Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What the heck is a Cricut????        (Topic#1570117)
BRTB 
New Kid On the Block
  • BRTB on 02-02-12 10:43 AM

I'm kinda sorta new to scrapbooking and cardmaking. So, what the heck is a cricut and do I need one??? I saw that Joann's has the Cricut Mini for $99 today. I even went to the "Cricut" website, but I still don't understand what it is and what it does. How do I know if I need one?

Thanks!

Edited by BRTB on 02-02-12 10:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to BRTB

Make sure you check the resources tab up top for a lot of articles, videos and info on products - it can be very useful for a beginner! Also, if you click on the items in the store and scroll down on the product's page, you will often find linked tips and video tutorials to watch.

A Cricut (pronounced like cricket)is an electronic cutter that works without a computer. It is one of several options - there are other cutters that are not electric or cutters that work in conjunction with computers as well.

It uses cartridges and you need to purchase a cartridge if you want to use the fonts/designs on it. With other electronic cutters, you can use fonts/designs from your computer.

I would advise you NOT to get one right away. Take a while to feel out your style. Some people don't use cutters at all. I scrapped for 12 years before getting any sort of cutter. Take time to research the options if you decide you do want a cutter because they can be a giant investment!

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to BRTB

A cricut is an awesome thing to have. It cuts out letters, shapes and other things that you can use on your layouts, cards, or whatever. Instead of buying sticker letters and trying to match the color with your layout, you can use paper and die cut the letters using the perfect cardstock paper or pp. I just got mine not too long ago and I absolutely love it. I also have a Sizzix achine which is a manual die cutting machine, where a cricut is electronic. There are many cartridges you can use for different fonts. I don't know much about the mini. Maybe someone else will be able to answer that question. I look at owning a Cricut as an investment. I use all the time on my layouts, which are creating memories for my family.

missyG9
Veteran
missyG9
In response to BRTB

I agree to start out slow. Do some simple pages and work your way into fancy name stuff. Go to a beginner class at a Scrapbook shop near you. Thats very helpful and fun.

You dont NEED a cricut but they are lots of fun and you can do very cool stuff you couldnt without them and you'll save $$ on stickers & lettering!

I looked into another cutting system and found it to be very expensive for each little design. I think it was Sizzix. You can get a lot of help figuring all this out from a sales person @ Archivers. They were very honest with me and what they recommended for what I wanted was Cricut and they don't sell it.

If you do decide to get a cricut I suggest the Cricut Expression2. Its awesome. Hobby stores have them on special at least monthly as a lot of the coupons dont work toward it.

The cartridges can be quite expensive. Stores will have specific sales on them and look on Ebay for them too. But Cricut Expressions2 Came with 2 Cartridges built in. I got mine on Black Saturday with cartridges dirt cheap. Look for deals! Have Fun!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to missyG9

I just wanted to add that the Cricut usually does not work with a computer; it is cartridge based. However, the Mini DOES need a computer to work and it only works with the cricut craft room.

As the others said, it is not necessary. However, it is good to have. Do your research. there are many cutters available. Ask questions and see if you can try some out....friends, local scrapbook store or a big box store....

Resident
In response to missyG9

• mrgessler2006 Said:
you'll save $$ on stickers & lettering!

Well......that's what I told myself too. it was the main justification for getting a Cricut. But then when I added up the cost for mats, blades, the machine itself and all the cartridges, I knew that wasn't the case for me. No way I would have spent over $800 on stickers and lettering, LOL!

Honestly, I don't use mine very much.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to lynzdee

I got my cricut for Christmas, and i absolutely love it! No, you dont "need" a cricut to scrapbook, but i feel like once you get really into it is when i could consider getting one. I also think that a Cricut is an awesome die-cutting machine, but the cartridges get really pricey, and so do the asserorries. The big thing i use my Cricut for is lettering.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to ellybug312

I couldn't scrapbook without my cricut!!! I love it!!! I save a lot of money by making my own embellishments and letters!!!

Edited by debby_westbrook on 02-02-12 03:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to debby_westbrook

I don't save money making my own embellishments and letters, but the Cricut means I'm able to make embellishments I wouldn't be able to just buy off a shelf, so it's all right.

That said, no, you absolutely don't need it.

suezhunt
Pro
suezhunt
In response to BRTB

I love my Cricut! One thing I especially like it for is cutting shapes. It does the work of about 400 punches because of all the different size settings, and that's just with the cartridge the 6 in cutter comes with!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to suezhunt

I have a Cricut and a Slice. Before you get an electronic cutter do a lot of research to see which one is best for you.

You can make awesome diecuts and titles but you can also make awesome titles without one.

If you have Michaels near you they will show you everything about them. They also have monthly crops at most, if not all Michaels and a Cricut is supplied. They will show you how to use it and help you.

Then you can see what it does and if you like it. Also, that can save you from making the investment right away if you do want one - they have it there specifically for the scrapbookers to use at crops.

BRTB 
New Kid On the Block
  • BRTB on 02-03-12 06:17 AM
In response to Henri Jean

Thanks for all of the replies! I'm definitely going to do more research, but I do admit it looks awfully tempting to buy now that I kind of know what it does.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to BRTB

No, you do NOT need it, and especially if you're not even sure what it is.

I have been scrapbooking over 10 years and own NO diecutting machine. I don't feel the need or want to have one either.

The justification that you'll save money is just that, a justification. How many letter stickers, chipboard, rubons, stamps could you buy for $200+ ??

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Bxr-Linda

It's not a justification for me... I have had my cricut for over two years... I'm now saving money because I don't buy letters and Shapes for my lo's... Over the course of the 2 years, I would have easily paid out $500.00 or more on embellishments and letters. I paid $270.00 for my cricut and I estimate around $250.00 for cartridges... In the long run, I am now saving money...

Resident

I understand what you're saying, Debby, but how much have you spent on mats and blades as well? Are you ONLY going to keep the carts you have or will you purchase more?

I can't personally imagine spending 500 dollars in a couple years on letters and embellishments....maybe I just don't buy stuff like others do. That's a LOT OF LETTERS AND EMBELLISHMENTS! I tend to buy what I believe I'm going to need, not just buy a bunch of stuff with the idea that maybe someday I *might* use it or maybe not. To each their own I guess.

I know for me, a few carts weren't enough and I feel like I constantly need a few designs from this cart and a few designs from another. While I thought I would have worlds open up to me with a Cricut and some carts, I felt more hemmed in by the carts I had because I always felt I needed more.

Of course more carts means more moolah! LOL!

If I could go back and have a do over, I would skip buying the Cricut and buy a few versatile stamp sets and some sets of letters I really like along with some chipboard. I know I would have spent way WAY less doing this even though before I thought the exact opposite.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to lynzdee

I love my Cricut! But, I have SCAL, from before the big legal disagreement. I enjoy making my own matching embellishments and using fonts off the net and not having to buy everything. I will say that I've never bought a cart and the only ones I have are the ones that came with the machine. When it comes time to replace it I will look for a machine that allows use of SCAL or MTC. As the others said the cost of mats, blades and cartridges adds up quickly. And, as another poster said what you choose to invest in will depend on your style of scrapping.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to lynzdee

• lynzj20 Said:
I understand what you're saying, Debby, but how much have you spent on mats and blades as well? Are you ONLY going to keep the carts you have or will you purchase more?

I can't personally imagine spending 500 dollars in a couple years on letters and embellishments....maybe I just don't buy stuff like others do. That's a LOT OF LETTERS AND EMBELLISHMENTS! I tend to buy what I believe I'm going to need, not just buy a bunch of stuff with the idea that maybe someday I *might* use it or maybe not. To each their own I guess.

I know for me, a few carts weren't enough and I feel like I constantly need a few designs from this cart and a few designs from another. While I thought I would have worlds open up to me with a Cricut and some carts, I felt more hemmed in by the carts I had because I always felt I needed more.

Of course more carts means more moolah! LOL!

If I could go back and have a do over, I would skip buying the Cricut and buy a few versatile stamp sets and some sets of letters I really like along with some chipboard. I know I would have spent way WAY less doing this even though before I thought the exact opposite.

The only reason it works for me is because, In the two years I've used 4 mats (I spray adhesive on them to make them last really long) I've only changed my blade once.
Your right about the cartridges... I have 75 (I just bought 2 more) cartridges I didn't count for extra cartridges.. I usually buy on ebay and never go over $20.00 Ummm Now I have to re think it all and just when I thought I was doing so good..

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

I love mine.

I got my first one from a coworker who upgraded to an Expression. I loved it so much that it wasn't long until I wanted a brand new Expression 2!

If you do decide you want one, but not sure about going all in full price and everything- you can check out craigslist- there is always someone in my area selling their original cricuts for not much at all. I've also picked up some cartridges from people on Craigslist for ten bucks each!

-k

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to designguyKORY

All of us have opinions on this subject and they are all valid. I suggest, if you know someone who has a cricut, try theirs first. See if your lss has classes on how to use the cricut. Research other products. Go to a crop and see what others are using and ask them if you can die cut something. I'm sure they won't mind. Scrappers are good for that. I love my cricut and wouldn't trade it for the world, but I have been scrapbooking for as long as I can remember (on and off). I have the Sizzix die cutter and I use that a lot as well. It's upto you. As for saving money, well..... yes and no. Cartridges cost money for all die cutters. If you need a die cut go to your lss and see if they have a die cut that you can punch out right there. Wait, do some research and try. My 2 cents.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to scrappnmom2il

I'm also new at this and before I decided to buy my first Cricut back in September, I did a lot of research on the internet and watch a lot of videos. Now, I've been collecting stuff for the last few years always thinking I would do it one day (something I should't to begin with).

Anyway, I won my Create @ an auction on eBay brand new just for only $35. The power cord was missing but I call ProvoCraft and they sent me one for free no questions ask plus I got 5 cartridges off eBay as well for about $40 and I just pay $20 for my first Cricut 101 class this coming Sunday at my LSS to make sure that I understand the machine and can get the most out of it. My advice to you like others in here already said start small and slow to see if you really like it and go from there. It's your money anyway and you know better than anyone how much you can spend.....

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics