Page 3 of 3 
Username Post: So what do you think?        (Topic#1570527)
runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to JayAndXansMom

• JayAndXansMom Said:
Maybe he could have done some things differently..but we've all been there, I'm sure.

Some kids NEED to punishment in forms like this. For some kids, simply taking things away does nothing.

About two years ago, my now 6 year old was horrible about breaking other people's things. We had talked about it, we had taken some of his things away, etc. Nothing was working. I finally told him that if he broke something that belonged to someone else, then I was going to break something of his. He kicked the screen of my laptop a couple of weeks later..on purpose. Well, I took his favorite bear and cut it's head off. Did that work?? YES!! We haven't had any problems since. Was that over the top?? Some people may think so...but in our situation, it worked. No one was harmed but it sent a message loud and clear.

OMG I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I'll go with laugh

My DS was being naughty at preK day after day after day. We took away this and that and this and that. Finally, I made his favorite bear sleep in the closet. DS cried and cried! It was torture! We didn't have any more naughty behaviors reported from his preK teacher. I felt so cruel, making that bear sleep all by itself. In the dark.

"Extreme" is different for everyone.

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to runzalot81

You can laugh, Alissa. It was actually one of those 'blanket bears', where it has the bear head and the 'body' is a little blanket. It hurt my heart to cut it's head off because he had had it since he was a baby...but parenting isn't easy. He still sleeps with the blanket part and the poor bear's head is floating around here somewhere!!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to runzalot81

Alissa, that is hilarious!!!!

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to Luvmyfam

You've gotta do what you've gotta do and I'd rather see extreme parenting than no parenting at all!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Diva Scraps

I agree with that, but I still think relationshiops are built early and that is when it really takes a lot of parenting.

Juggy
Juggy 
Mayor
Juggy
  • Juggy on 02-12-12 03:07 PM
In response to Henri Jean

One assumption that we have all made .. is that the laptop was "worth" donating. My current lappy is pretty old and running on its last legs. We've looked at adding memory etc, its just doesnt make sense to upgrade this one when a new lappy would be the same cost for what I need.

Maybe her laptop was a piece of carp ...

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to Juggy

Juggy...I doubt it with an IT dad. He himself said he put $130 in software/upgrades, etc. IT guys know when its more worth it to buy a new one than to upgrade...

Juggy
Juggy 
Mayor
Juggy
  • Juggy on 02-12-12 04:20 PM
In response to Mercy4Free

Yes Mercy - I agree IT guys know when ... been married to one for 21 years.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Juggy

I am a phone smasher, cord cutter, stereo slammer, and PSP thrower from WAY back, so this was right up my alley. Ive been there before with my own, and sounds like he hit her where it counted.

We have parents nowadays that burn, maim, torture, throw their kids off overpasses and bridges, burn the house down with them inside, drown them in the tub, river etc......when frustrated with them or life in general.

A laptop (replaceable) is worth it.

As long as society continues to take away the parents right to discipline fairly, even if it means a swat on the bottom, parents will have the increased rebellion to deal with and have to be more creative in dealing with it.

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 02-12-12 06:15 PM
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
I think he's a fool.

I won't pretend that I know what it's like to parent a teenager - I'm not there yet.

I do know that every teen will at some point hate their parents and bad mouth them.

I do know that when my dd is 15 she will not be allowed to block me on facebook - if she's even allowed to have a facebook account.

Taking things away is very effective, shooting them makes you look like a loony redneck.

It seemed to me that he was so angry with her that he was trying to humiliate her. Why in the world would he tape that for the world to see?

I know my opinion won't be the popular one and I'm okay with that. I just choose to parent differently.

I agree!

I hated my parents as a teen. Not sure I had any good reason, either. Shooting a laptop? Really? Just take it away or restrict usage or some other punishment. But to use a gun...

humiliating a child is not smart parenting, imo (course, dd is only four months....)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ELynn

I agree - better to take it out on the computer than the child when you are that angry or frustrated.

Page 3 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics