Username Post: What kind of camera....        (Topic#1570913)
SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi

What kind of camera is everyone using?

I was using a Fujifilm Fine pix S2500HD camera, but hubby just bought me a Nikon D50 for my birthday.. OMG I am in love!

Any special lense recommendations? or settings? I am still learning how to use it and how all the different settings work but it is by far the best camera I have owned yet.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to SQ Mandi

A Nikon D50 or D5000? Because the D50 is pretty outdated and your Fuji pretty much stomps it in terms of ISO performance and range. Not meaning to be harsh or burst a bubble if it is the D50, but that's a really, really outdated body. In terms of specs (especially ISO range and performance) the Fuji you have is a "better" camera. Not that you can't make great images with the D50, but the much newer Fuji p&s actually has the advantage in many situations, like low light.

As far as lenses... what do you have? I'm guessing an 18-55 kit or something similar? If so, I'd stick with that until you see where it comes up short for you. Find out what shots you can't get that you want to get. That will give you a really good indication of what your next lens purchase should be. I can tell you what I'd buy but that's a lens that suits my shooting style and you have to find what suits your shooting style.

As far as what I shoot with, a Canon 50D, my backup DSLR is a Canon Rebel XT. And I shoot a lot of medium and large format film as well as the occasional roll of 35mm.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to photo_chick

Thanks for the response Danielle.
It is the D50. I was having so many issues with my fuji, not sure why, it is the 2nd one I owned (Different model) Half the pics would come out blurry, no matter what setting I had it on and then it wouldn't focus. I did call fuji and they said it sounded like there was something off with the lense and wanted me to send it in for repair. To have it repaired I would of paid 300.00 easily just for repair and shipping according to them, and that is what I paid for the camera lol. I just made due with it until I could decided what I wanted to do. Hubby brought me to get the Nikon on 2/8. While it is not the exact one I wanted, (I was hoping for the D90) it has yet to not do what I want it to do. It came with 2 lenses, an 18-55 and then a 70-300.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to SQ Mandi

Problems with the Fuji does change things. Yeah, the D50 goes for around $200 used and the D90 goes for more than $600, that's a good price difference when you're on a budget.

Ok, you say it has yet to not do what you want. Then don't buy any lenses right now. You'll hit a point where you won't be able to get the shots you want. Chances are it will be in the low light area first and you'll want to pick up a fast prime (it's what happens to most people with older bodies). But until then save your money so that when you do get some new glass you know it's a lens you really want and will use.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi

We actually got this brand new still in the box S
I think in total, with the second lense and with the insurance/warranty we got on it, it came to just 500 . Okay..well DH got. lol

I was just wondering what lenses are out there- so I know if I do start getting shots I don't want, that I know there is a lense to fix it lol If that makes sense?

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to SQ Mandi

Wow.. $500 is a lot, even with that lens, for a camera from 2005 especially when you consider that you can get a new model entry level DSLR for about that.

There are so many lenses out there that it really depends on what you want to do. It's the kind of thing where if you have to ask what lens to get then you're not ready to buy a lens, know what I mean? Once you know how to use your camera you will know what lens you need to get the shots you want.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi

Well we paid just over 100 just for the insurance/warranty. The camera with the lense was priced at 380. The insurance was 105 and then tax. We did find the D50 in one other store locally for 570 used with just the starter lense. On amazon he was only finding the body new for 999.99 & then with the one lense for 1899. (Idk what the heck is up with that LOL)

I guess I will just play around with it some more and see. Thanks for the advice!

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to SQ Mandi

If it truly is new then it should have a warranty from Nikon for no additional charge. All you need is the original purchase reciept and Nikon will honor it. Unless it's gray market, in which case the warranty you bought won't be honored by Nikon at all.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

mandi, i just bought the canon eos rebel t3 with a 18-55 standard kit lense. while i have only had it for 3 days, i am loving it so far! i too will be upgrading my lens soon as I know i will need something that can take me a little farther... i too will be learning the whole shebang of settings and thelike. I paid just 511 for mine brand new with the lens, battery,charger, and i also picked up the sd card. i am going with the warranty from canon and i cant' be happier with my purchase.

TMccrory
Resident
TMccrory
In response to flutterbye0419

I also have the Canon Eos Rebel T3 and absolutely love it!!!! Mine was a Christmas present to myself with hubby's help! I too am still getting to know the camera and settings and cannot wait for spring and summer to come when I can really have fun taking pictures!! I bought mine at BJ's before Christmas, they had an awesome deal on it. It was on sale for $649, you got the camera, 18-55mm lens with image stablizer, 55-250mm lens with image stabilizer, the camera bag, 4gb sd card, battery and charger, usb cord and some books. The lenses alone are like $200 or more. I even researched on Amazon and other sites and just couldn't come close to that deal!! And I was totally worried about it only being 12.2mp and it not being good enough, it has totally exceeded my expectations and then some!! Totally a kick-a$$ camera!!!
Tracy

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to TMccrory

12.2 MP is plenty. 8 MP is actually enough for most situations.

sunshineann
Resident
sunshineann

I just recently purchased the T3 and I too loveee it. I also just recently upgraded the lense because the lense with the camera just did not go out far enough for me. I'm learning the ins and outs of it but there is so much to learn. Its so much fun.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to sunshineann

yeah, i will be upgrading my lens soon.. i totally get that it doesn't go out far enough lol

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to flutterbye0419

You'll end up with several lenses in your bag if you keep at this. With a DSLR you have to choose the right lens for a job and no one lens does it all.

Nikki Dee
Resident
Nikki Dee

I know this is kind of an old post but I am sick at home and bored so I thought I would chime in.

I have a Canon 60D and LOVE IT! I have the 18-135mm kit lens (which is actually pretty good for a kit lens), the 50mm 1.8 (LOVE) and the 55-250mm telephoto.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Nikki Dee

If you are just now learning to use a DSLR your D50 will work just fine, trust me. Yes, its outdated, but that's not a big deal. You can learn all the basics with that one just as well as with a very expensive, brand new camera. I recommend that you don't go crazy buying lenses unless you find them dirt cheap. Lenses can be way more expensive than the camera body. You may not like Nikons, maybe you prefer Canons. So I suggest that you don't commit to the expense of more lenses until you're sure that you want to stick with Nikon. You probably have the 18-55 MM basic lens and that works just fine. My best advise is that you concentrate on learning how to use your DSLR properly. Learn to go beyond auto. Put time into learning about Aperture, shutter speeds, ISO, white balance, metering, etc. There are a lot of free tutorials online, and a gazillion books. Of course, you can always take some classes. Learn to work with software like Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, that's your digital darkroom. Once you know what you're doing, then go ahead and invest in other tools.

Think of it like this, when you are learning how to drive you don't need to take your classes in a Rolls Royce, you can learn to drive in a Toyota just as well.

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30

I know I'm late on writing on this post but I just purchased a Fujiflim S3280 point and shoot camera. Can anyone get me some pointers since I've only owned Cannon point and shoots and my mom and sister lost my camera in a Paris vacation. Thanks in advance ladies

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics