Username Post: glue question        (Topic#1569225)
New Kid On the Block

Hi,

I am Tami and I am new to scrapbooking.

I am sure I will have many questions but for now, I am very worried that I ruined my scrapbook with a hot glue gun.

I was wondering if it is okay for the book/photos if I use a glue gun to put on silk flowers, crystals and glass and small metal, plastic pieces. I will use TOMBOW Mono Multi Liquid Glue for the photos, letters, paper, etc so it is acid-free.

Had I ruined the acid free paper and my entire scrapbook by using a glue gun to glue fabric flowers, crystals, glass, etc?

Please let me know

Edited by sweet_scrap on 01-15-12 12:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to sweet_scrap

Welcome here! I'm sorry I can't help you on your questions.
I use a tacky glue on my Flowers and beads, crystals and metals. Sometimes I will use Glue Dots. On photos and papers I use my ATG Gun.. I also use a glue pen for really small paper letters..

Here is a list of the items I use that work really good for me.

Edited by debby_westbrook on 01-15-12 05:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to debby_westbrook

Hi Debby, Thank you for your response. It is nice to meet you. hmm, I've had use hot glue gun for other projects (paper and silk flower related) I don't think the paper is acid-free. It has been over five years, and both glue and paper have not yellowed or appeared any aging. I wonder how long my scrapbook would last. I love it, just wasn't thinking, and now I'm really worried.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I wouldn't worry since its held up for over 5 years.

But like Debby, I use the ATG for adhesive (really is cheapest to me in the long run and no mess) and I use glue dots for stubborn things and embellishments like flowers.

tld_92 
New Kid On the Block

I wouldnt use a hot glue gun, it may mess up the paper or melt something. I scrapbook all the time and all I use are glue sticks, sometimes a little Elmer's Glue. I try to find embellishments and chipboards and things that are already ready to stick, though. As for pictures, I ALWAYS use clear, cheap tape, just in case I have to go back and remove the pictures to make a copy of them or something, tape only leaves a little mess and it's covered up as soon as you tape the photo back down. There are also little double-sided sticky squares that you can buy, I think they are called mounting squares, they also work great and are hassle free. Hope this helped!!
Happy Scraping!!

tld_92 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Henri Jean

Glue Dots are a dream come true for scrapbookers!!

LOL

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha

I have been scrappin' for about 5 years and not knowing any different, I have been using a glue gun for the difficult to glue stuff. I haven't had any problems. Now that I've found glue dots, I like and recommend them (no burns LOL).

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-20-12 01:18 PM
In response to tld_92

• tld_92 Said:
I wouldnt use a hot glue gun, it may mess up the paper or melt something. I scrapbook all the time and all I use are glue sticks, sometimes a little Elmer's Glue.

FYI, glue sticks are well known for NOT lasting.

As to the hot glue - I doubt it will be a major problem. And I'm pretty sure you can get acid-free sticks if you want to continue using the hot glue.

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 01-20-12 01:48 PM
In response to stick

I LOVE glue guns! I don't know why I ever bother to put them away, I use them so much (I have at least 5 glue guns, I like to craft with others and share my glue guns). I don't know if they would be acid free, maybe you could test them with one of those pens. I think it would be OK on the bulky stuff. Glue dots are great too, if you haven't tried them before. There is no wait for it to dry. If you don't mind a wait, you could also try glossy accents. It is a great adhesive, holds heavier items, but it does have a bit of a drying time. Best wishes!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics