Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: In case anyone is interested in Distress ink storage        (Topic#1570120)
Jennsdoodles
Tenant
Jennsdoodles

I posted how I've done it on my blog. It's pretty simple & works wonderfully for me.

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to Jennsdoodles

Glad you found a system that works for you!

But I thought they needed to be stored flat with top side up. I put all mine in a medium size plastic container with a lid, and slide it under the bed. It keeps my inks from drying out, and it doesn't take up space on my desk. (Although I have been thinking of buying one of those tall ink storage holders for my desk).

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to Love 2 Learn

• Love 2 Learn Said:
Glad you found a system that works for you!

But I thought they needed to be stored flat with top side up. I put all mine in a medium size plastic container with a lid, and slide it under the bed. It keeps my inks from drying out, and it doesn't take up space on my desk. (Although I have been thinking of buying one of those tall ink storage holders for my desk).

Is this true? I have mine in a drawer on their sides.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to aschlegel06

I don't know if there's a wrong way or a right one, but I've always stored mine upside down.

Theory being that the ink will stay at the top of the pad.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

I put my foam blending pads in little ziploc bags made for the jewelry like you did, and have labels on them, but I used my cropadile to punch a hole in the top part then put them on a ring in alphabetical order.

This is how I store my pads:
Distress Ink Pad storage By Rosita

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Great idea with the make-up bag and labeling.

I've had mine stored in my old pink caboodle (remember those ladies?), right side up with it's ink pad velcroed to the bottom. They have been like that for almost a year and I have no problem when I go to use them.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to pugs223

I have mine stored upside down in a converted cassette case. Like the bag idea for the foams (going to do that).

3MiniSchnauzers
Idol
3MiniSchnauzers
In response to pugs223

I found this on the Ranger website.

http://www.rangerink.com/faqs/faq_inks.htm

It's the last FAQ at the bottom that addresses this question on storage.

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to 3MiniSchnauzers

I was just going to post this very same link!

I guess it depends on the type of ink you have,but most of mine are distress inks.

Expert

I thought I had heard that Distress inks did not need to be stored upside down (I do store my other inks like that though). I don't like to store my Distress inks sideways because I'd worry about lids falling off.

I recently found an 8x8 storage case by Iris that works pretty good for my growing collection of TH Distress Inks. I can't see all of the names (I also make labels for the side like the OP), but I stack them in color groups so it's a tad easier to know where to look. When I travel to a crop I'll probably put it in my XXL or another bag sideways, but won't leave it like that all day.

3MiniSchnauzers
Idol
3MiniSchnauzers
In response to HuskerMom98

I saw one of Tim Holtz's video where he actually says you don't need to store distress inks upside down and gives the reason why. I can't for the life of me remember which video is was.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Thanks for posting that link.

I would also like these to store all of my TH inks and goodies in

Products Referenced in This Post:

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

• 3MiniSchnauzers Said:
I found this on the Ranger website.

http://www.rangerink.com/faqs/faq_inks.htm

It's the last FAQ at the bottom that addresses this question on storage.

Good to know! Thanks for posting that.

My Stazon pads are the only ones I store right side up. Everything else (including Distress) are upside down.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Love 2 Learn

Mine are in a container and the container is stored sideways. Guess I'd better fix that when I get home and make sure they are flat!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to HuskerMom98

• HuskerMom98 Said:

I recently found an 8x8 storage case by Iris that works pretty good for my growing collection of TH Distress Inks. I can't see all of the names (I also make labels for the side like the OP), but I stack them in color groups so it's a tad easier to know where to look. When I travel to a crop I'll probably put it in my XXL or another bag sideways, but won't leave it like that all day.

What she said!! Although mine are in 3 drawer sterlite container.

For my foam applicators, I write the name of the color on the back and keep them all together in a jar. Unused ones get their own jar.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

• Jennsdoodles Said:
I posted how I've done it on my blog. It's pretty simple & works wonderfully for me.

Your baggie idea for the sponges is fantastic. Mine are piled on a tray and I can never remember which one I used for what color! Totally stealing that idea.

I keep my TH inks in one of those mini 3 drawer containers from Target. Right side up.

All other inks are upside down.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to kelseymel

The delightful Wendy Vecchi, Ranger's current senior educator, says that up or down doesn't matter with distress ink pads.

I stuck a velcro dot on the bottom of mine, and the blending foam goes on that. They still stack, and I know which one goes with which.

Jennsdoodles
Tenant
Jennsdoodles
In response to Megan - ForumTech

My OCD will not allow me to store them upside down. LOL I also use my inks so much that I don't think they have a chance to settle. I do plan when I get more to put them right side up. (that pink basket is removable) then the bag will be clear & I will still be able to see the labels.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I have mine in stack and stores right side up and my blending pads are in alph order in little mini plastic bags with the name wrote on them then they are on a ring and the ring is on the handle of the stack and stores.

And according to tim they do not need to be stored upside down.

Edited by Sneezy1956 on 02-02-12 07:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 02-02-12 04:32 PM
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
Great idea with the make-up bag and labeling.

I've had mine stored in my old pink caboodle (remember those ladies?), right side up with it's ink pad velcroed to the bottom. They have been like that for almost a year and I have no problem when I go to use them.

Oh! This is perfect for me! I still have MY old pink caboodle, it's sitting empty in the guest room closet because I just can't bear to get rid of it! Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics