Username Post: Organization HELP!        (Topic#1569779)
ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

Okay, so ive spend like FOREVER watching videos, and looking at everyone scraproom, and ive seen how everyone's is so nice and organized. BUT, i dont have a whole room i can devote to scrapbooking (I wish) haha, but i have devoted a whole side of my closet to it (it contails 1 top shelf) where i have my cardstock, pp, and all of my books stacked. And one of those 3 drawr plasic things you buy at walmart..do you know what im talkin about? lol Well, i should quit griping and just ask my question...OKay... so does anyone know of any space consuming, organization, ideas, things? whatever you feel i need to know! i dont even have enough room to seperated all of my colored cardstock by color, i keep all my stamps in a little (round popcorn thing you buy at christmas) and i keep photo boxes in a shoe box hanger..so far thats all i got! does anyone know anymore?? Please help me!! Please! :/

imagine.lilacs
Queen
imagine.lilacs
In response to ellybug312

Sounds like you have made some really clever choices for your small space!

reneeann
Veteran
reneeann

If you have your stamps in a large popcorn tin, I would try to make that your container of choice. Do the whole thing with tins. You can mix and match. I would buy or create labels that you really like and label your supplies.Tins are pretty plentiful at second hand stores and garage sales. Find tins to store your pens, scissors, paper clips, flowers, buttons. I would get snack sized ziplock bags and sort your buttons according to color and put them in a tin.I would do the same thing with ribbons. You could use both square and round tins. Store your ink pads in a large square tin.You can also use the space on the back of the door, by using a shoe organizer or wire racks. Its hard to give suggestions without knowing actually what you have to store but hope the ideas help.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to reneeann

LoL, I was thinking, 'oh if it's a closet, she should get a shoebox hanger to put boxes in,' then I get to where you say you've done it!

It sounds like you're handling it pretty good!

I got some plastic, stacking bins at Dollar Tree, which I stacked to make a kind of stacked row of bins to keep all of my Tim Holtz metal stuff- like, all those hinges and tokens and stuff. I kinda keep anything metal in it- eyelets, grommets, whatever. Check out Dollar Tree for lots of small bins and things. They have lots of things that would work well. Or has worked well for me, anyways. I'm trying to just keep like things together.

K

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to designguyKORY

im working on putting 3 pictures up to show yall what im talking about and yes.. i actually have 4 tins (the popcorn thing, and like 3 weird shape cookie tins that that one person gets me every Christmas with cookies in them) haha im trying to upload pictures..but its giving me trouble and i know how to do it, but it just doesnt want to load up my pics.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

and here are the 3 pictures i finally got it up!

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/631799/view /3508297/...

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/631799/view /3508293/...

http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

and if theres another way of posting pics from your gallery can some one explain it!!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

go to the ikea web site and look at their organizing ideas! And the prices are pretty reasonable too so you have ideas and can buy.

Jojo Noons
Mayor
Jojo Noons

Hi!!! I hear your cry!!Your in luck....check this out...hope it helps!!! http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15688...

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Jojo Noons

The only problem I see is all those clothes! They gotta go!
They're what's getting in the way of your organization!

Kidding of coarse, but I think the shoe holder with the boxes is absolutely genius! That is a great idea for a small space.
Good luck!

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to ChansGram

When I had a limited amount of space, I mounted a peg board to the wall and hung embellies, tools, etc from it. That allowed other things to go into the limited drawer space. Now I have a whole room and still use the peg boards.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-26-12 08:14 PM
In response to ChansGram

Honestly, I don't have a whole lot more space than you do. It's about figuring out how to maximize every cubic inch of space - floors, walls, ceiling, both sides of doors, space over windows, sides of bookcases, under beds, under bookcases, etc. etc. I love the hanging shoe thingy, but there's a couple FEET of wasted vertical space with the empty inches between each of those boxes! Although unfortunately the shoe hangers (and the bar it's hanging on) probably couldn't take the weight if you were able to fill up all the space. Ikea is a super place to look if you have one available - lots of small storage boxes, baskets, etc. And lots of furniture made for small spaces. Also consider if you can use furniture or storage on wheeles, that you can pull out and open up to scrap and then put away when you're done. I.e., I have a big table from Js that folds down to about 8" wide so I just roll it against the wall and stack stuff on it for everyday, but when I scrap I pull it out, open it up, and it takes up most of my living room but gives me a great big surface to craft on.

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 01-26-12 08:31 PM
In response to stick

I saw the hangers on the other side, do you normally have clothes there? is there anyway you can transform the whole closet into a work area? I agree with hanging a pegboard, maybe some magnet boards if you can? well, if you can transform the whole closet and use the whole thing for a scrap space then checkout my gallery, i transformed my closet into a work station.

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to timon

Here is an organization callenge that is taking sign ups, it offically starts on the 1st. This is Grace's 3rd or 4th year doing it, and we have lots of ppl in there that are dealing with small spaces that need help, and lots of ideas getting bounced around.

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15692...

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to Scrappin Kitty

can you put things under the bed? Maybe you can purchase a set of bed risers. To hide it, maybe a nice dust ruffle.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Fargomutt

For your paper - I would think about vertical Cropper hoppers - you can get those at Michaels or AcMoore with a coupon - that way - you won't be pulling all your paper down to thumb through it - you can take down the Cropper Hopper - and it can stand on your work station.

I would try to get things that can be rolled out to your work station like your iris cart or different containers for embellies.

also - if you have space in your room - I have seen in some pics in mags and here in the gallery that people got some really cute hat boxes or vintage luggage/makeup cases to keep tools, embellies, etc in - these are cute and can sit out in the room as Decoration!! and no one will know what's inside!
Products Referenced in This Post:

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Fargomutt

I second Grace's challenge, she does a great job helping people get organized!

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to MrsAnnieS

Thank you so much, i will check out the challenge, and i will look at ikea... Timon, no i do not keep clothes there normally (Thats all of my extra hangers) haha.. and i will deffinatly look into some peg boards! i could put that on the wal behind the 3 drawr thing, And yes i have thought about Cropper Hoppers, but my space uptop doesnt have alot of room...do they usually fit alot of paper? just wondering, and I have a bed that has drawrs under it as well..and they are filled..haha. And to someone who suggested the decrotated boxes, i have seen them many places but unfortunatly my room is cramped. So i have NO idea where i would keep them..I am also having a problem putting my cricut expression 2 somewhere..everytime i want to use it, i have to drag out the whole box and it sits in the middle of my floor (As of right now) ha.. i thought about sitting it on top of the plastic drawrs but the top part is allready caving in a little and it wont hold the weight. Thank you to everyone once again!!

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia

Another idea is to get an over-the-door hanging organizer, like you can buy for shoes or kids' rooms. You can store small items like adhesive, punches, etc. in it. Other than that, I honestly don't have any other suggestions for you. Hubby insisted I make a dedicated area to scrap with a desk and storage.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I keep my supplies in a closet too and would like to give you a few tips that work for me.

- create a handy box/caddy that contains your main tools. The things you use over and over. When you want to scrap you pull out the whole thing and you are ready to go. This eliminates a bunch of little trips to your closet like...now I need my scissors...now I need my glue...now I need my black pen...now I need my cropadile...now "I am sick of getting up & down". Even add the punches, ink & stamps you use over & over. All of your punches don't have to live together. You want easy access to the things you use the most.

- after tools, the next most important thing to me is a quick & easy way to get to my scraps & colored cardstock. No matter what I am working on I need to be able to get different colored papers quick. Upright storage works for me. Again I have one box that I just take out and I am ready to go.

- next comes storage of additional tools, like boxes of stamps, inks, punches, etc. I like uniform storage boxes that stack.

- last storage of pattern paper & embellishments.

I REALLY like the ribbon storage purse. You can even make your own.

I do NOT recommend the "clip up" system. It is just too large for a closet. You do NOT get your "bang for your buck" using a clip up, when you have limited space.

and because you have limited space, it is important to purge the supplies you never see yourself using. You just don't have the luxury to keep a bunch of extra stuff.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Those are excellent suggestions Gelidy!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics