Username Post: Cuttlebug with other Dies        (Topic#1570359)
pugs223
Idol
pugs223

I have really just started to use my CB for the die-cutting aspect. I have a couple of sets of Nestabilities and am just wondering what other brands do or do not work with the CB.

Do the TH dies and other dies with the foam work in the Cuttlebug? Are any of the sandwich pieces needed?

I fear breaking my machine if I just try, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience with what works and what doesn't.

Thank you.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to pugs223

My understanding from other recent threads on the topic is that yes, you can use Sizzix dies, including the Bigz (which is the size a lot of the Tim Holtz dies are), in the Cuttlebug. I do not, however, have firsthand experience.

I LOVE that on-the-edge die with the gears! Andrea, stop it, you don't need more gears! I love gears! And never use them!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to aquabunny

I love gears too! My DH is a total gear head and my DS tends to take after him, so I need gear stuff! I have a 12in gear embossing folder, the TH metal gear embellishments, and gear paper. I just need the 5x7 gear embossing folder and the die listed above.

Thanks for responding. I just wasn't sure about those with the plastic base and the foam. Guess I'll just try and see.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to pugs223

You also need the Spellbinders "Sprightly Sprockets." Seriously.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to aquabunny

OH I do like those. I was thinking about the TH gears, but I like the detail in Spellbinders better I think.

New Kid On the Block
In response to pugs223

Hi pugs--how did the stackables do in the cb and how did you sandwich it? My cb is a fantastic embosser and i want to do more with dies. Want to order stackables.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to craftie one

I use a B plate, the Sizzix die, paper and another B plate to cut the thick dies. Works fine.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to flintridgescrapper

Does anyone happen to know, do the long narrow TH dies work in Cuttlebug if used with the long TH plates?

Carrie8038
Tenant
Carrie8038
In response to chocolateaxel

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is still interested, yes you can use the Sizzix Sizzlet dies (the thin ones) with your cuttlebug. I recently purchased the Tim Holtz Mini Rosettes die referenced in the very first post here. I purchased the longer A plate and the longer B plates and ran in through my CB just fine.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to Carrie8038

I just got Sizzlit's TH long alpha strip die "Vintage Market." I've played around with it, cutting letters from the beginning, middle and end of the strip with my CB. Works fine so far. May be a different story when I go to actually use it. Do I really need longer plates?

Kim

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to jaspernonyx

For an alphabet strip, not so much, but for dies where a single shape takes up the whole length of the strip, you may get some crinkling if you have to run it through in sections like that without a single long pad. Disclaimer, I have only used decorative strips in a Sizzix Big Kick.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-22-12 07:21 AM
In response to aquabunny

Kim, I get by fine without longer pads. The trick is to not turn the whole platform around, but to put it all through the machine in the same direction for both passes. So - position the 'front' of your die and paper on the cutting pads, run it through, then basically just slide your cutting pads down do the 'back' of your die and paper and put it through in the same direction. If you turn your whole platform around it always crinkles at the point where the first cutting pass meets the second. Hope that makes sense!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to stick

It's just like when the original machine came out, you had to cut, slide, cut, slide the whole length.

Carrie8038
Tenant
Carrie8038
In response to Seaexplore

Question for those using the Nestabilities...how do you sandwich your dies using the Cuttlebug? I'm looking at getting a nestabilitty set, but I'm wondering if the plates I have are enough.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

A Spacer, B cutting plate, paper, die, C plate.

Carrie8038
Tenant
Carrie8038
In response to Here Kitty

Bummer, I guess that means Ineed to buy a C plate. Maybe I'll wait on the nestabilities. Thanks for the reply.

Memories4Ever
Idol
Memories4Ever

I just ordered my first set of Nestabilities and a c plate....anxiously waiting for them to arrive!

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to Memories4Ever

I got one of the thicker sizzix dies and can't find the right sandwich combination to make it work- any suggestions?

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to crazycricut

I use the Lifestyle Crafts dies in my CB. I have also used Marianne, Cheery Lynn, My favorite things, and other brands that say "thin steel" on the packaging.

Diva
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Wonderful. Got the responses to a lot of my questions. Glad found this thread.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics