 15:

The main goal this week is for you to figure out what categories your scrap area needs.

Jan 2 through Jan 8:
For this challenge I want you to look at your scrap area and write down what you like about it and what you do not like about it. Post this list to the group.

Edited by DaNel Hicks on 03-26-12 04:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms

First - YES. I NEED to participate!

Challenge #1.

I really like that I have adequate storage and plenty of space.

I don't like my scrap desk. It's not big enough for me to really spread out a project and have room to work. One of my friends told me that she got a scrap door from a reject pile at the local overhead door store, so I'm going to go get one myself. I hope they have some solid wood ones like she got - that way I can really USE it!

That's my first plan. To redo my desk.

DaNel Hicks
Diva
DaNel Hicks
In response to GentlewoodFarms

I have a metal outside door (for a warehouse) as my scrapdesk. I like the metal version because you don't score it when cutting.

I have it sitting on two shelves in the corner of my room.

This is an older photo. (my area has changed some) I will take another photo today after I get back from trail riding as a before for this challenge)

My Scrap Area By DaNel Hicks

Here are the shelves that are holding up the door.
http://www.target.com/p/Prospace-Chrome-3-T ier-Shelving...

Edited by DaNel Hicks on 01-06-12 04:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn

I'd love to borrow some of your organization skills.

I love most everthing about my room except it doesn't flow as well as I'd like. I think I need more surface areas.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

Yay! I'm in. Nice to meet all of you & thanks for hosting!

• DaNel Hicks Said:
Jan 2 through Jan 8:
For this challenge I want you to look at your scrap area and write down what you like about it and what you do not like about it. Post this list to the group.

{Scraproom 2011} By KellyCali

- I absolutely LOVE the fact that I have a ton of natural light during the day & until the sun goes down. I also especially love that my room is located in a corner room of the house.

- A couple of items that I do not like...Clutter under my desk. Too much stuff. And a bunch of uncompleted labeling that I would like to get done!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to KellyCali

Oh I am in! Will get a before photo when I get home from work.

I love where my room is going, DH is helping me re do the storage space, a new embellie center and jetmax cubes in the closet. And the natural light is fabulous.

But I am not fond of how my die cutting areas are set up and am in need of a new chair, preferably an office chair.

Lorilaii
New Kid On the Block
Lorilaii

I'm in!! I have been working on setting up my room so this challenge will help tons, thanks for setting it up.

What I like about my room
- I just repainted it from a dark butterscotch color to a bright yellow green and it is so much lighter now.
- I have alot of storage.

What I don't like about my room
- My work surface is WAY too small. I thought it would be enough, but it's not. I drool over pictures of rooms with the counters that run the length of the wall.
- I have alot of storage, but I can't seem to figure out the best way to use it. I am one of those people who don't use it if I can't see it, but also hate clutter so it's been difficult figuring out how to meet in the middle so I spend my time scrapping and not searching for what I want. (My husband teases me all the time that he thinks I enjoy the moving the supplies around more than I enjoy using them hehe)

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to provinca

I love looking at other scrappy spaces. This challenge is going to be so much fun!

coffeejunkie
Veteran
coffeejunkie
In response to tinadn

This challenge is exactly what i need! Thanks for hosting!

what i like about my scrap area -
*my desk is right beside a window
*for the supplies and products that i own, i have a decent amount of storage (i just don't think i'm using it all to its full potential)

what i don't like about my scrap area -
*it's very cramped (i only have a corner of my bedroom)
*i have a lot of things that i consider "uncategorized" that don't have a place so they just kind of clutter up my desk
*my desk is too small to spread out as much as i'd like while i work

forevervampress
Queen
forevervampress
In response to coffeejunkie

I'm in! I really need this!

This is my scraproom when I first got a room to scrap in:

Scraproom After By Forevervampress

- I love the cleanliness of it, the way it looked streamlined and organized.

- I love all the cubbies and the large work area.

- I hate how disorganized it is now. I buy a lot of scrappy supplies and every surface of this room is covered in stuff.

- I would like to have a place for everything so that I am not always looking for tools or embellies.

miller.melissa.09
Expert
miller.melissa.09
In response to forevervampress

Me! I need serious help!

Love: I can stand at my table to work
Love the natural light

Dislike: Very small work space
Practically no storage
It's so disorganized its hard to keep clean
Not really my own area

Complaints aside, I was finally able to clean out a small closet upstairs, now I just need to find a way to make it work.

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34
In response to miller.melissa.09

thanks DaNel for hosting... great idea!!
I am in -
here is mine
my room December 2011 By Leokc34

Love - bathroom with sink attached
Love - large multipurpose table
Love - I can do anything with it

Hate - it is in the basement
Hate - it is all mixed up... nothing matches

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to leokc34

I'm in! Just moved, and my studio is in need of a serious makeover.

what I like about my studio is that there is pleanty of storage space to use, what I don't like is that all of it is built in, too deep, too high to work on with out a draft stool, one tiny window, and the whole room is seriously UGLY with unfinished partical board walls, and a half tiled celing. and awful wood countertops (it's a work room off of what use to be the garage, which we renoed and is now my bedroom.)

DaNel Hicks
Diva
DaNel Hicks
In response to Scrappin Kitty

After reading everyone'e posts this week's challenge will hopefully help the most people. If this challenge is one that you do not need help with please post what you do for this topic so others can gain inspiration.

Weekly Challenge for Jan 9 to Jan 15:

I have a ton of embellishments, extras, scraps of paper that can still be used and so forth and so on. So I needed a way to get to each item more easily. I have this tendency to not want to look for something so to use it an item needs to be handy.

The main goal this week is for you to figure out what categories your scrap area needs.

Here are mine for an example:

1. punches
2. Stamps
3. Inks
4. Paper
5. eyelets/brads
6. pens/markers
7. daily tools
8. reference books
9. glues/adhesives
10. lettering
11. Cricut Cartridges
12. Embossing dry
13. Embossing wet
14. stickles
15. Embellishments
16. Scrap Paper (useable)
17. Ribbon
18. Buttons

That is all that is required for this week's challenge. Here is the next step if you choose to do more.

I had the above list (and still do) but needed to have things together more. So last month I went to Dollar Tree and purchased containers (for $1 each) and got my label maker out.

I made the following categories and put my eyelets, brads, pages of lettering, scraps of papers, ribbons, buttons, and anything else I could find that fit these categories and put them into the tubs.

I started out by buying 15 tubs ($15) and had to go back because Reds got so full I make Pink its own tub. I had just enough Travel stuff that it needed it's own tub and so on.

Animals/zoo
Baby
Birthday
Black
Blue
Brown
Christmas
Fall
Green
Grey
Halloween
Orange
Metals (silver, gold, bronze, etc)
Pink
Purple
Red
School
Sports
Travel
Valentines
Vintage
Wedding
White
Yellow

So far I've gone through my brads, eyelets, ribbon, buttons, stickers, embellishment and lettering areas and put them into these totes. I got most of it done in December. I still have to go through my usable Scrap paper and so on.

I do plan on pulling brads/eyelets and buttons out of these tubs in the future and having them in their own area but for right now I have them with the catagory/color that they are. This is also to show you that just because it isn't the way you want it in the end it is a good idea to change things to help you get to that end.

If you choose to take step 1 a bit further this week I want to challenge you to sorting your items into piles, tubs, or so on. Make sure to keep your scrap desk / table clear for scrapping since this challenge will be done in between scrapping projects.

I'm organizing my Scrap Area By DaNel Hicks

Organizing By DaNel Hicks

I also wanted to say that my punches, stamps, and inks are NOT in these boxes. They are in their own totes and will stay there.

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty

my sections are:
pp
cs
embelies
letters
tools
paint
inks
alchohol inks
stickles
glitter
mists
adhesives
computer station
alterable materials (I have 3 etsy shops, so have lots of raw supplies for them)
office records/tools
stamps
punches
embossing dies
finished product area
finished scrapbook area
finished card holder
bling area

Thankfuly all of my stuff is sorted already into these areas, but the placement of all of it in my room doesn't work for me.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Scrappin Kitty

Do you think you could post the weekly challenges in red or post them all up in the first post as we go for a quick/easy way to find them?

Off to start this week's challenge!

DaNel Hicks
Diva
DaNel Hicks
In response to MrsAnnieS

• MrsAnnieS Said:
Do you think you could post the weekly challenges in red or post them all up in the first post as we go for a quick/easy way to find them?

Off to start this week's challenge!

The weekly challenges are the top part of the second post of the board. (The first post being about the challenge & the second post being a list of challenges.)

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34

oh... what it needs... everything@!! lol

cricut area
scrap paper area
paper area
punches
mists
stickles
bling
markers
stamps
ribbon

right now I have my ribbons on the wall being hung up with string... I am too cheap to go and buy a ribbon holder - lol... i need to think outside the box to find a way to hold them - any suggestions.
I have pushed string through them all and they are just hanging like a banner. I don't want to think about it if the middle one needs to come down - I believe that my cricut obsession has been replaced with ribbon!

I also need a spot to store my pics better - since I am in the basement I am so worried that they will get wet if I ever have a flood

kdinsmore
Guru
kdinsmore
In response to leokc34

May I join in on the fun? I organized my scraproom last January, but my stash grew over the winter!

Page 1 of 20 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics