Username Post: Boo Hoo Hoo, My Grand Calibur Broke        (Topic#1570319)
Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose

I've only had it since June. I can't do without it. I use it every day and have about 20 sets of dies. I'll contact Spellbinder tomorrow and see if they can fix it. If not, I think I'll go with Tim Holtz Vagabond. Any thoughts on the TH?

Edited by Mother Goose on 02-06-12 01:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to Mother Goose

I just posted about the Vagabond. I have had two - the first one I broke by trying to make my own sandwich for one of those very thin dies. MY FAULT for not following directions. Otherwise, I love the Vagabond. I broke my right wrist so I needed an eectric machine that looked good enough to keep out in our dining room. Two thumbs up!It's adorable and cuts everything.

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Mayor
KVRLVN
In response to theellenbee

I'm sorry that your machine broke. Can I ask how did it break? It's on my wish list to buy, but wanting it to be durable. Would you not just buy another one or it's really not a good product?

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to KVRLVN

I just got a Grand Calibur and haven't even tried it yet because I have been sick. There website says it's built to be "sturdy enough to stand the test of time". I'll be interested in what they say about fixing replacing. Glad I saved the box!

I got a great deal on mine but I certainly want it to last! The good news is that their website also says it comes with a limited one year warranty.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to KVRLVN

It is durable and wonderful and adorable. I BROKE it by being impatient. I needed the slim shim in order to cut those tiny thin dies and so decided to rig something up thinking I was a smarty pants. I'm not!! I broke the mechanism that feeds the plates into the cutting thing a ma gig. Called Sizzix and they said it couldn't be fixed. MY FAULT and I bought a second Vagabond. Love it, couldn't scrap without it!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to theellenbee

Definitely recommend the vegabond! I just love mine, especially that it can cut several sheets of pp at a time and cuts grunge and chip board like a dream!

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to MrsAnnieS

How did it break?

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to Diva Scraps

OK, here's the short story. I've been using the cuddlebug dies in the GC. They go through ok, and if I have too much resistance, I back off. I tried to use a sizzix sizzlet die in it and it stuck. I finally got it to back out, but I started hearing a rattle inside, then it would not work at all. I called Spellbinder and they said that because I used the other dies without the raspberry plate that I voided the warranty. But the good news is that if I ship it back to them along with a check for $25, they will fix it and ship it back and pay for the return shipping. Good enough for me since it was my fault. By the way, after I called them, I turned my machine around so the handle turns the other way and it will still work somewhat. DH said even if I want it fixed, that I should go ahead the buy the Big Shot or the Vagabond so that I can cut the thicker dies. What a man. So here's what I'm going to do. Hold off sending the GC back until I get the other machine, since I can still use the GC. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Mother Goose on 02-06-12 07:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

oh thank goodness,,,,,I want that machine, and I was hoping it wasn't shoddy or anything,,

glad it was user error,,,,,although you might not be LOL,,,,

not half bad though,,,,,,25 bucks is better than buying a whole new machine!

and yes,,,,,,get a CB or a BS to cut your thicker dies with!!!! you NEED it.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama

Ok, this is good to know I am so glad you posted all of this. Before I use that little beauty, I am going to read all the information and watch all the videos on their website. I am so unfamilar with these products, but their website is great.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to CrimsonMama

I truly love my GC. I have about 20 sets of dies and want a lot more. I have a Cricut and use it frequently, but it does not cut as crisp and intricate as the GC. The embossing is fabulous. I have mounted magnetic strips on a white board to hold my dies (see my gallery - I have more dies on it now. I have to order the raspberry plate so I don't mess up my machine again.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama

Fantastic! I think I picked the right thing. I only have four sets of dies but there are so many cool ones.

I'm new to scrapping so I need (want) so many things!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

I am sorry that happened. I am very glad they are letting you send it in for 25. YEAH on dh thinking you need a Big Shot in the meantime.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to anda11

That's nice that they will fix it for you. $25 isn't bad considering how much you paid for it in the beginning. And if you have a collection of the die cuts, it is well worth it. Sorry it happened though.

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Mayor
KVRLVN
In response to scrappnmom2il

Thanks for the explanation. I am eventually getting the GC and the Spellbinder dies, it just a matter of when.

Yes, the raspberry plate is essential for many of the dies. I have stalked their website for info for several days before determining that this is the machine I want and tips on how to use it.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to KVRLVN

Even though I have 2 Cricuts, I still LOVE my Big Shot. You wouldn't regret getting one.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to dwelch

Good news that you can get you GC fixed. You will need it if you want to use any of the Grand Nesties as they won't fit in the Bigshot or the Vagabond (I think). I believe it is the same width as the Big Shot. Did your GC not come with a set of 3 mats?

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to SandraB.

That is great that they will fix it so cheap..I would use that option too. I also have a big shot and love it...each tool has its own pros & cons, and for that reason I can't help but to buy so many!! lol

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics