Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Shopping for a New Craft Mat/ Glass? Splat?        (Topic#1570183)
CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama

Hello All! I am shopping for a new craft mat. I currently own a VERY small CM mat that I "inherited" and as I do mostly 12x12 work I want a big one. So I am pretty sure I am buying the WRM 16x20 even tho' I already have a metal art ruler. I already own the WRM Sew Easy, but of course that is for the Sew Easy specifically.

My questions are about other mats. A glass mat for example. What technigue would you be doing that you would need that for? Also, if you have a splat mat, do you like it? What are the advantages. Obviously, they each have different properties. I am planning to buy on-line. I went into M's and I swear, they have NOTHING. You can wear yourself out in the Atlanta area driving around just so you can see products.

Just wondering what I would like to have in the future! TIA and have a great weekend!

Edited by CrimsonMama on 02-03-12 05:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert
In response to CrimsonMama

I got the WRMK magnetic mat for Cmas and I do like it, but drives me nuts that the inches are only along the bottom and top, not the sides (those are centimeters). I did mark one side with a permanent marker so that helps a little. Otherwise it's certainly handy, especially since it sits perfectly on the keyboard tray that I usually work on. I do wish I could find more magnets because I do a lot of 2 page LOs and they've been very handy for those (Have not tried the circle cutter or the cutting ruler; I don't think I need them...at least not right now...)

I've never used a glass mat so I'm no help there.

For a splat mat, I use the one by Ranger. Works pretty good for when I'm spraying or inking (and it sits perfectly under my WRMK mat!

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to HuskerMom98

Hmmm that is s good point, I don't think it will be an issue for me. I would like to know about the others.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I use the Ranger non stick craft sheet and LOVE it! Absolutely nothing sticks to this baby! It is very easy for quick clean up...
For cutting and measuring I use the BasicGrey magnetic mat (for which there are extra magnets available) it is so easy to use and the measurements are on top and the side...
Just be careful not to accidentally cut on your craft sheet (as I did and had to buy a new one!).....
Alison
ETA: The Ranger mat is also great for heat embossing as it is totally heat proof...will protect your surface from the heat.
Also, the glass mats....I don't have one either but I would think those would be good if you do a lot of cutting with exacto knives and such....

Edited by kiyawinn on 02-03-12 05:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to kiyawinn

I bought a set of 3 glass cutting boards (each is a different size) for when I'm using a craft knife. I like to cut on the glass because the blades glide across smoothly. If you go this route, make sure you dont get the textured glass boards (at least on one side).

I have a CM cutting mat for use with their shape cutting system.

I have a Ranger craft sheet for embossing and all kinds of paint, glue, sprays, inks etc. but I recently bought a non stick oven liner and use that instead. It has the same properties but its a bit thicker and has a much larger work surface.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to kiyawinn

Awesome, I watched a video on the Ranger and this is grate information. Thank you so much.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to Kim222

Great idea, larger is better for me.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

I don't have a mat but wanting one after reading these posts.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I bought a Olfa 3 part quilting mat. I love love love it! Tons of space to make a mess.

http://www.olfaproducts.com/SPD/olfa-rm-clips-3-o lfa-co...

Got mine @ J's when it was 50% off and used an additional 20% off coupon I had. It's great!

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to Seaexplore

Wow, that is amazing it would cover my whole work area. I never would have thought of looking in the quilting area...don't know how to quilt!

Thanks!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

- the glass mat is the best thing out there for cutting with a blade
- the magnetic mat is best thing out there to hold your projects down with magnets while you are working on it
- a cutting mat is great work area to protect the surface of your table

so what does that mean? you may end up with a combination of all three.. like me

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Well said Gelidy!

I have the craft mat and second what everyone else has said about it. I think its a great value purchase, you will get so many uses out of it! It also great when using Copics.

All this conversation, I am wondering about the glass mat for fussy cutting. The glass would be better than a self healing mat?

Edited by jaxxan on 02-04-12 10:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to jaxxan

OHH yeah, great point about fussy cutting! I really admire some of the folks that do that well.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to Gelidy Gelato

LOL, I'm definitly thinking I will wind up with at least three more!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I have 2 mats and I love them both

splat mat for messy projects, painting, glimmer mist, distress stains, stamping

large Making Memories craft mat for cutting (not magnetic ...THE best purchase I've ever made) ... they don't sell it on sb

Products Referenced in This Post:

Expert
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
I have 2 mats and I love them both

splat mat for messy projects, painting, glimmer mist, distress stains, stamping

large Making Memories craft mat for cutting (not magnetic ...THE best purchase I've ever made) ... they don't sell it on sb

I also have the MM large mat--an absolute essential if you go to crops because you never know what your tabletop surface will be!

Now I need to look into a glass mat... But I did add the BG magnets to my wishlist because I haven't been able to find more for my WRMK mat!!!

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to HuskerMom98

I probably should not say anything because I do not actually own this, but have watched videos and fell in love with the tattered angels misting mat. It is like the ranger mat (works with embossing too) but is 24" x 36"!!!!! I make a BIG mess so I can not wait to finally make the big splurge...
Products Referenced in This Post:

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Rushli

I've seen that tattered angels one at Archivers and, for me, it is very expensive. It was a while ago, but I remember it being like $35-40. I would like to have one, I will have to look into some of these other options.
The only thing I've ever used a glass mat for is my circle cutter.
And yes, don't only look in the scrapbook dept for goods!
I found heat emboss gun in the art dept at Michael's, huge craft mats in the sewing dept at J's and at one point at my super J's they even had MS punches in their card/ gift wrap area??

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to Rushli

I saw that too! But it does seem a little pricy, actually if you add the cost of all of these mats up it's quite an investment.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to madmatter

Ok, then I will look at that before I buy! Thanks for the recommendation!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics