Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cutting Machines...        (Topic#1570267)
tld_92 
New Kid On the Block

Since it is tax time, I am planning on buying a cutting machine. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this a good investment? Thanks!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to tld_92

As I mentioned back in the General Scrapbooking forum, it's not an investment of any type unless you plan to get a financial return from it, such as selling a lot of papercrafted items at craft fairs or on Etsy. A cutting machine is certainly a purchase that needs to be considered on merits of how much you'll use it, the quality of the item, and whether you like the styles of the shapes available for it, but it's not an investment.

However, they can be a great purchase. I have a Sizzix Big Shot and a Cricut Personal, and I love them both and use them frequently.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to aquabunny

You'll get lots of varied answers to this question and everyone will tell you why they love the machine they have. I have a Big Shot and I love how versitle it is.

You can use it with every die out there, with one exception. The largest die in the set of the Grand Nesties.

You can use embossing folders from various manufacturers.

It can cut through more than just paper and cardstock, too. You can cut fabric, veneer, plastic, cork, sponge, chipboard and more!

Its a great machine whether you're looking to make layouts or cards or gifts or tags or home decor etc.

This site has a comparison chart. I'll see if I can find it and link it for you. Do your research and pick the one that is right for you.

Enjoy whichever one you decide on!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

I can't find exactly what I was talking about, but here is something that might help you choose.

http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/doc/39443/36 3.html

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to Kim222

I have a cuttlebug and like it because the sides fold up and it saves space. Someone told me they didn't think you could use the Bigz dies in it but you can I tried it yesterday.

tluvsscrappin
Expert
tluvsscrappin
In response to aschlegel06

I have the Cricut Expression and its so much fun!! U don't have to worry about runnin out of A's ( those letters we always run out of). LOL... If u love this wonderful hobby & have the extra money treat yourself!! Happy Scrappin!!!

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to tluvsscrappin

I never thought I would use my Cricut Expression. But I use it alot and Love It !!!! Good luck on your decision.

New Kid On the Block
In response to kajunkat

I have the Cricut expression and the Cuttlebug. They are both great. I use the cuttlebug primarily for embossing and the Cricut for cutting. I use both for cardmaking and scrapbooking, and between the two can usually find a cartridge, die, or folder for whatever I'm doing. Do your research and make sure you look at the capabilities of each machine. Good Luck and Happy Scrappin'

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to theresajordan67

I have the cricut expression, a Slice and a Cuttlebug. Love them all for different reasons. The Cuttlebug cuts and embosses and uses no electricity. The embossing folders are relatively inexpensive. With the other 2, you need to buy cartridges which are usually about $40. If a good friend asked me in person, the first thing I would demo. for her would be the Cuttlebug. Watch for sales and coupons.

Cara88
Cara88 
Expert
Cara88
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I bought the cameo and will get it soon! Excited to try it out

mykelsonnier
Tenant
mykelsonnier
In response to Cara88

I am also curious about cutters. I currently have a Cricut personal. I love it, but wish I would have gotten a bigger one. I am also using SCAL2 on my cricut, and love that. Im wanting to upgrade, but am cruious....if I buy an new Cricut...can I use SCAL2 on it, or would I be better off buying a machine that I can you SCAL2 on or update to SCAL3. I want to be able to cut bigger than te 6x12 I am able to cut now. Any advice?

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to mykelsonnier

• mykelsonnier Said:
I am also curious about cutters. I currently have a Cricut personal. I love it, but wish I would have gotten a bigger one. I am also using SCAL2 on my cricut, and love that. Im wanting to upgrade, but am cruious....if I buy an new Cricut...can I use SCAL2 on it, or would I be better off buying a machine that I can you SCAL2 on or update to SCAL3. I want to be able to cut bigger than te 6x12 I am able to cut now. Any advice?

I own a Cricut Create and although I'm not familiar with SCAL2 or 3 as far as I know, you better off researching some more and getting a cutter that you'll be able to use with those software. I heard about a lawsuit that prevent you from using the Cricut with any third-party software.

Sorry that I'm not much help..Maybe someone in here would provide you with more info...

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to GIGIGI30

I was in the same boat, in terms of wishing I had bought the 12"x12". When my Create died I searched on the net and found the Expression. If you can find one, and you will, if you search online, it has the same firmware required for SCAL - I LUV SCAL! Anyhoo, just because they settled with PC, doesn't mean PC recalled all the machines they have at various stores and changed the firmware in them, SCAL2 WILL NOT work with the Expression2. But again, I LUV SCAL Keep a smile M.

Edited by Momto3infinity on 02-22-12 12:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mykelsonnier
Tenant
mykelsonnier
In response to Momto3infinity

So tell me which Cricut did you buy? My personal has firmware 1.34 and I can run SCAL2, but can not upgrade....which is fine by me...I love SCAL too!! And I love my Cricut just want to cut bigger. So where should I look for a bigger one at and how will I know what firmware it has on it? Thanks for the help, thats what I needed to know.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity

I bought mine from Overstock.com. I waited for one of their no shipping/ridiculously low shipping days. I think I got it for $169 about 6 months ago. It has V. 2.31 firmware on it. It's a pretty green with swirls all over it. If you look in my gallery and look for my scrap room photo on it's own separate tab, you'll see it on my desk. As far as knowing which firmware is on it, if it's an E (1) it has the same firmware I mentioned above. I believe PC specifically released the E (2) so that the firmware would not work with SCAL (1) (2) or (3). I did go to a local J's and bought the E (2) and tried to hook it up, but it would not work. The next time I'm on Overstock.com I just may buy another to have as a backup - Keep a smile M.

mykelsonnier
Tenant
mykelsonnier

Im looking on ebay to see what I can find. Im only seeing two on overstock. I want to get rid of my smaller one first before getting the new one....I dont have the awesome space you have...I must share a 10x12 spare bedroom with my scrapbooking stuff. How hard did you have to dig to find E1? I found one on ebay with 2.31 and if I remember correctly that is the version you can use with scal 2. I don't want to be without my SCAL. LOL. Thanks for all your help.

mykelsonnier
Tenant
mykelsonnier

I just went to scrappingtable.com...thats where I bought my SCAL2 from...and its says firmware 2.35 (for the expression) is the last version of firmware to use. Just letting you know what I found since you may be looking for another one.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity

Well, I just 'googled' it and a few sites came up. Just beware of buying a used or reconditioned unit, you will not know if the firmware has been updated. I would buy NIB.

mykelsonnier
Tenant
mykelsonnier

Thats what I was looking for was a NIB. Thanks

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity

Thanks for the heads up on Scrappingtable.com - I'd never seen that site before. I'm not having any issues cutting with 2.31, so I'm not even going to risk a firmware update I run on a Mac OS X platform and any time I needed to do a firmware upgrade, I had to find a friend on a Windows platform. Good luck in your search - and post some of your work, there are very few SCAL users here, it's fun to see what others do with it. Keep a smile M.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics