Username Post: using glue? Is this wrong?        (Topic#1569227)
New Kid On the Block

I am very worried that I ruined my scrapbook with a hot glue gun.

I was wondering if it is okay for the book/photos if I use a glue gun to put on silk flowers, crystals and glass and small metal, plastic pieces. I will use TOMBOW Mono Multi Liquid Glue for the photos, letters, paper, etc so it is acid-free.

Had I ruined the acid free paper and my entire scrapbook by using a hot glue gun to glue silk flowers? Also, I used a little e-6000, also for flowers only.

Please let me know

Thanks!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to sweet_scrap

I use hot glue all the time for flowers, but I don't necessarily worry about acid free all the time. My older books are still fine though (from 5+ years ago)

New Kid On the Block
In response to MrsAnnieS

Use a photo glue instead - these are generally acid-free anyway

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to John ONeill

Photo glue doesn't always work well with non-porous or heavy items.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

You can buy acid-free glue sticks for glue guns - a quick search on google should give you some local suppliers - I found some here for instance craftsulove.co.uk/adhesives.htm

FreeYourFears
Tenant
FreeYourFears
In response to John ONeill

Glue guns are messy!

I use a mixture of photo tape, tape runners, and Zots.

For photos and paper, I use photo tape or tape runners almost always.

For heavier items such as flowers and metal trinkets, I use Zots. I've linked them in the bottom. They have them in several different sizes (I like medium size the best) and they also have 3-D! These are my favorite for adhering larger items. They are strong and not messy like glue guns! I buy mine at my local craft store.

Edited by freeyourfears on 02-21-12 07:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to FreeYourFears

For metal and heavy items I frequently a Mono liquid glue LIKE the one I linked here, but they make one for metal. It's great. I also have used glossy accents and zip dry for tough stuff.
Products Referenced in This Post:

southernbelle777
Veteran
southernbelle777
In response to angie girl

I use a hot glue gun for altered art projects but not for layouts with photos. For items I want to be archival quality I always use acid free glues such as my ATG gun, zots, red double sided sticky tape.

jsharp
jsharp 
Resident
jsharp
In response to southernbelle777

If I don't use my ATG then I use the Scotch Quick Drying Tacky Glue. It's acid free and photo safe and has the extra holding power I need.

http://www.staples.com/Scotch-Quick-Drying-T acky-White-...

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics