Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Sizzix machines        (Topic#1568943)
dscrap1
New Kid On the Block
dscrap1

I have been scrapbooking for 17 years, so I am very practical with my supplies. I invested in a Sizzix machine ten years ago and have one font and several other dies for it. I don't use it much since I got a Cricut Exp. I have been wondering about embossing techniques and have considered getting a Big Shot and some embossing templates, but I have no idea what goes with which machine! There are several kinds of machines that emboss. I am looking for some advise about what to buy. Anyone out there that can help?

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to dscrap1

I own the Cricut Expression, the Original Wizard Spellbinder, and the Big Shot (Well, actually, I just bought the SLICE today, but that's another story!) I really like the Big Shot for my card making because it doesn't just make die-cuts, it embosses them, too. It can use all the Spell binders (Except for the Grand ones) and the Nesties, Cuttlebug and Sizzix. There is a chart somewhere on this this site comparing them all. That's what I used before making my decision.
Have fun shopping!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to leslief

So, let me make sure I've got this right. You still have the original "big red"? That is, the original sizzix with the handle that you push down? No need to buy a new machine for embossing!!! The embossing folders fit just fine in that one. I emboss with mine all of the time. I also use spellbinders in mine. The only spellbinders I can't use are the Grand Nesties, and you need a Grand Calibur for those, anyway.

If you want some of the Bigz dies or the Tim Holtz dies, not all of them will fit, but for embossing, it works like a charm. I love mine!

You can find how to videos on youtube. It's easy peasy to emboss or use spellbinders in the big red.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to siameseplease

I have the Big Shot and the Grand Calibur. I love them both. The Big Shot handles all the Bigz dies and Tim Holtz dies perfectly and embosses everything except the Grand Nestabilities. Good luck with your decision

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to dscrap1

I had the Big Red too. I also had the sidekick which cut the sizzlets & quickutz. I have lots of sizzlet alphabets. I got a Big Shot last May. I am in love!! I love that I do not have to move the die around the old big red to get it to cut the whole die. I also love that it will hold 6 sizzlets at a time. When I cut titles, it is so much easier than doing them one at a time. I also started an addiction to Spellbinders, Bigz dies, reg sizzix dies. Of course I love that it embosses too.

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to anda11

I am with Gina {siameseplease}...the original sizzix will work with folder embossing...I did, however, get the big shot for Christmas and it fits everything BIGZ Dies, etc... {although the original sizzix owes me nothing}.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to JazzieLynne

A friend just gave me her big red Sizzix and a ton of dies and some embossing folders Friday and I am learning about it. I know it is old and outdated but I have no other machine so it is better than nothing to me.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Trina_P

"Old" doesn't have to mean "outdated." "No longer in production" doesn't have to mean "useless." In an industry where great products are discontinued after less than six months because it's time to move on to the next trend or product line, it's a point of pride for me to actively use Sizzix dies almost ten years old and to be able to buy the same patterned papers I was buying back in college. Don't you ever let anyone make you feel ashamed of Big Red.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to aquabunny

True words, Aquabunny! I love my Big Red. I cut felt, chipboard, and other unconventional materials, and so far, there hasn't been a "must have" die for me that doesn't fit. I even found a doily die that will fit in it. I also like the lever action better than turning a handle. I know that the newer machine is electric or something, but I don't want to plug in yet another thing.

I can't say it enough: I LOVE MY BIG RED!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

I should add that I have the Slice and use my Sizzix Big Red much more than I use it. Although I like the Slice, I use the Big Red more.

Sharyn01
Tenant
Sharyn01
In response to aquabunny

I have Big Red and a Cricut Create (is that what its called, the little one?) My go to almost every time is my Big Red. I love that thing...I have looked at buying newer products but really other than the Create only using 6x12 papers, I see no reason to go with anything newer. Dont feel because it isn't the newest thing out there, its not as good. I dont really have a need for anything bigger, granted Cricut has some cartridges that I cant use in my machine but I find that saves me on scrapping expenses. lol

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Sharyn01

I would get a Big Shot only if you want to use the Bigz Dies and the XL (6x12) dies. If you want to do all the dies, including the 12x12, then I would get a Pro machine.

I would not get the Grand Calibur because I personally do not like the way to gears are set and it only takes the thin metal dies. I got rid of mine. Like Alton Brown from Food Network says, no uni-taskers in his kitchen, I don't like uni-takers in my scraproom

If your red machine is working fine for you, no need to replace it unless you just want to hth

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Jennifer Priest

I have the cricut and cuttlebug. I love the cuttlebug and use it more than the cricut.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to prittb

if you are interested in a different machine - Then I would wait to get a bargain price. What you have will work just fine!! Check out videos on you tube for how to demos!!!

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 01-09-12 02:06 PM

• siameseplease Said:
So, let me make sure I've got this right. You still have the original "big red"? That is, the original sizzix with the handle that you push down? No need to buy a new machine for embossing!!! The embossing folders fit just fine in that one. I emboss with mine all of the time. I also use spellbinders in mine. The only spellbinders I can't use are the Grand Nesties, and you need a Grand Calibur for those, anyway.

so if the spellbinders work with it, shouldn't the new sizzix ones that just came out to match the hero art stamps work too? has anyone tried those or the papertray ink dies in it?
i still use big red with my dies i purchased over 10 years ago because i love to use them on foam sheets, felt, fabric, etc.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MoniL

Only if they aren't of the "Bigz" size of dies - those are too big for Big Red.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to aquabunny

I have the E and the cuttlebug ... I'm tempted by the Grand Calibur, but don't really have the space for another machine, and I use the ones I have all the time

New Kid On the Block
In response to madmatter

I acquired the original Sizzix machine a few months ago, and I'm finally getting around to looking for dies. I'd like an alphabet, and I'm wondering if I can use the Sizzlets in the orginal machine. Does anyone here know?

Thanks in advance!
Cathy

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to calbano

• calbano Said:
I acquired the original Sizzix machine a few months ago, and I'm finally getting around to looking for dies. I'd like an alphabet, and I'm wondering if I can use the Sizzlets in the orginal machine. Does anyone here know?

Thanks in advance!
Cathy

I do believe you can, but you would need an adapter.
I think!
I remember seeing black adapter thingys (?) that was used for this purpose.
I am trying to remember, it has been so long since I've used "big red" , but it comes with a white platform(?) then I think the adapter goes next and the die on top.
This is how I am remembering it,hopefully someone who is still using this system will come on with more accurate info.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ChansGram

Thank you so much for responding. Are these the adapters you mean?
Link

Cathy

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics