Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: 100 page scrapbook??        (Topic#1570983)
New Kid On the Block

Hello everyone! First I would like to say that I have learned so much just from reading the posts on this site! I have been scrapping for about 10 years but I had never even heard of some of the techniques talked about here! So thanks everyone!

So my question for the day is, is it at all possible to have just one scrapbook with about 100 pages??

I am the queen of over stuffed scrapbooks. My albums rarely close properly, lol. Right now I am working on my wedding album (just got married last August) and I would REALLY like to keep it all together in one book, but I am looking at about 100 pages!

I use anywhere from one to six pictures per page. None of my LOs are totally flat, but about half of them are relatively thin, with maybe some puffy stickers or chipboard, but many are loaded with flowers, wood and metal accents, etc.

Any ideas??

Thanks for any tips you may have!!

Erica

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mrs.dayton

Have you considered 3-ring albums instead of post-bound?

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap

I can't imagine how thick that would be. I have several d ring binders that are full of both "fat" and thin layouts and they are 4 inches thick...with just the regular 10 page protectors (so 20 layouts). I think you'd need to do a series of books. Or scrap your favorite photos and put the other photos in scrapbook inserts that hold several photos each. Some of mine have 15 page protectors and those albums don't close.
How about one of those Scrapracks...which are meant to hold embellies but you could fill it with layouts...however it is always open. But then you'd need a place where you could keep it..it takes up space.
Or a decorated box...a big box lol.
good luck and congrats on your marriage.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to dollscrap

I use D-ring albums, and usually overstuff them.

I just counted the pages in one album-- 27 page protectors (so 54 layouts -front and back).

I can't imagine an album holding 100 pages (or 50 protectors), even if they were very flat.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-23-12 01:22 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

Technically, as long as you can bind them somehow(using very extended posts, extra-long Chicago screws, ribbon binding, etc), you can have as many pages as you want in a single album. But I'd question why you'd want to - it would be heavy and hard to manage. Imagine sitting on the couch trying to look through your album, would you want that huge thing resting on your lap? A series of books with fewer pages would be so much easier to deal with, and I think they'd look neater than one huge fat book. There may be some creative way to do it, of course, I just can't picture what that might be.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Could you divide it up, like an album for rehearsal/prep/actual wedding/reception, etc.? My daughter is working on one from a Hawaii trip and she finally gave in to getting another album. It was getting too heavy and unmanageable.

Plus, if you have more books and more than one person who wants to see them, everyone doesn't have to try to crowd around one album. They can pass them around so everyone has fun looking at once. Congrats on your marriage!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to mrsdriver5

I would recommend splitting them up into at least two albums, but if you really want to get them into one album, I'd suggest going with a D-ring, I find them much more durable than post bound-especially when you're looking at so many pages.

I have seen very large post bound albums that had their spines reinforced with duct tape once all the pages were in and then the spines were painted or dressed up with pps and flowers to mask the tape. Not sure how well that would hold but it is something to consider.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to MrsAnnieS

My pages are fairly flat as I hardly use anything thicker than the depth of a single chipboard. Even then, I had to split my son's first year album (40 layouts total) into 2 albums. Granted, I'm not using D-Ring binders which appear to hold alot more than the traditional scrapbooks.

One thing to consider as already mentioned is if you can actually get all 100 layouts in a single album, it would be huge and hard to handle. My wedding album (before I got into scrapbooking) consists of only the most important pictures and is about 30 pages (flat, no embellishments). Even that I felt is big... just my honest opinion.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MrsAnnieS

I use the 3D ring and I have 18 books which all have 40-45 pages which is 80-90 pages. I like to get entire trips in each book!

They are heavy, we sit at the table and look at them but sometimes I've put them on my lap. But I like a trip in one book, although I've had trips that took 2 books for a total of about 160-180 pages.

However, I'm a flat scrapper - very few embellies thicker than a couple layers of cardstock. I have flowers on about 10 pages ever and they are not big - they are kind of flat.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, I was just about to post an identical post. I too have the D-Ring binders from M's, about 8 of them and they have around 45-59 flat pages, or 95-100 los. I've left most of my post albums thinner for easy handling. I think extending the with of post bound albums makes them unstable.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mother Goose

I used to use post book with extensions and I didn't like them at all - they just didn't feel stable.

I like the look of the pages in the post albums, but overall, I really prefer the 3 rings!

I know you told me where you are in Georgia but I've forgotten. Will be driving 75 from Florida to Georgia around March 14th or 15th.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Henri Jean

I know you'd like to keep them all together, but I agree with the others - 100 pages would be too much to handle comfortably. Even my official wedding photo (not scrapbook) album only had 80 photos in it, and that was big.

I split our wedding photos between the service/photos at the church, and the reception - 2 books. That worked for me. Good luck with your project!

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I like the 3-ring albums. They hold a lot. I alo like to out everything in one album. If I have the right album. If I don't then I split. But with a wedding album, I would keep it as one, though I do like the suggestion of splitting it up.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to scrappnmom2il

D ring (3 ring) albums are much better for high volume

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to scrappnmom2il

Oh I forgot to say, two books work better when you're showing them to people. Two people can look at the same time, rather than having to crane their necks over the same book. I'm remembering when my bridesmaid came to visit last year and she and her husband wanted to look at the photos again.

New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I should just wait and see how many pages I end up with.
I really don't want to split it up because I really want it to "tell a story", which is also kind of how our photographer shot the day.
I may have to give in and make 2. Or 5

Erica

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

I have a post bound album with extra long posts that has 104 LOs or 52 page protectors. They are ALL flat pages and the book is full. I can't imagine that any album would hold that number of LOS with any thickness to them. Good luck!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to rockmom

Congrats on your marriage. Wow! 200 layouts of your wedding, that's amazing! What an accomplishment to have it all done so quickly!

I agree that the 3 ring would probably be best, however, I can't help but think about the stress on the album over time. Not just the closures but also on the spine, front cover and back cover that will be supporting it up right on the shelf. I think you will be replacing albums sooner than you thought as the sides or binding start to loosen or weaken over time.

Just some food for thought......

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to jaxxan

I made an enormous album of my youngest kid a couple of years ago ... 100 pages

I am NOT a flat scrapper, and I split the album into 2 D-ring albums

I honestly can't imagine having so many pages in one book, and have never seen an album that could handle that many

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha

Don't try it with a post bound album!!! I actually thought that I would only have one book for each of my kids -HA- what a joke. I have gotten to 5years with my oldest daughter (probably 40-50 page protectors) and the posts actually ripped thru the chipboard holes. My hubby tried to fix my book and it doesn't look good at all, nor is it very stable and it is kind of awkward. My book has a custom homemade cover and everything and I am struggling with what to do with it now.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics