Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What Carts best?        (Topic#1569677)
ckesmorr
New Kid On the Block
ckesmorr

I got a cricut expression from a friend, she got it for Chrismas, and I bought it from her cheep to help her out, as she needed money. It came with a cart, Storybook. I would like to know what carts are most essential, and that have not been retired. I really dont scrapbook around seasonal layouts. Any suggestions?

rubyc
rubyc 
Expert
rubyc
  • rubyc on 01-24-12 09:05 AM
In response to ckesmorr

I really like plantin' schoolbook and george, I have no idea if they has been discontinued

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to rubyc

As ever, this really, really depends on what kinds of things you scrapbook. Do you scrapbook about kids, pets, hobbies, cooking, travel? Do you want to do page titles in a lot of different fonts? Do you make cards? Do you prefer simple or realistic or cartoonish designs?

The cartridges Ruby suggests would have to be found on eBay or another third-party seller, unfortunately, as otherwise they're both only available bundled with new machines.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to aquabunny

If you can swing it this would be an excellent cartridge to buy. It's like getting six cartridges in one...
ULTIMATE CREATIVE SERIES SAMPLER Cricut Cartridge

ckesmorr
New Kid On the Block
ckesmorr
In response to aquabunny

For now, I would like a cart that can cut simple frames and tags, with a little flair. I scrapbook mainly to preserve my sons photos. They are 21 and 13 yrs. Fonts are more important to me than flowers and flourish, lol.

ckesmorr
New Kid On the Block
ckesmorr
In response to debby_westbrook

Thanks Debby, I will check into that.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to ckesmorr

storybook is a nice one...

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to HisGEM

Plantin Schoolbook or George Basic Shapes are two basic cartridges that came with the first Cricut and the first Expression. They both have basic fonts and shapes that can take you a long way.

Resident
In response to dotfree

DonJuan is a good one for tags.

Resident
In response to Laura40

DonJuan also has basic numbers and letters nothing to fancy.

bluucaca
Diva
bluucaca
In response to Laura40

I have Lacy Labels it is a cart that is sold at walmart it is a Lite cart unfotinely most Walmarts are doping awawy with there scrapbooking dept. but you can get it at Criut.com it has a lot of frames and labels

Lydgranger
Resident
Lydgranger
In response to ckesmorr

Check out Elegant Edges-It has a wide variety of frames and borders--I like to make frames for my pictures and I cutomize them in the Gypsy and Design Studio-I haven't tried the Cricut online design center but you maybe able to customize frames if you have this cart there too.

ckesmorr
New Kid On the Block
ckesmorr
In response to Lydgranger

I was told elegant edges is awesome for what I like to do most. As far as tweeking online, lol, I created an account in the online craftroom, used it for 10 min, logged out and never been able to log back in. PC customer service was in a business meeting so I sent a e-mail and never heard back from them again.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to ckesmorr

I hear most of their emails go unanswered?
I have only called them and both times they were very helpful and friendly.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to ChansGram

Yes, definitely call they are very helpful! E-mail is the worst and they are rude when they do respond 3 weeks later or not at all.

As for the question about carts......I just recently bought Paper Lace talk about a bang for your buck. It has a font including numbers, borders, lacy cuts, shadow feature, sentiments, charms. When I bought it I had no idea it had a font let alone numbers and punctuation.

I am not sure if its still out but another font cartridge that gives you 4 different fonts in one is Calligraphy. I bought it at Michaels a while ago.

I also second everyone else who mentioned Plantin if that still comes with the cricut you are off to go a start. Its a versatile cartridge that offers a lot when you are just starting out.
Its still one of my go to cartridges for fonts and basic shapes and the tag feature with end caps.

Edited by jaxxan on 01-26-12 04:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to jaxxan

It depends on what you're needing. For fonts, Lyrical Letters is great because it has SIX fonts on one cart. Don Juan is also a good font, and Plantin Schoolbook is good, too for a font and basic shapes. (DJ and PS come with Cricut machines, DJ with the Create and PS with the Expression, but could be purchased off evilbay.)

If you have kids and scrap everyday antics, then Everyday Paper Dolls is a good one. If you have a girl, then Once Upon a Princess is fun. If you have a cat, there's a mini cart called Meow that's good. I have kids so I have both Everyday Paper Dolls and Paper Doll Dress Up. But IMO, both have some go-to basic shapes, too.

Paper Lace is a good one for cutting shaped papers and edges. If you're into faithbooking, then there's a mini cart called Inspired Heart that's good, and there's a new one out called New Testament (I think) that's got religious cuts on it.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to BlingQueenRia

I do not have kids and have gotten tons of great use out of Everyday Paper Dolls. It's extremely multi-purpose.

Ms Jackie
Diva
Ms Jackie
In response to ckesmorr

ALL of them! Sorry, I love them all......

writerswife
New Kid On the Block
writerswife
In response to Ms Jackie

I really, really like Elegant Edges. I've been using it to make pages for mini albums. I also use it to make the little mats for phrases and journaling.

roxybonds
Veteran
roxybonds
In response to writerswife

Art Philosophy is the best!!!! It has over 700 images, a font, layer, deco layer, tag, card features. It cuts 3-d items too.

You can see more here: http://www.closetomyheart.com/en/Ideas_and_Inspirat ion/...

And order one here: http://roxybonds.ctmh.com/Retail/Product.aspx?ItemID=61...

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics