Username Post: Mini books        (Topic#1568927)
New Kid On the Block

I am brand new to scrapbooking and I am interested mainly in making mini books with some of the Tim Holtz dies that I just purchased along with a Bigkick. This is my question, and I apologize ahead of time for sounding so dumb! I want to cut out chipboard for the minibook pages and use paper to cover the those pages. Do I adhere the paper to the chipboard before or after cutting out the shapes. My thought is that if I glue first, it will gum up the dies, but if I glue after, I'm not sure it will fit perfectly. Also, what kind of adhesive would be the best for this kind of thing. I want to start with the Baroque and Mini Baroque dies. Thanks SO much for any advice you can give this newbie!!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to artluver22

Welcome! You can adhere the pages either before or after you cut. I prefer to adhere mine after. After I do, I sand the edges down and then ink them up. This helps blend the paper to the chipboard, and will cover up any imperfections that might occur when applying the paper after the cuts are made. As for adhesive, I just use my ATG. I will touch up little spots with a glue pen.

Ms. Mom
Expert
Ms. Mom

I cut mine separately and then adhere them together. I too think the glue would gunk it up. I cut them separately when I use the dies at my LSS and they always fit together just fine. I usually ink or paint my edges. I can't really suggest any specific glue cause I use Beacons 3-in-1 and my ATG for everything. I don't know if there is a better adhesive for this type of project cause this works for me and I haven't tried anything else.

New Kid On the Block

Oh ladies... thank you so much! That has helped enormously!!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

I was wondering the same thing, thanks for asking this question!

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee

I use Mod Podge on minis and love that I can move and adjust until I get it perfect.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to theellenbee

Yup mod podge is great for adhering pps after you cut your shapes. Although I have done both before and after adhering paper and I've never had an issue with adhesive sticking up my dies.

If you opt to adhere after you've cut having a brayer is a huge help to get a good stick. You don't need to invest in an actual brayer either, I roll a glue bottle back and forth over the pages a few times and it works just the same

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to theellenbee

I never thought of Mod Podge. I just got some and i am playing with making some picture frames. learning as i go. can you paint on top of Mod Podge? reason i ask is i messed up on one and thought id paint little dots (to look like pearls) around the center (a heart). or maybe was thinking Liquid Pearls

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mars2005

I typically adhere my paper to the cardboard before cutting the pages. I use an ATG for the glue and it has not gunked up my dies.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to aquabunny

I've tried modge podge but it was too messy for me. I just use my ATG. I cut them separate and ink the edges.

I love making minis...they're like itsy bitsy scrapbooks and great for gift cards

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I diecut separately and adhere afterwards. Adhesive will not damage your dies unless it is still wet when you cut and even then, I can't imagine much damage other than some adhesive getting on the foam of the die and ruining your next diecut. Good luck--sounds like a cute idea for books!!

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to Jennifer Priest

Just a heads up... I (and I've heard this from others too) have found Mod Podge to be too sticky and never completely dry in my climate (east coast of Canada). Although many say it works fine for them. From what I've heard it seems to depend on where you live, or maybe even on your air quality in your house.

If it's your first time using it, I'd test out mod podge before using it on a mini album that you've worked so hard to make. (I've had pages stick together and tear even using a tiny amount of MP and waiting days for it to dry!) I've thrown away my mod Podge and now I use Claudine Helmuth multi medium in its place. It dries completely and pages never stick and tear like they did with mod podge. But if Mod Podge works for you, I believe it's cheaper, so I'd try it out!

Lately I've been suing my ATG to adhere paper to chipboard pages... getting lazy, I guess! Happy scrapping!

New Kid On the Block
In response to mercytiara

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and advice. Yesterday I tried both... adhering paper to chipboard before and after using a die on the Bigkick. I would say that I like the way it looks better by adhering the paper (cardstock)first and cutting after. It looks neater--maybe when I get better I will do it the other way. I tried the sanding of the edges and that's a great tip, as well as coloring the edges with Distress Stain. BTW, the only thing I had handy was YES paste so I used that and it works GREAT! I had bought an ATG online but it hasn't come yet so I will def try that. The dies I was using had ornate edges so I think using tape would be harder than a swoop of the glue/paste. Anyway, this group is great... I will be checking in often! Thanks again!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics