Username Post: Any Las Vegas scrappers?        (Topic#1570995)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

We will get to las Vegas on Monday, March 26th and my husband will be tied up in a license plate convention Tuesday, the 27th-noon Saturday, the 30th.

I usually just stay in the room a read and post on the boards, take a few online real estate courses but if anyone lives in that area and want to meet for lunch or shopping in the daytime - let me know!

We will be with 7 other family members for dinner in the evenings and maybe some shows but in the daytime I'm on my own.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Henri Jean

hmmmm...Vegas or New Orleans for my Spring Break trip... lol

I do wanna go to Vegas to go to the Viva Las Vegas Stamp store! lol

-kory

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to designguyKORY

Hey Kory!

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl

Henri Jean-you are sooo entertaining!

I got such a kick out of reading your Vegas post lol

My son lives in Vegas...moved out there 1 1/2 years ago. I haven't been there yet but now I have to go to check out the license plate collectors who eat bar-b-que sauce off a knife

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I don't like Vegas either and I have to go there all the time. I don't gamble, it bores me. Now the shows on the other hand....you can drop some serious money on tickets.

I am trying to picture a license plate convention. Is it in Vegas every year?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

Love the shows. When it is just Bill and me we go to time share presentations for free tickets. Takes a couple hours and a bit of pressure but we've gotten a lot of free Cirque de' Soleil tickets including the one at the Bellagio with the pool and water show.

Penn & Teller do an excellent show and they let military and retirees in for half price so we got in that one for $35 or $40 each last year.

There is a license plate convention in Las Vegas every year around St. Patricks Day. Collectors come in from all over the world.

One lady has a plate she is trying to sell - has been for years and wants $25,000 for it. She wears it on a cord around her neck so everyone can see it. There will be over a million plates easily in the exhibition hall for sale. Most are $10.00-$50.00 but they get in the hundreds pretty easily too. Lots of vanity plates and those are usually about $6.00 each.

You have to be a member of the club to get in the convention hall but we can sign people in as guests.

I think its a lot if I gamble $10.00 - which is about my limit becuase I like spending money more than gambling it.

I think we are going to see David Copperfield this time. It will just be us and Bill's daughter and her husband so it wasn't a big deal deciding on one.

I also want to see Menopause, The Musical and Bill will go with me but I don't think the others will be interested.

I have seen enough of Las Vegas to last a lifetime!

The members get laminated nametags which hang around your neck on a cord and have their names on it. The second year I went Bill had a surprise name tag made up for me (he had to pay for mine) which said "HENRI 2B DENHART". That is kind of how he proposed to me.

THen the next year my surprise nametage said, "HENRI ISA DENHART". That was cute.

A lot of people come in from Canada for this, some come in from Australia and we know other people who come in from all over the world to buy and sell license plates!

Bill will take about 15,000 plates for thier family table (they usually rent about 8 tables and take several display racks) to sell and hopes to buy a lot more.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-23-12 07:03 PM

We love Vegas! Don't gamble much, a little video poker, a few slots, but I get really bored with them pretty quickly. The people watching is fantastic, though, plus there's good shopping (although it's all the same shopping as in San Francisco so no big deal). And the food! So many great restaurants. And we usually see some sort of show.

Next time I do need to remember to hit up VLV, though! I've almost ordered from them a few times but I'd love to browse the store

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I love love love Cirque, it's amazing. I saw Starlight Express when it was still there at the Hilton, that was amazing.

The nickle machine is my speed.

15,000! Unreal, I had no idea.

I can't imagine what the $25,000 tag is.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Seems the $25,000 tagis one from Alaska - very old. The woman's late husband was a collector and left it to her. She comes down a bit every year but no one is spending that much on a single plate right now.

Yes, we take about 15,000 and he has nearly that many in storage in Las Vegas that will end up on his tables again. We take a 2 ton van full and this year we are also pulling a big trailer full of plates because he has an order of around 8,000 to drop off at one of his customers in Las Vegas.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Oh whoa, CrimsonMa- when I was a lots younger, back in the late 80s, I had the recording of the original Starlight Express- the original London cast. I loved that show. lol. I used to put on my rollerblades and pretend to be in the show and sing along with the recording. Sometimes, I will dig out the CD of it and play it...

I saw the tour in....1989, I think, when it came thru OKC.

Memories!

-kory

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Henri! I had so much fun at the Cirque shows- I went, once, with a friend of mine who is a theatre critic. I got to watch a rehearsal for 'O' inside the theatre, during the day, with one of the creators- and see the show that night. Then we went to Chicago, with Chita Rivera, and after the show, I was backstage with all kinds of old theatre people- Chita, Jerry Orbach, Ben Vereen- I was out of it. So much fun.

The last time I went to Vegas, I had just flown back from Australia- flew from Melbourne to LA to Vegas and met one of my friends from OKC at the airport. We got picked up by a cop, as we were in middle of a downtown street- singing or dancing or both- and he lead us, by the collars, to a diner and sat us down at a table and told us to eat.

-kory

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady

well i live here in vegas if you are borad. there only one scrapbook store that open out here in vegas that i know of. just pm me if you want to hang out

scrapbooksusie
Guru
scrapbooksusie
In response to southern lady

This has been an entertaining thread to read! I have only been to Vegas once and LOVED it!!!! Can't wait to return! Hope you find something to do and I'd love to know more about the Viva stamp store and the one scrappy store!

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Mayor
KVRLVN
In response to scrapbooksusie

We used to go to Vegas once or twice a year, but it did get old and quite expensive. I love the shows and we only gamble a little. We found many of the restauratns overpriced and just plain bad. I miss the the old 80's deasl on food and buffets. We usually go in January and bet on the football playoff games. Our last trip I won $800.

My mom and her husband are going in April for the Country Music Awards. She asked us to go along, but we decided not to. They are supposed to be tearing down the Imperial Palace hotel and building a boardwalk. If they ever get that done, we might go and check it out.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to KVRLVN

I'm not even gonna try to tell you all that I'm as respectable as all y'all! I gamble like a madman. And I'll play anything. Even roulette, where you're guaranteed to lose. I love VEGAS! lol

I miss the days when it was 150.00 for air and three nights hotel... awwww, late 90s, where are you...

I really miss my days in travel, when I could get three nights at a hotel for free, and fly the 'flying trailer park' for 49.00.

Anybody remember the 'Flying Trailer Park?' Maybe that's just what we called it in OKC, I don't know- it was a charter flight thing, and was so so cheap. And it attracted all the funnerest characters in town. We'd even gamble on the flight there, by writing our seat numbers on dollar bills and talking the flight attendant into drawing a winner- in between their trips up and down the aisles to sell t-shirts, of course.

Those were the days!

-kory

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to designguyKORY

Oh Kory - everyone tells me to write a book but your are the one who should be writing it! You have so many awesome memories!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Kory - the strangest airline we ever flew on was Ryan air between Barcelona and Frankfurt 2 years ago.

THe announcement comes on, sounding much like the captain, saying, "The flight attendants will now be coming down the isle to pass out menus and take your orders for lunch." The were all very expensive tv-type dinners!

Later he says, "The flight attendants will now be coming down the isle with cigarettes. Please purchase them but remember, you cannot smoke them on the plane. You will have to wait until you depart."

Then his last announcement, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the flight attendents will now be coming down the isle to sell you your lottery tickets. To win you must scratch the numbers and give the winning tickets to your flight attendant before we land in order to receive your payments when you win."

They were selling lottery tickets on the plane! I'm surprised they weren't modeling shoes and longerie and trying to sell it. This was very weird to us!

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady

well just to tell you i work monday and tuesday and i won't get off untill 2 p,m if you want i can give you my cell phone number

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to southern lady

Please pm it to me and then I will have it.

I have a "travel drawer" in my dresser where I put things I will need for a trip - not things that are on my trip checkoff list so I don't forget and I need to put your number there so it will go to Las Vegas with me!

We plan to spend the weekend of the 17th in Atlanta and leave Monday morning to go to Las Vegas so that will put us there around Thursday or Friday. That is always pretty much the routine.

Resident

One of my favorite Scrapbook.com scrappers is, or at least used to be, from Las Vegas. I have scraplifted a lot of her very creative ideas.

Maybe you can pm her and see if she's interested in meeting up. Her profile name is: Robinzberdz.

Rae_M
Rae_M 
Diva
Rae_M
  • Rae_M on 02-24-12 04:45 PM
In response to oilbrat

I just moved from Vegas after living there for almost 10 years. If you have access to a car, go to Scrappy-Do in Henderson. It's about 30 minutes from downtown, but it's worth the drive. It's a small store, but it's crammed full of goodies. If you call, ask if you can just come and scrap. People do that a lot there. I used to teach classes there, and the ladies are very nice!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to oilbrat

Thanks - will send her an email. Okay if I tell her you suggested I pm her?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I know Henderson Well! They used to have the license plate meets in Henderson - at the Fiesta. Last time I stayed at the Fiesta it was totally gross. Needed rennovation big time.

Rae_M
Rae_M 
Diva
Rae_M
  • Rae_M on 02-25-12 06:26 AM

It's completely remodeled and very nice!

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to Rae_M

my husban parents live close to that casion.

Resident

• Henri Jean Said:
Thanks - will send her an email. Okay if I tell her you suggested I pm her?

So sorry for the late response---hectic week and not much opportunity to check the Scrapbook.com forums. I have no problem with you saying I suggested her. She is one of 4 or 5 contributors whose galleries I check out at least once a week to see if they've added anything new. Her layouts are always unique. Wish I had her talent.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to oilbrat

I just realized - we leave in 2 weeks! I'm not ready to run again. Now he is desperately trying to find an April cruise for when we get home. Something for 4-6 weeks with a lot of ports we haven't been too. We are finding great cruises and great prices but we have been to all the ports already.

Last night he searched cruises for about 3 hours. He talked to representitives at Princess and Royal Caribbean trying to piece one together going from one ship to another in Dubai. Just haven't found the right one this time.

Resident

• Henri Jean Said:
I just realized - we leave in 2 weeks! I'm not ready to run again. Now he is desperately trying to find an April cruise for when we get home. Something for 4-6 weeks with a lot of ports we haven't been too.

I know you've been just about everywhere. Have you and your husband done any of the French Polynesian cruises? I've been several times and loved it. Took my godchildren the last time and they had a ball.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics