Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Help with SIMPLE scrapbooks for a newbie!        (Topic#1569851)
New Kid On the Block

Hah, is there even such a thing as a SIMPLE scrapbook? I'm a complete scrapbook newbie and I'm overwhelmed by all the info, options, and "fancy" layouts I've seen on this site! This is my first post, and I could use some help.

I have a 4 year old daughter, and I have all the photos since she was born in a box or on a disk waiting to go somewhere. Her baby book is still empty too (I'm so ashamed!). Well, I'm determined to get these photos in books/albums asap because I'm pregnant with #2. So here are a few newbie questions...

1. Since #2 is on the way, I'm wondering if it's best to have separate sets of books for each child or everything mixed in one set of family books?

2. I have photos, newspaper clippings, drawings, miscellaneous scraps, and my journal entries about my dd. Is it possible for all these to go in the same books? I'd love for everything to be in one place chronologically.

3. I'm not looking to create beautiful art here, like I've seen with the amazing layouts in the gallery. I just want to stick the things in a book as I have them, perhaps on a sheet of lovely background paper, and forget it. My mom used the scrapbooks with the sticky pages and plastic covers and everything just got stuck in there chronologically... it's a near perfect system in my eyes (except that the photos are yellowed now and many are permanently stuck... sigh). What's the easiest kind of book/system to go with to make things simple and archive-safe.

4. Oh, and I took lots of photos, especially daughter's first year. So what books/sizes will hold the most?

Phew, I think that's all for now... any help is so much appreciated!
-Clueless in the Scrapbook Aisle-

whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant
In response to shootapear

Have you looked into digi scrapping?
Honestly, IMO if your goal is to just get all this stuff put in a book chronologically, then buying a bunch of papercrafting stuff is going to be a waste. If you're not doing it to enjoy it and create fun pages, then you'll most likely get bored and stressed out.
You can take photos of the newspaper clippings (they will yellow and crumble with time if you use the real things) and memorabilia and put them on digital pages. You can use digital elements over and over and over again - no need to pay for more than one use. I have put very simple digi books together in just a couple of hours. Whereas with scrapbooking, it takes me 20 plus hours for each book at LEAST>

Edited by whateveriwant on 01-28-12 02:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-28-12 03:40 PM
In response to whateveriwant

The basic answer is that you can do whatever you want, there are NO rules of any kind in scrapbooking.

Probably the simplest of all would be to use page protectors like the ones I've linked below. Not much work involved, just fill 'em up. You could intersperse these with more crafty pages containing the journalling, drawings, etc., so you can keep it all in chronological order. And they don't have to be very crafty at all - if you just want to glue them down to a pretty sheet of paper and move on, by all means do so.

The sticky-back pages your mom used (generally called 'magnetic photo albums' I think), are definitely not good for photos.

Whether you do separate books for each child or combine them as family books is up to you. Do you want to hold on to them so you can enjoy them throughout your life, or do you intend to give the books to the children when they graduate from college or get married or something like that?

New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

Thanks... I thought about doing all the photos digitally, but I get hung up on some of the scraps that I'd want to use the originals anyway. I'd probably hand write any journal entries, so they would be in my handwriting. I guess I'm sentimental about a few things.

But on second thought, digital may be a lot easier in the long run, so maybe I should just keep a memory box with some original scraps and keep my journal as a separate book... I don't know if anyone looking through the book would really want to read my journal anyway.

Something to think about... thanks for the suggestion!

New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

• stick Said:
Probably the simplest of all would be to use page protectors like the ones I've linked below. Not much work involved, just fill 'em up. You could intersperse these with more crafty pages containing the journalling, drawings, etc., so you can keep it all in chronological order. And they don't have to be very crafty at all - if you just want to glue them down to a pretty sheet of paper and move on, by all means do so.

I LOVE this idea! Why have I not seen these before at the craft store?? I was probably too dazed from the aisles and aisles of paper and stickers! I'm going to investigate further...

• stick Said:
Whether you do separate books for each child or combine them as family books is up to you. Do you want to hold on to them so you can enjoy them throughout your life, or do you intend to give the books to the children when they graduate from college or get married or something like that?

Huh, I hadn't thought of it like that before. My immediate thought is: Both! I'd love to hang onto them for life, but I bet my kids will want to take something with them when they move on too. Eek! Is there a solution that can work for both?

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead

There are lots of free printables for journaling cards that fit into those slots.

If you like, you can get some patterned paper to cut into filler for some of the slots. This breaks up the page a little, and also you can start a new "subject" on it's own page without leaving a hole, or the back side of another picture.

I'm with you on simple. My 12 x 12 pages have minimal decoration, I'm all about telling the story!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Melonhead

• Melonhead Said:
There are lots of free printables for journaling cards that fit into those slots.

If you like, you can get some patterned paper to cut into filler for some of the slots. This breaks up the page a little, and also you can start a new "subject" on it's own page without leaving a hole, or the back side of another picture.

I'm with you on simple. My 12 x 12 pages have minimal decoration, I'm all about telling the story!

Ooh, good ideas! Those photo sleeve pages are looking like a great option. I could put a simple title or something on the filler pages too. Where do you find the free printables? Just google it or is it on this site somewhere?

ashleyt00
New Kid On the Block
ashleyt00

1.you should do separate books for each and do a family one too
2.yes but save a little for family books
3.try to separate thing into the same category
4.I'm new too so don't know what to say

your welcome

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to ashleyt00

I LOVE those pocket page protectors. I really ought to post pics of what I've done with them while doing a vacation album - included pics, journaling, ticket stubs, itineraries, etc. I did some standard 12x12 pages and slipped them in the album too. I'm a chronological scrapper too (well, I might not do them in order, but I put the book together in order).

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to scraprabbit

Oh, and d-ring (3-ring) albums are super easy to work with. I'm a fan of the post-bound for the nicer "finished" look at the end, but you can't beat d-ring for the ease of use.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I did separate for my kids and have already given them their books. More work for me, so much easier for them. And I have a set of books where everything goes so I'm making some duplicate pages now.

Making a book for granddaughter and it is pictures I've scrapped which they sent me. However, if we are in them or if it is really special, it goes in my chronological book too.

I like paper and scissors layouts, but that is me. I don't strive to be a great scrapbook artist either. That just isn't important to me. I want them to look nice and be something my family can be proud of.

I also want to get my things in a book chronologically and seldom take the time to b really creative because I scrap so much! We travel a lot so I alwyas have a stack of things to scrap to keep current.

But I don't consider it a waste to buy paper and adhesives, that is what I love about the hobby and I love the dimension. Its nice when my pages are nice and creative, but that isn't my goal.

Yes, put all your memorabilia in the same book.

I spray it first with "Make it Acid Free" so it will hopefully last longer.

I hope you will journal - someday your kids will want to read every word you have written. The pictures just don't always tell the story, there is more to it. Some of my pages are nothing but journaling. I love to read and I love to write. Their scrapbooks are where are their amusing stores are growing up.

Even with my husband I journal our funny stories.

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

I think you might be very interested in Simple Stories (http://simplestories.typepad.com/) products and/or Project Life (http://www.beckyhiggins.com/products/).

Definitely use D-Ring albums.

As for organizing, you may want to look into Library of Memories (Stacy Julian's organizational system). Pretty much the way it's designed is that you have 4 album categories:
All About Us -- includes you and your immediate family (husband and kids)
People We Love -- everybody else
Places We Go -- covers home and travel
Things We Do -- covers holidays, traditions, everyday life, collections, hobbies, etc.
It sounds like you would mostly be doing an ALL ABOUT US album set.

In Stacy's case, in her "All About Us" (family) album, there are 11 subsections. First, 7 subsections for layouts featuring each individual person in her family (herself, husband, each of her 5 children), and then 4 more subsections -- a subsection called "Together Forever" for layouts featuring the whole family together, a subsection called "Oh Brother" for layouts just about her 4 sons, and a subsection called "Just the Girls" for layouts just about her and her daughter. So when one of those "All About Us" albums gets full, she takes the thickest subsection (meaning she scrapbooks that topic the most) and moves into another, identical album (so she has numerous volumes). Thus she will have "All About Us", Vol 3 - and it will contain all layouts about one of her children, or all layouts about "brothers", or whatever.

MyRv4me
Resident
MyRv4me

Definitely journal..... I would so love to have read the thoughts of my ancestors!
Tip.... for those stuck-on photos in the old photo albums, try using dental floss to slide underneath the photo to try and pry it loose.
And if you have a scanner... it would be nice to scan those pics in, so they they can be kept longer.

Have fun

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 01-29-12 07:23 AM
In response to MyRv4me

I think a great place to start is in the back of peoples galleries! Just visit the back of some of those fancy layout galleries & you will see how they have changed as they have grown into awesome scrappers with lots of supplies! It takes time to get a style & I love to see where they have started from! The backs of the scrappers gallery is usually a bit more basic, without all the time learned techniques & supplies!!!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Foamy

i am a simple scrapper. you can check out my gallery. today i did a layout with a background paper, photo mats and 3 pieces of ribbon. i like it.

i have 2 kids (13 mo apart). they each have their own scrapbooks and i have another for the entire family. i print pics every month. if i don't get time to scrap i don't have to worry because the pics are printed for later.

hth

pastorwife
Veteran
pastorwife
In response to Henri Jean

Where can you find "Make It Acid Free"? Is this the real name? How effective is it?
Thanks

Lunie
Lunie 33
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 01-29-12 12:14 PM
In response to pastorwife

A real quickie that I found recently in are mat stacks. Basically, they are themed paper designed to fit a 4x6 photo. Just matting the picture and then putting it onto paper will give a nice effect with little effort. You could use plain mats and stick them on patterned paper or patterned mats and stick them on plain paper. Really cute and quick. I'm a newbie too... I started in October and have just done a few lo's. I don't plan to spend a ton of time on all my photos, just some key ones. The rest, I plan to mat and stick

Better get going, with No. 2 on the way Congratulations and welcome to sbing.

Lunie

New Kid On the Block
In response to Lunie

Okay, this is so much help! Sounds like I should start with 3-ring books, plan to make a set for each child AND a family set for me, and get some photo sleeve pages, some mat stacks, and some "Make it acid free". That should be a good start!

I opened THE BOX tonight. Scary... everything has just been thrown in there. The scraps are all mixed up and a lot don't have dates on them, the photos are all out of order. I've forgotten the answers to a lot of the questions in the baby book. Oh my. I've got to get organized and get moving.

missyG9
Veteran
missyG9

First of all visit your local scrapbook shop. I like Archivers and its a chain. Ask them what Easy Layout Albums they have. I've seen ones for baby and kids. I personally think the album style to go is "Hybrid" and We R Memory Keepers makes the best pages and albums. I'm doing an album for each of my 3 kids and one for myself. You can scrap a fav pic and the next page can just be related pics on a page of photo sleeves because We R memory keepers makes the pages all different and you can mix them up in the album. One page can be a scrapbook page protector and the page next to it could be a collage of vertical or horizontals pics or a mix. I'm doing my parents 50 years of pics with that system and so thankful to have found it. Also, if you have an Archivers Shop near you they can copy pics really nicely for you and then you can give one to kids album and keep other or whatever. You can also have the big 12X12 pages copied and keep one in each album. Just some tips I've learned that are very helpful! Good luck and Have fun!Cheers!

missyG9
Veteran
missyG9
In response to missyG9

Also, before you go to your local scrapbook shop you might want to go online and subscribe to their website and see if you get any coupons right away. Gotta have those!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics