Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: spellbinders        (Topic#1569265)
ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

What are spellbinders? I hae looked it up but im still kinda lost! can someone explain it to me?

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to ellybug312

If you go to Bekka Feekens blog you will see some great examples using them

www.amazingpapergrace.com

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

I'll tell you what they are! They're evil, addictive dies that come in (usually) sets of 6 nesting pieces. Like, one set will cut a range of shapes from little to larger- and there's different shape sets you can get- the set that I got this week was 'Labels 8.'. They're what started me on my spellbinder addiction of 2012. I got a set that cuts gear/sprocket shapes yesterday.

Basically, they're little flat pieces of metal with a cutting edge that barely sticks up. You put a piece of paper over them and run it thru a die cutter like a BigKick or whatever ya got. And surprise! It's cut in that shape. Go buy some!

K

Look at them, up there in the superstore.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to CorrieW

Thanks for posting the link to that blog! I'm checking it out now and so cool- Just when you think it's obvious what all they can do, you see something like that!

-k

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to designguyKORY

Thanks Kory for explaining that and yess, ive read on here how addicting they can be! But what if all ya got is a cricut they wont work then...is it worth going and buying a machine that spellbinders will work with?! and the link to that blog has so really good stuff on it!

leslief
Idol
leslief

They cut shapes similar to the Cricut, but they can also be embossed which adds a GREAT detail!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to leslief

Kory - I just bought labels 8 yesterday! My first set of many on my list.

I need to get plate C for my Cuttlebug though before I get to play.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW

• designguyKORY Said:
Thanks for posting the link to that blog! I'm checking it out now and so cool- Just when you think it's obvious what all they can do, you see something like that!

-k

Becca is the reason I got started on them, I have been collecting for 4 years and they used to be very hard to find, now not so much. I still have to pay for shipping to Canada but they are worth it.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

I have a Cricut, too. I actually have two, cuz I didn't get rid of my original when I got the Expression 2!

But I have my BigKick, because I really wanted a few of the Tim Holtz dies- and then I just started buying more and more dies- finding random cool shapes on clearance at Hobby Lobby really led me down the path-

And if you're anything like me, you would really like some of the options available in dies- but if you're really not even all that much into diecutting- you also gotta remember all the embossing folders you're missing out on having! I really love all of the 'texture fades' that Tm Holtz designed- they're just too cool. And so versatile. There's so many things you can do with them, especially if you're into making cards. I love to make cards and minibooks.

Also, I get a little cricut lazy. And it's so fast to grab a die, throw it down with a piece of paper and crank it thru- and strangely fun and satisfying. I don't know how to explain it, but it is so fun for me to crank stuff thru my BigKick! And if you use a coupon to get it, it really isn't expensive at all. The money turns to trouble when you start thinking you need every embossing folder and die that you come across....

K

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

i allready think i need everything i see by tim holtz, and now im begining to think i need an embossing maching haha.. oh gosh! this can not be good. okay... so what do u mean by using the dies how do you use em? sorry to be so question-able

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

• designguyKORY Said:
I'll tell you what they are! They're evil, addictive dies that come in (usually) sets of 6 nesting pieces. Like, one set will cut a range of shapes from little to larger- and there's different shape sets you can get- the set that I got this week was 'Labels 8.'. They're what started me on my spellbinder addiction of 2012. I got a set that cuts gear/sprocket shapes yesterday.

Basically, they're little flat pieces of metal with a cutting edge that barely sticks up. You put a piece of paper over them and run it thru a die cutter like a BigKick or whatever ya got. And surprise! It's cut in that shape. Go buy some!

K

Look at them, up there in the superstore.

Don't forget to run them thru again to emboss them!!!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Youuse the dies to cut your paper into the shape that the dies cut, like, the die cuts the shape of a heart- you have to 'squish' the paper against the die so that it cuts the shape out. You do this with a machine- I have the BigKick, which I really endorse- I love it- think of it as 'The Squisher.'. You put the die onto a plate, put a piece of paper on top of the die, put another plate on top, and run it thru the squisher. It cuts the shape and you go all, 'wowww, look what I did!'. LoL

Do a search on youtube, and I think if you look on Tm Holtz's channel, he shows his dies and the shapes they cut- and lots of people have videos using the BigKick.

The night before I got my BigKick, I watched youtube videos for hours and worked myself into a frenzy to go out and buy one.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

• designguyKORY Said:
And it's so fast to grab a die, throw it down with a piece of paper and crank it thru- and strangely fun and satisfying. I don't know how to explain it, but it is so fun for me to crank stuff thru my BigKick!

That "snap, crackle, & pop" gets me every time.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to kelseymel

Where is the "like" for the "snap, crackle and pop"???

Expert
In response to kelseymel

I think I like my spellbinders machine better than my cricut. Especially when I have a pic I want to mat...I have the grand spellbinders dies..and it's so easy to just grab a die and go. I don't have too many yet...those grand ones are pretty expensive...but the ones I have, I find I use again and again. With the cricut...I have to do the trial and error thing to get the size right.
I do like my cricut too..for letters and shapes.

Spellbinders
New Kid On the Block
Spellbinders

LOL! I love your description Kory. xo

Spellbinders
New Kid On the Block
Spellbinders
In response to Spellbinders

In fact... I love this whole thread. We also have a Spellbinders Blog. It has tutorials, a design gallery, how-to videos, and randomness posted by yours truly. Currently... we're in the midst of our Blog Frenzy new product reveal. Check it out! http://www.spellbinderspaperarts.com/Community.aspx

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Spellbinders

I can't wait to visit your blog. I just got my first set and I love them beyond belief!

-k

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I love love LOVE spellbinders,,,,,,I haven't bought a cricut cartridge in months,,,,,

every time I turn around, there's another spellbinders I want.

and I USE all of them,,,,,,

IMHO, they are a deal for what you get,,,,you could spend 15 bucks on one punch,,,,,,or using a coupon or a sale, get five to seven dies that cut 5-7 sizes AND emboss the edges,,,,,

and shapeabilities are amazing,,,,,,,

I am also falling in love with edgeabilities.

seriously,,,,,they should give me a button and call me their design team,,,,,I RARELY make a card without them. My blog is their free advertising LOL. Actually, I made ONE card without them yesterday,,,,,,the first, I believe, since I started buying them. It's not likely to happen again, and it probably wouldn't have happened yesterday if I'd had the GRAND nesties (My image was too big to cut out with regular nesties),,,,,,,

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm must.buy.grand.nesties.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to CommaHolly

I'm in love, too, Holly! And it's thanks to you and others on her who introduced me to them- for some reason, seeing them at the store, I just wasn't interested. But then I keep seeing posts about them, see what they can do- all that- and then, coupled with my love for 'labels' of any kind- I decided to give it a try...

Now I just want them ALL. lol

Y'day, at the outlet, I saw a ton of Nesties- I run up to them- they're ALL Labels#8! The first set I bought! Whyyyyyyyy?!?! lol For a second, there, I thought I was going to go home with fifty new sets.

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics