Username Post: spellbinders spiral rose help        (Topic#1569897)
Chefs Wifey
Expert
Chefs Wifey

I am wondering if anyone has any secrets to making roses with the spellinders spiral rose. I am having the darndest time with it. My flowers are coming out a hot mess lol. Thank you for your help in advance!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Chefs Wifey

There's a nice tutorial on this blog.

http://kelseymel.blogspot.com/

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.

I haven't used this die cut personally, but I've used others. Tim Holtz had a suggestion of attaching the beginning to a toothpick with hot glue and then start turning it from there. Then once you have it as tight or loose as you like, then hot glue the bottom part to your flower. Not sure if this makes sense, but you could check his website www.timholtz.com and you may be able to find the video in one of his blogs, I believe it was used in his first Christmas tag this past Christmas. Good luck

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to SandraB.

Jennifer, that die gave me hives the first time I used it. I sweat, I cried, I cursed, I consumed several glasses of wine and cried some more.

Starting with the outer edge, roll it up as tightly as you can and let it go. Then style your "petals" and roll it up again. I use a tiny bit of glossy accents or quick dry glue to the edge on my final roll.

Here's a simple tutorial I did.

My only advice is to keep practicing, it does get easier. And keep that bottle of wine close by.

Peg, thanks for linking my blog! *fist bump*

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kelseymel

I agree with Melissa,,,,,,it takes practice,,,,,,

I found the best way for me was to put a strip about 3 inches long of double sided tape on the back of the rose where you first start rolling helped me to roll it up very tightly for a nice tight middle,,,,,,,,,and then rolling much more loosely for the end worked best,,,,

after the rose was glued, dried and complete, I take a toothpick or something skinny and roll the outer edges of the petals to shape them.

Hope that helps! Everyone has a technique,,,,,use what helps you and develop your own

Chefs Wifey
Expert
Chefs Wifey
In response to CommaHolly

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! It looks like it is so easy but it is rather frustrating trying to get the hang of it. I will keep practicing. Melissa your tutorial was great thanks for sharing I never thought to roll it 2x's and shape the petals before it is glued and rolled and Holly I really like the idea of double sided tape to keep the center tight!

Is there a better type of paper that works best with this? I have used grunge paper, but it keeps ripping on me when I try to shape the petals. Does it make a difference if the cardstock is textured or not?
thanks again!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

they do get easier I have the Close to my Heart rolled roses and you really have to work to get them right they are almost exactly the same as the spellbinders. I like to take my TH pick and rull them very tightly on it and then let it unroll. I then work on my edges and reroll.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Sneezy1956

I have some rolled flower dies from Die namics that DH got me for Christmas. I got a petal roller and it makes life alot easier. I also use Scotch Quick Dry glue to get, I have glue guns (too many burns and now that I have little fingers in the room its a no no for me).

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to CorrieW

I use my tweezer-bee tweezers (they don't sell them on this site) to roll it up, glue the bottom with fabritac, and then use a thin paint brush handle to roll out the petals ... I'm kind of loving this die, but the flower is definitely on the thicker side in terms of height

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics