Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Paper organization        (Topic#1568953)
lindzjuel
New Kid On the Block
lindzjuel

How do you fellow scrapbookers organize your paper? Do you keep two seperate ways (one for pattern & cardstock) or do you mix them both but by color. Let me know your step by step process so I can figure out my way from all of your suggestions! Thanks!
Products Referenced in This Post:

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to lindzjuel

I have two plastic tubs that are about 13" wide, I have the paper sitting in {sort of like the Cropper Hopper, except open at the top - paid $4 each at Walmart}...Anyway, my patterns and solids are in one, divided into two sections - solid cardstock divided by colour and patterend divided by brand. The second container has 'scraps' {anything that has been cut} it is divided into LARGE Ziploc baggies by colour...Good luck!

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to lindzjuel

I keep my patterns and solid colors separate in file boxes like from the office supply store. I do it by colors and do keep paper(like vellum, colored paper and mulberry papers) along with the card stock, just according to color. Does that make sense? So I just have one box for solid colors paper and card stock and one box for pattern paper or card stock. BUT I do have multiple places where I have to hide paper. card stock from my man. So when I get an idea I do not have to run upstairs to get what I want all the time. He's a little picky about me having crafty stuff all over, so I have learned to be sneaky to prevent complaining. Hopefully he does not come here and read this

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to catzscrapper

I bought 2 rolling organizers at Js and have them stacked on top of each other. Each has 6 snap-shut 12x12 cases. I put the cases in ROYGBIV order and put solids along with PP, based on the primary color in the PP. I know...some paper has every color in it, but usually one sticks out to me and I know that's what I'd match it with.

I tear all the paper out of the pads, but keep the front cover in a separate file so if I need to buy some more, I can find which design it is and send hubby to buy it. (That's cheaper than me roaming through the craft store and he's willing.) I save the back cardboard for Cricut use.

I organize each case with lightest shade on top, going down to the darkest shades.

I also have a case for white and one for black, plus one for whole pads of themes since if I'm doing a birthday or Halloween lo, I'll probably be using that paper, but know where to find complementary paper if I want it. Also a separate case for Christmas.

When all the cases are full (which they are), I know that's the end of my paper-buying for a while :>)

This all sounds confusing even to me, but it's actually simple...everything sorted by color~

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

I have a rack for my cardstock sorted by color and bins sorted by theme. I can't do it any way other than theme - my patterned paper has multiplied when I wasn't looking. However, I will probably get more bins and re-organize the ones that say misc. to be primary colors in the patterns. However, tropical, cruise, USA, International, Food, Holidays, baby, etc. will stay in their own bins.

Cardstock Storage By Henri Jean

Patterned Paper Bins By Henri Jean

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
I have a rack for my cardstock sorted by color and bins sorted by theme. I can't do it any way other than theme - my patterned paper has multiplied when I wasn't looking. However, I will probably get more bins and re-organize the ones that say misc. to be primary colors in the patterns. However, tropical, cruise, USA, International, Food, Holidays, baby, etc. will stay in their own bins.

Cardstock Storage By Henri Jean

Patterned Paper Bins By Henri Jean

I do it like this, but I have it all in Cropper Hopper paper organizers instead of big bins, even the categoried patterned papers.

Products Referenced in This Post:

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to angie girl

I store mine in stackable plastic drawers. I then separate them by vintage/shabby chic, winter/fall, summer/spring, christmas, specialty pps (doilies, glassine etc).

My paper packs I have in a bin until they are mostly gone and then I break them up into their appropriate drawers.

CS is stored by color in jetmax paper cubes.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to MrsAnnieS

I reorganize mine about every 2 months! UGH. Still waiting for a system that works for me!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to ncyankee

By color, unless it has a theme. (An abstract black-and-white pattern goes on my black-and-white paper shelf in my rack, but a black-and-white pattern where the pattern is a crossword puzzle, that goes with my books/writing/reading/wor ds paper.) Striped and dotted papers all go together (unless all the stripes are one color, or if it's one color plus white). My themes are baseball, science, the aforementioned writing/reading stuff, nature, animals, patterns, cooking, Christmas, travel, music. There are others as well. I don't typically buy stacks of anything but plain cardstock; when I do, I buy themed stacks, so I don't have to break them up anyway. I use a wire-grid rack with 24 shelves, which is where my patterned paper goes, and a rack similar to the one Henri posted above, with 12 slots, which is where my colored paper goes (pink goes with red, because I have so little pink; orange goes with yellow, because I have so little orange), along with vellum, glitter papers, and other specialty papers like mulberry or leathery paper.

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to aquabunny

I have my solid color cardstock sorted in cropper hoppers by color. I keep paper packs together and have them sorted by manufacturer. If I pick up single papers in a particular line, I separate those by manufacturer and keep them together. I keep other patterned paper odds and ends in a file drawer by theme/pattern.

Now, my scraps . . . that's a never ending work in progress!

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to aquabunny

I have my solid color cardstock sorted in cropper hoppers by color. I keep paper packs together and have them sorted by manufacturer. (I use alot of pps on a LO, and this way, they're already coordinated) If I pick up single papers in a particular line, I separate those by manufacturer and keep them together. I keep other patterned paper odds and ends in a file drawer by theme/pattern.

Now, my scraps . . . that's a never ending work in progress!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to provinca

I keep my cardstock and patterned papers separated. I *try* to keep all my patterned paper collections (ie. Basic Grey, Graphic 45, DCVW, etc) together, all stored in 12X12 plastic containers that come with the rolling carts. Other than that, I really don't have a system. I don't group by themes, colors, etc.

Looking for paper can be challenging at times as I go through every loose sheet of paper I have. The positive is I'm constantly reminded of exactly what paper I have. The negative is it's a little time consuming. Fortunately I don't have that much paper *yet*.

I would love to have a better storage system, but am severely limited by space.

Rose M
Rose M 
Resident
Rose M
In response to Mama2Thomas

I have all my colored cardstock in my cropper hopper, and pattern paper in another. The pattern paper is by (ex. christmas, spring, summer, halloween,misc.)

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Mayor
KVRLVN
In response to Rose M

I just reorganized my paper yesterday. I bought a slotted filing system from Office Depot and organized all my stock paper by color. For my pattern paper I sorted by florals, stripes, polka dots, beach, tropicial, etc.

I'm in the process of re-doing my scrap space. I bought a new cabinet on-line for additional storage and re-vamped my armoire. Will post new pictures when I get everything done.

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to KVRLVN

I use the Cropper Hopper Vertical Storage Value packs that you have shown for my paper.
I have my cardstock separate from my patterned paper. I organize cardstock by color in one of the larger holders with dividers(actually I think my cardstock might take up 2 of the larger holders). One divider is for neutrals, one for red & pink, one for blue & purple, etc.
My patterned paper is more confusing. I keep my holiday papers, and themed papers together regardless of manufacturer. For example: all Christmas goes together, all ballet goes together, all summer goes together, etc. For the rest of my paper I sort by manufacturer. Basic Grey, Bo Bunny, etc. I keep these in the smaller organizers. If I have specific embellishments that go with a paper line I will keep the embellishments in a ziplock together with the name of the paper line on the front, and I keep these in a box together separate from my other embellishments so that I don't forget to use them. I also have a holder for vellum & specialty papers, and one that I have labeled "New" that I put my most recent purchases in for easy access.
Paper pads I just keep together and store next to my vertical holders.
It sounds kind of confusing, but it works for me.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to luv2scrap:)

• luv2scrap:) Said:
I use the Cropper Hopper Vertical Storage Value packs that you have shown for my paper.
I have my cardstock separate from my patterned paper. I organize cardstock by color in one of the larger holders with dividers(actually I think my cardstock might take up 2 of the larger holders). One divider is for neutrals, one for red & pink, one for blue & purple, etc.
My patterned paper is more confusing. I keep my holiday papers, and themed papers together regardless of manufacturer. For example: all Christmas goes together, all ballet goes together, all summer goes together, etc. For the rest of my paper I sort by manufacturer. Basic Grey, Bo Bunny, etc. I keep these in the smaller organizers. If I have specific embellishments that go with a paper line I will keep the embellishments in a ziplock together with the name of the paper line on the front, and I keep these in a box together separate from my other embellishments so that I don't forget to use them. I also have a holder for vellum & specialty papers, and one that I have labeled "New" that I put my most recent purchases in for easy access.
Paper pads I just keep together and store next to my vertical holders.
It sounds kind of confusing, but it works for me.

Wow - Sounds like my organization except I probably should do the embellishments like you.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to prittb

I keep my cardstock seperate, organized by color. My pattern paper is also organized by color, unless it has a theme...ie: birthday. I mostly use the square containers from M's.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to lindzjuel

I got a great paper organizer at JoAnn's. It was on sale for 40 percent off. I like it because the storage drawers are portable so you can take them out and bring them to the table to work or to a crop. I filled one of the drawers with cardstock and cardstock scraps. The others I tried to do somewhat by themes-boys, seasons, sports, travel, and papers I just love but don't really have a theme. I just set it up like this over the weekend. I think this will work good for me. I usually buy paper based on pictures I am scrapping so I order the paper and use it up pretty quickly so I don't have too big of a paper collection. Don't get me wrong, I do love paper-but usually buy as needed. Any left over paper that I won't use again I bring into my class for my students to use-they love it! Good luck finding a system that works for you!

Edited by Vintageivy on 01-09-12 04:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vintageivy

I've seen the drawer system you bought and I love them. I already had my bins though when I found the ones you got. You've got a great system!

scrapbookingteacher
Idol
scrapbookingteacher
In response to Henri Jean

I have commonly used theme folders like birthdays, beaches, and camping because I use these often. I store my solids separate from patterns. I use the science "ROY G BIV And naturals to organize what I have by color.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics