Page 1 of 5 
Username Post: ALTERED TINS        (Topic#1569477)
mars2005
Veteran
mars2005

Ive seen a couple forum postings about making altered tins. i have gone thru the resourses but darned if i see anything. Can anyone forward me a link to watch or read? I know someone, and please forgive me i dont remember who said to use Altoid tins. any help would be greatly appreciated

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to mars2005

Did you search for tins in the gallery? Several popped up when I just tried.
What information exactly are you looking for?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to tinacome

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/1265.html

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to tinacome

check youtube for altered tins.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to CommaHolly

Step 1: Find a tin.

Step 2: Glue stuff to the tin.

Presto! It's an altered tin.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to amandahugandkiss

• amandahugandkiss Said:

This is THE best/easiest tutorial I've ever seen!!!

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to Bxr-Linda

LOL, love it

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to tinacome

well i guess it was just another stupid question. and YES I LOOKED IN RESOURSES UNDER ALTERED ITEMS....i guess im just blind and stupid.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to mars2005

i looked under altered items in resourses. i didnt check gallery. i wanted a step by step but i guess that was stupid thing to ask about since i dont know....what glue to use, will the ink stay on the tin or ink only paper, how to use the Mod Podge on metal etc etc.

Michee
Michee 
Idol
Michee
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • amandahugandkiss Said:

This is THE best/easiest tutorial I've ever seen!!!

Wow...really???

I would definitely try YouTube if you can't find anything helpful on here. I've never altered a tin before so I don't have any great answers like the one above that may help you out. Hope you're able to find something.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Michee

I think the responses here were very helpful.

1. What information are you looking for?
2. a link to a video tutorial on searching the gallery
3. suggestion to try Youtube
4. Basic directions on altering

And now the original poster is offended?

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to Bxr-Linda

i am the orginal poster and yes i am offended. I know im new and maybe ask stupid questions and i DO CHECK RESOURSES FIRST. i didnt find anything on altering tins. I looked in the gallery but that doesnt tell me...for example...what glue is used on tin, does Mod Podge work, etc etc. I looked on my Mod Podge jar, doesnt say anything about bonding/using on any metal. i dont want to waste time/energy and products when it would be so simple for someone to tell me what they use. I didnt go directly to Youtube videos because i assumed someone, anyone, could give me help on a Forum meant to help people. and the answer.."get a tin, glue on it" yea, IM NOT AN IDIOT, but i am new. this has happened before...ill ask a question and someone will say "did you check resourses?" even after i put on there i did. i may not have used the right termanology to look up something, or the right words etc. did anything think maybe that is why i couldnt find anything.

Michee
Michee 
Idol
Michee
In response to Bxr-Linda

I think she was probably referring to the Step 1, Step 2 response. I read it myself and thought it came off a little snarky. ???

OnlyJane
Mayor
OnlyJane
In response to mars2005

Don't get discouraged - it is always the same ones who give snarky comments - for some reason they think they are funny, but rest assured if someone gives them a dumb answer, they get bent out of shape!

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to OnlyJane

thank you!!!!

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to mars2005

Well you know what? It came off as snarky because I meant it as snarky. It was a poorly worded question. If you had said "What adhesive works best on tin?" I would have responded appropriately. Instead, you asked a vague question and I answered it.

Try looking at the resources, youtube, search past threads, or here's a novel approach- why don't you google it? "How to alter tins scrapbooking" came up with over 2 million hits. Is that enough for you?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mars2005

I think part of the problem is that you didn't give any details as to what you wanted to do,,,,what look you're looking for.

altered tins can be covered with paint, paper, crackle stuff, cloth, fibers, , etc,,,,

you can use a hundred different adhesives,,,,ATG, Mod podge, glossy accents, etc,,,,,

and that's only TWO elements.

I don't think any one meant to be rude,,,,,,

show us a picture,,,,explain what you want,,,,

"I want to cover a tin with paper and I don't know what the best adhesive to use."

"I want a crackle look on my tin. Can I use crackle paint on metal?"

"What paint is best for metal for my altered tin?"

"I want my tin to look shiny,,,what should I use?"

"I want to make one like THIS (picture). Any suggestions how to start?"

WE don't know what you want, so WE can't give you step by step directions until you've narrowed down what you want

And really,,I am NOT being snarky. There's just so many ways to do different things. Which is why I suggested You-tube,,,,,,,when I want to do something brand new, I google it. I look it up on Youtube,,,,,If I can't figure it out, I come here,,,,,,but I have a picture,,,,or I know what look I am going for

I really hope that helped.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to amandahugandkiss

i guess i assumed when i asked about "making them" one would assume ive never made one and give me at least basic instructions. And i shouldnt have to google, isnt that what the forums are for? to get help? and as ive stated before i did look under resourses, found nothing on making altered tins. Looking at the gallery doesnt give me instructions now does it?? no, it just gives me these beautiful pictures.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mars2005

but I can't help you if you don't know what kind you want to make,,,,,,

let's say I told you to use glossy accents, cover with paper using the accents as a glue,,,,,,,then cover with glossy accents.

that's an altered tin,,,,,

but then I found out you really liked the red one with the blue flowers and that's CLOTH.

well, the directions I gave you wouldn't WORK for that.

am I making any sense? Really, I'm trying to help

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to CommaHolly

thank you for explaining to me that my question was so vague. i guess i was vague, but didnt know i needed to put details on there. I guess i just assumed someone would figure out that ive never made one before and gee...and im quoting someone..."WHAT A NOVEL APPROACH" and just help or guide me in the right direction. But thats okay.

Edited by mars2005 on 01-20-12 07:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics