Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: New printer issue - HP 7500A Wide Format Printer - Printing Photos        (Topic#1570909)
Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity

I'm having an issue with my printer and I'm wondering if any of you that may have this printer have the same problem and if so what corrective measures you may have used. I have contacted the manufacturer and they don't really have a fix for it or understand why it's happening.

The problem: When I 'fix' a problem in a photo and go to reprint it, the colours are not true to life. I like to reprint photos often for resizing, fixing, etc. The manufacturer has told me to set my print settings as 'no colour management' and let the printer do all the work.

An example is the LO of my ds below, the three photos hanging on the clothesline are reprints from my printer. The one in the lower right-hand corner is an original from Walgreens. I used Photoshop to airbrush out his privates on the top three, he would have been very upset if I had scrapped pics like this without doing so :).

My old printer, which I don't have anymore didn't have this issue.

If no one else has this printer, does anyone have a suggestion for what photo printer to use? One that doesn't necessarily have to print 4x6.. TIA

MJNP21 By Momto3infinity

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Momto3infinity

is a non corrected print from your printer "true", ie does it look the way you think it should look. If it doesn't, then it's probable that your monitor needs to be calibrated to your printer. In other words, your monitor is set to print a lime green circle. Trouble is that your monitor is showing that the circle is apple green. You need to adjust your monitor (and there are a variety of ways to do this, either repost in the photography forum to catch the attention of people more knowledgeable than I or google "monitor calibration for printing") so that it shows you a lime green circle.

eshascreations
Tenant
eshascreations

I have the same printer & I hardly have any problems involving pictures, even when I print them on regular paper.
It looks like maybe a) You was running out of ink
b) You didn't set it up to print on photo paper. Sometimes I forget to do that myself.
On the screen on the printer, press "photo" & then hit reprint & follow the directions from there.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to eshascreations

Thanks everyone, I've calibrated my screen. I'm going to see if there is a difference between using a scanned photo vs. a photo that's on a CD. Keep a smile M.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I agree with Moxiegirl that it's very likely that your graphics program/monitor/printer are "looking through different colored glasses" I don't have that printer, but I have 2 HP photosmarts that print beautifully. I prefer printing at home because I can adjust the colors, brightness and cropping. Even when I have a photo at 4x6 it seems like the "pros" always manage to re-adjust it and cut some of it off. Grrrr...

I have my printers set up for Colorsmart/sRGB. I'm off a little bit, but I've never bothered calibrating my monitoring and I know how to adjust it in the printer program. Someday I'll take the time to adjust my monitor~

If you have time to play, take one of your pix and go into the print settings. Go to the color tab and try printing at the different settings. Mine has choices of Colorsmart/Adobe/app-mana ged colors. (I'm not sure why it's putting a space in "managed".)

You can also click on More Color Options on the color tab and do some manual adjustments. If you find what works, save it as a preference.

(You might want to crop your playing-around picture to a small size, but big enough to see what you're doing, so you don't use a ton of ink.)

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Sometimes I get bad coloring, or actually bad lighting, when I scan, especially older pix that I try to fix. I've learned (but often forget) that it's good to make the on-screen pic smaller before I print it to see what it looks like at a more normal size. What looks good in the graphics program on a big monitor is sometimes overpowering in a small "real" picture.

Hope you understood what I'm trying to say...I'm not sure I even do Basically, I tend to over-correct and sometimes it's too brightly colored or too contrasted.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to mrsdriver5

Good evening mrsdriver5! I might just do some tinkering around tomorrow as you suggested. I've been looking online at other sites and it seems others are having the same issue with this printer. It's not a Photosmart but a Wide Format. I don't think it was built for working with photo editing software. Argghhh (said in a very piratey way) Anything else I print from any other program turns out just fine, so this has become a source of frustration for me. Keep a smile M.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

One of my printers is a wide format, an HP photosmart B8550 and I love it for printing on 12x12 paper. I have a ton of pp, but end out making most of my backgrounds I especially like it for "big journaling". I like the look of the print right on the background instead of a big piece of journaled-cardstock stuck on. (I'm probably just doing it wrong!) I save the tag-type journaling for the smaller journaling projects.

Good luck with your tinkering~

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Also, an idea for bath pix. We have a bathroom decorated in rubber duckies. I bought a floating frame that holds multiple pix, so I printed pictures of each of our kids/grandkids as bathing babies. I wanted to cover a few private parts, so found a clipart duckie and put it in strategic areas with my graphics program before printing. It turned out cute because I made sure to put the duck somewhere in each one of the pictures, even if it wasn't needed for privacy. It would be easy to add a boat or any bath toy wherever it's needed and saves from having to do the blurred look. I do like your layout...very cute!

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity

That is a cute idea! I agree with printing your own backgrounds, makes it so much more personal. I used the wide format printer to create and print off the background paper in my L•O•V•E LO. I bought the printer specifically for scrappin', so this problem has to get resolved. Thanks for all your suggestions, I appreciate it.

I'm having a technique issue with melting crayons for a 12x12 LO I'm working on, I may just melt them down the page and then scan it to create my own paper and circumvent the issue of wax altogether.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I saw your crayon post, but I haven't done anything like that. My first thought was how long-term safe would it be? Like if a book got left in a hot spot would it make a mess? I know me...if I can mess it up, I'll figure out a way

If you printed it out the way you wanted it, then maybe used Glossy Accents to add dimension and shine, would that give you a safe way of doing the look you want? (BTW, great idea which I may steal sometime! Hopefully I'll remember where I got the idea~)

There are probably other ways to bling up the printed crayons, but I'm definitely a newbie at scrapbooking!

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity

There are two processes involved that make it safe for scrapbooking: 1) by using an iron and a paper towel, any excess wax is removed and, 2) sealing it with Liquitex Varnish (which is acid free) prevents any colour from rubbing off.

It's been fun to experiment with it. Why should kids have all the fun? Next I'll be trying to figure out how to add Play-doh to my LO's.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I've thought of play-doh, then considered using polymar clay, but then I'm afraid that might lead to a new addiction. I can't afford that in time or money! I did buy some inkjet shrinky-dink to play around with though Have fun playing~

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity

Got my photos printing properly! WOO HOO!!! I can open/edit in Photoshop, save changes and then re-import them to iPhoto to print. The colours come out exact. I'm so much happier now. I was going to take the printer out to the garage and give it a beat down Thanks everyone for your input, just needed to 'tinker'. Keep a smile M.

DesiLee
Idol
DesiLee

I have that printer and have noticed my pictures print darker than normal too. What is iPhoto? Is that something that only comes on Apple computers? I wonder if I were to print from the HP photo manager thing if that would make them print out right. I've never had a good photo printer before, so I always assumed that the darker photos were just something I'd have to put up with if I printed my photos from home.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to DesiLee

Hi DesiLee, I run on a Mac OSX platform. iPhoto is Mac's proprietary software for photo printing and editing. I've run numerous tests this morning and have concluded that printing from Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 (APE6) is the culprit. iPhoto can work with the HP printer just fine, my scanned images printed in iPhoto are identical to images produced by Walgreens. Even images I scan on the HP, then edit into APE6, and re-import into iPhoto are perfect. This printers drivers must not handle APE6 very well. I may look at updating my software to APE10. Anyhoo - keep a smile M.

P.S. if your images were printing as bad as mine, pm me and we can look at your software.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

This is really bad. I'm feeling like I need a printer now because I love the look of journaling directly on the paper. But if I get one - I'm going to want a larger scanner too! Where does it end?

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to Henri Jean

Good morning Henri Jean,

That is the great thing about this printer, you can scan your LO's, in two pieces, and then photo stitch them together. That is how I upload all my images to my gallery here.

It also saves me a trip to Archiver's to scan and reprint my LO's to make separate books for my children. And, the quality is the same as, if not better, than Archivers.

I printed the background paper (the trees) for this LO:

L�O�V�E By Momto3infinity

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I have had a lot of trouble with stitching in the past. Just can't seem to get it right and now I have forgotten how.

My son figured it out for me but it was a pretty techincal process for my tiny brain which doesn't grasp most technical things easily.

Sounds like I ned to explore stitching again and try again to figure it out. We have a different printer/scanner than we had when my son figured it out so it would be different process.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

I forgot to mention - I love how you did the background paper for your layout. I can see how that would really be great to do using your own phtos for background paper.

If you did that, couldn't you easiy use Microsoft Picture Manager (yes, I crop and lighten and darken using that because it is so simple and comes with office) and put an opaque block on it to type your journaling if your background paper is too dark to type over?

I take all of our travel photos and use them on my screen saver - over 600 of them! Each has typed on it the date and where we were or who the people are. Seems like it would be easy to put a journaling block there either over the background paper or if its dark, to use a opaque block to type it in and it would print with the background paper. Does that make sense?

Oh my. Need to get a new iPhone in the next few days so I can scan bar codes and now I need to look for another new printer.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics