Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Glimmer Mist....not in love :(        (Topic#1569727)
pieces of me
Expert
pieces of me

I bought some glimmer mist a few months ago and just tried it out tonight. I have to say i am not a fan. One of the sprayers doesn't even work and the others spray big globs of mist. The colors are great but i am not impressed with the application process....am i just not doing it right??

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to pieces of me

Sounds like you need to the pop the sprayer nozzle thingy off and rinse under warm water. This will declog the sprayer.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-25-12 05:08 PM
In response to runzalot81

I learned at a class not to shake up the bottle up and down. Shake from side to side. The glitter doesn't get shaken into the nozzle as much. Also start spraying on a paper towel until you get the coverage you want and then spray the item (i.e. paper, chipboard, etc.)

Hope that helps. I'm not a real fan either. I don't like that it warps the paper when it dries.

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to AK Teddy Bear

If you 'shake' the bottle in a swirling motion instead of just shaking it you will have better results. Also, start spraying off the side of your project and in sweeping motions. For paper warping, it is best if you use thicker paper or cardstock, and I have found that if I dry my work with my heat gun (or a hair dryer) it doesn't warp as much. After that you can also iron the paper a bit and it'll be far less warped. Make sure you're not using a steam setting though!

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 01-25-12 05:54 PM
In response to Diva Scraps

Try using some canned air to blow out the tube in your glimmer Mist, this might help. I had lots of clogged sprayers and tried this trick and it worked pretty well. But it at an office supply store, it is pretty inexpensive. Swirling the bottle instead of shaking does a better job for me too. It can be frustrating to spend money on a beautiful color, and not have it work. I feel your pain!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-25-12 06:18 PM
In response to meela

I find the application varies depending on the color, but a lot of that variation may just be me.

I HATED Glimmer Mist when I first tried it, whatever I did was ugly. I tried it a few times over several months and never liked it. But then one day, I don't know what I did differently, something just clicked and I liked what I did ... and now use it on almost everything So I think partly it also takes a bit of practice.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to stick

If the canned air or warm water doesn't unclog it, try soaking the pump mechanism in Windex. I was told about this from someone here a few weeks back and it worked. Good luck

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to SandraB.

Yes, the windex trick does the job, as well as just plain white vinegar. Make sure you rinse it well though.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to SandraB.

All good advice!
I think like stick said, it takes time and practice to get the hang of it. Unfortunately, they do clog and it is very frustrating, but I don't think there has ever been 1 that I couldn't unclog, I just did 2 today. I think I read the longer they sit w/o being used, the more likely they are to clog. I just heard about the windex trick, I love all the help on this site!
I have about 60 bottles, if I could I would own almost every color, I love GM.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to Diva Scraps

I am grateful for Piecesofme for posting this. I really want to try the mists, now I will know what to do when the sprayer gets clogged. Thank you!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to scrappnmom2il

I've used the mists and not gotten great results.....it does take practice....my preferred way of using them right now is as "paint", using a brush to paint them on. I like the results and it's way easier!
Alison

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to kiyawinn

I love it on chipboard and on LOs (using a mask) ... try again ... you may learn to love the stuff

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 01-25-12 08:02 PM
In response to madmatter

all great advice here...thanks ladies

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to timon

I, too, became frustrated with my glimmer mists, so I transfered all my mists to Mini Mister bottles and have been happily spritzing ever since...with NO clogs {actually, the only problem I run into is NOT PAYING ATTENTION and squirting myself }
...after I had transfered all of the misters I bought, I just started making my own...A LOT cheaper, and ridiculously easy! Best of luck!
DIY Mister Recipe

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to JazzieLynne

I have had at least 6 bottles to clog (out of 50) and nothing would unclog them so I just transfered them over to bottles that I got at M's. I love using the mist wih my masks.

Expert
In response to prittb

I might have to try the mini mister bottles--my problem is that I don't use them much so in addition to it taking forever to get the sparklies all mixed in, I sometimes have the clogging issue.

DesiLee
Idol
DesiLee
In response to HuskerMom98

I use the mini misters too and I love them. I shake up my mists before I pour them in so that I can be sure that they have a good amount of glimmer in them. The mini misters will not hold a full bottle of glimmer mist so be sure to label them so that you don't end up mixing colors by mistake. I've never had a clog with my mini misters. They're pretty affordable too.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to DesiLee

I get what you're saying. I bought a couple of bottles recently for a project and used them for the first time. I guess I expected them to spray more like a mist, like hairspray, and they don't. Once I saw that they sort of beaded up on the paper, I smeared it around quickly before it dried. Not the effect I was going for at all, but a learning experience. I still think they're fun.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to RockStar

I hated Glimmer Mist at first. Ugh, it was so ugly.

Love them now, just takes practice.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to kelseymel

I have about 15 bottles and each behaves differently. Some have a fine mist and others spray in globs, some drip and some splatter. Cleaning the nozzles hasn't changed that. I've learned how each behaves and plan accordingly before using it.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics