Username Post: adhesives        (Topic#1569461)
New Kid On the Block

Just another newbie here. I'm putting together a scrapbook of my ancesters. Therefore, the pictures are old, on varying thickness of paper and odd shaped. What adhesive medium would work best and be safe for the old pictures? Some are from the early 1900s.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to debbers55

I would suggest the ATG - it's safe and holds well even for heavy items - but if there's any chance you might want to remove the photos from the book for some reason, I would advise not using the ATG and instead using something like mounting squares or even just photo corners.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to aquabunny

What a gret project!! I would have copies made and use those for scrapping ... just in case.
Unless, like suggested above, you use photo corners with the originals.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

Scan the pictures, print, and store the originals. I do that a lot. I have a big box I throw old original pictures in - they are stored in my computer and I can have them printed to scrap.

ATG is my first choice for photos but you cannot remove them once you put them down. It is permanent.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to debbers55

I would definitely make copies of those pictures and store them. Or photo corners and a good brand of protective sheet covering.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to scrappnmom2il

If you feel you have to put the originals in your scrapbook, another option is photo corners. That way, you don't permanently attach them and regret it later. I used the photo corner technique for originals, instead of making copies, for a book for my father. When he passed away Mom announced that she really wished she had a copy of a certain photo for his memorial. I could easily get it and present. You never know when you might want a copy of old photos separate from the album you are making. Plus, if you use the originals, sometimes adhesive and crafting mistakes happen...

Handwerk by Pamela
Veteran
Handwerk by Pamela
In response to KatieJo

I would recommend scanning the photos and saving them on a jump drive and/or online before scrapbooking them. And then I would suggest using photo corners to affix them to the pages.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Handwerk by Pamela

Jump drive is a great idea (or thumb drive or flash drive - same thing).

I found an external which holds at least a million pictures. All my photos are backed up in that and it is kept in our safe (its small and works just like a flash drive).

All of our old family photos are also scanned and put on the flash drive so if something ever happens to my computer or something happens, the external is okay and no pictures are lost.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

You are one of seven people who suggested phot corners. That is really what I'd rather do, but the corners I purchased at my local craft store (I live in a small town, so there's not much choice) are so small that they don't hold the heavy pictures and the larger format ones.

New Kid On the Block
In response to KatieJo

First of all, thank you so much for your reply. You are one of seven people who suggested phot corners. That is really what I'd rather do, but the corners I purchased at my local craft store (I live in a small town, so there's not much choice) are so small that they don't hold the heavy pictures and the larger format ones. By the way, I love the photo of your cat. He/she reminds of my late, precious Dharma.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to debbers55

The Superstore here has a variety of the photo corners, check them out.

Jaci67
Jaci67 
Resident
Jaci67
In response to scrappnmom2il

You could also make your own photo corners with heavy cardstock with a cutting machine if you have it. Or even fussy cut them with scissors.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Jaci67

I purchased mine (in medium clear) from CM's and Scotch used to make large photo corners (although I couldn't find those in an online search right now). You could also try a punch like the one below (that includes a backing to the corner - so that it can be attached to the page). I have not used this particular punch and can't be sure how big it is though. And finally, as others are saying, you could make your own, without a punch, as well.

Here is an example of one of the last suggestions I found on a search but you can do your own search for other styles of course.

http://voices.yahoo.com/video/how-simple-fanc y-photo-co...

They might be really neat all in black (like an old photo album often did have) all through your album for instance.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to KatieJo

I may be stating the obvious, but if you do go with a photo corner punch be careful not to select one that is just decorative like the two below. HTH

Bird-Girl
Guru
Bird-Girl
In response to debbers55

Hi! Just a note-You mention your photos are from the 1900's. It is best to work with COPIES of originals rather then the original. That way the main copy (original) is still in tact should you ever need to go back to it.

Just some advice I've learned from sites and books!

Wishing you much luck on your scrapping!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics