Username Post: How to stop ribbon fraying???        (Topic#1570665)
Tenant

I am very new to card making and have not done any scrapbooking. I love to use ribbons on my cards, but many types fray at the edges. What do you do to prevent it from starting to fray? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Crafted Essentials

• Crafted Essentials Said:
I am very new to card making and have not done any scrapbooking. I love to use ribbons on my cards, but many types fray at the edges. What do you do to prevent it from starting to fray? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

fray stop will do the job,,,,in the sewing notions section of J's or M's,,,,,,

clear nail polish,,,,,,

heat the ends with a candle just until they melt a bit,,,,,

and there's a new doo-hickey I want that cuts the ribbon and heats it so they don't fray,,,,
Products Referenced in This Post:

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to CommaHolly

I found a tip on a YouTube video where they took a lighter and run it lightly across the end, not enough to catch fire or singe it, but just enough to lightly melt the strands. I tried it this week, and it works.

Tenant
In response to flintridgescrapper

Thank you ladies, I love your ideas!!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Crafted Essentials

Holly, I thought of you as soon as I saw the ribbon cutter/heater ... it seemed like something you would need/love

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
Holly, I thought of you as soon as I saw the ribbon cutter/heater ... it seemed like something you would need/love

I did, too! I got an email about it a few days ago and thought about Holly immediately. Too funny.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kelseymel

you guys know me too well LOL! yes, I NEEEEEED it LOL.

Esmee
Esmee 
Resident
Esmee
  • Esmee on 02-16-12 07:36 AM
In response to CommaHolly

Indeed, melt it a bit. Instead of a flame, you can also use something like an incense stick (to avoid the risk that your ribbon catches fire ). With something that glows, you are able to make patterns to, if you want (a wave or round edge).

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Esmee

I use a lighted match, and hold the ribbon underneath the flame NOT above it. That way you can control how much melting you get.

MindyO
MindyO 
Veteran
MindyO
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I have seen a wood burning tool used to cut the ribbon and it melts it as it "cuts" so no fray.
I was going to get one just for this purpose.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics