Username Post: Diecutters that cut chipboard        (Topic#1569257)
nvreid 
New Kid On the Block

Hi there,

My favorite scrapbook store closed and with it went it's fabulous diecut center. I made photo ornaments using chipboard and scrapbook paper and would like to make them every year for myself and for gifts. Does anyone know of a die cut machine that will cut chipboard? I lost an ebay auction for a Accucut Mark III and am now depressed. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you, Nicole

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to nvreid

I think the Sizzix does. I have the old Sizzix (affectionately called "big red") and it cuts chipboard. I think the newer machine The Big Kick does, as well.

If you'd prefer an electronic machine like the Cricut, someone else might know for those.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to siameseplease

The big kick and vegabond both cut chipboard. And there are some great dies out there from Tim Holtz and sizzix that are ornament shaped. I know the cricut can but I never have with mine and don't know the details about multi cut/pressure/blade type etc

nvreid 
New Kid On the Block
In response to MrsAnnieS

Thanks for the tips! I like the Sizzlits frames but they say they are meant to cut one sheet of cardstock so I figured chipboard may be too thick. I emailed Sizzix to see if I can get an answer.

buggo 
New Kid On the Block
  • buggo on 01-15-12 07:31 PM
In response to nvreid

I just sold my cricut and all of it's accessories because they said that with the deep cut blade it would cut chipboard. I wouldn't recommend one. I did, however, see a video on the Big Shot and they stated that it would cut chipboard. Mine will be arriving tomorrow or tues. I will try it out and let you know.
Jen

p.s. I had many complaints about the cricut, that was just one.

Edited by buggo on 01-15-12 07:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

nvreid 
New Kid On the Block
In response to buggo

Thanks Jen! I saw videos about the Eclips and the Big Shot on YouTube that showed it cutting through chipboard. It didn't look like very thick chipboard though. I'm excited to hear from someone first hand! Good luck! Nicole

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to nvreid

The Sizzix Big Shot, Big Kick, and Vagabond will all cut chipboard, but only with the "Originals" and "Bigz" style dies, which have steel blades. The smaller, skinnier dies will not cut chipboard.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to aquabunny

Sizzlits will not cut chipboard, they're not meant for cutting anything thicker than a sheet or 2 of paper.

I have a baby bug and have been able to cut cereal box thickness with the regular blade. You can do repeat cuts on thicker stuff and for even thicker stuff you can get the deep blade housing.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Seaexplore

That's what I said. I said it works only with the Originals and Bigz due to their steel blades, and I said that the smaller, skinnier dies (meaning Sizzlits and similar non-Sizzix products like Quickutz and Cottage Cuts) will not cut chipboard.

Unless the misunderstanding here is that you thought by "Originals" I meant "Sizzlits", and I don't, I mean the line of dies that Sizzix refers to as "Originals", the thick steel-rule dies of the same thickness and construction as the Bigz, but in different, smaller dimensions (but same thickness).
Products Referenced in This Post:

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to nvreid

• nvreid Said:
Thanks for the tips! I like the Sizzlits frames but they say they are meant to cut one sheet of cardstock so I figured chipboard may be too thick. I emailed Sizzix to see if I can get an answer.

I believe the poster was responding to the above (the original poster may have not known what you were referring to and she specifically asked about Sizzlets)....it seems to be getting quite common around here to respond with somewhat nasty responses...can't we all be nice? And assume the best instead of the worst?
Alison

ellie.lee
New Kid On the Block
ellie.lee
In response to kiyawinn

KNK works for all types of materials including chipboard. I LOVE my KNK die cutter. It is called a KNK Groove-e 13" and can be researched at knkusa.com It cuts everything from the computer with no cartridges. My wonderful hubby got it for me when I was wanting one that didn't require cartridges.

meela
meela 3
Resident
meela
  • meela on 01-21-12 01:46 PM
In response to ellie.lee

As a little fyi, the Klick N Kut has a high learning curve associated with it. You can do multiple passes to cut thicker material, but it will take some time to learn how to use. It can do amazing things like cutting thin balsa wood, acrlic, chipboard, etc, but you really need to give yourself some time to play with it. I bought one several years ago, and have rarely used it. I simply never had the time to drag everything out and play with it to figure out the various settings. It requires a lot of space too, so keep that in mind. I think there have been a lot of improvements made to the software and machine since I bought mine, but if I had to do it over, I would not purchase one.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to meela

I have a Big Shot. It cuts just about everything - fabric, metal, chipboard.

But, yes, only with the big dies. The thin sizzlet dies are not designed to cut through anything thick. Makes sense. The thickness of the die as you look at it from the side will give you an idea of the thickness of the steel blade. Those little dies don't hide a very thick blade at all, so there's not enough blade to cut the thick stuff.

I have a Cricut as well. I almost never use it - I hate drudging through all the books to find a possible image. When I have something VERY specific, and I know where it is -- like halloween bats -- then, yes, the Cricut is the tool for the job.

But the best purchase I EVER made was my Big Shot. It's my #1 Go-To Tool.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to GentlewoodFarms

Something I didn't see mentioned.

I am sure this depends on the thickness of the 'chipboard.'

To me, chipboard is the VERY thick, sturdy material (HARD to cut with anything). I don't consider cereal-box weight as chipboard.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics