Username Post: Scrapbook Expo Budget        (Topic#1571035)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

I'm going to the Scrapbook Expo in Anaheim this coming Sunday - I've been before and usually try to limit my spendings because there will always be something new later, etc...

BUT... Lately my LSS doesn't seem to carry as much as they used to, or they just don't have too many new items. So I plan on spending more at the Expo this year. Just out of curiosity, for those that have gone to the expo, do you have a budget or do you buy as you see fit?

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Mama2Thomas

I have gone to the CK expo and the Great American Scrapbook. When I went to GAS, I had a budget. I took cash and when my cash was gone, I was done. When I went to CKC, I was a bit more crazy with my money. The problem was I didn't pay attention and when I got the statement later, well...OUCH! LOL. If I go to another one, I'm planning to stick to a budget. One, it doesn't hurt my wallet as much and two, it makes me more cognizant of what I am buying. I don't just go crazy and buy everything, because I have a budget and can't do so on that budget, KWIM? So, it keeps me from making so many frivilous purchases of things I won't ever use.

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to siameseplease

when i went to the one your going to. i didn't really have a budget. i usually bought stuff i need or i though was good. i love the dollar areas.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to southern lady

I've not been to that particular expo, but I go to something similar every year. I generally set myself a large budget that I bring in cash. But I also have a budget in my checking for non scrappy things like food.

FreeYourFears
Tenant
FreeYourFears
In response to MrsAnnieS

I always stick to a budget. The best way is to do what Simameseplease said, take the cash you want to spend and once it is gone, it's gone. This way you don't have to keep track of how much you spend throughout the day. Personally, I wouldn't go shopping anywhere without a budget (but you're talking to a quantitative finance/math double major here lol). Have fun!!!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-24-12 01:48 PM
In response to MrsAnnieS

It can help to make a list of things you plan to buy, and things you want to look at and might or might not buy, and estimate an appropriate budget from this (adding on some fudge room for extra goodies you haven't thought about yet). I like to bring cash and use mostly that (it's often easier for the vendors, too), but I also have my cards and don't mind using them. I usually plan on spending up to a hundred dollars or so (or more if I'm after more expensive things like dies). Sometimes I've spent a little more, sometimes I've spent less. This is actually just a random number that I'm comfortable with, I could spend more if I really wanted to but I rarely feel the need.

The thing about shows like this is that it's so easy to get caught up in a buying frenzy. And of course while you can get some good deals, many things are sold at or close to retail value. Know what you truly want and don't get sucked in to stuff that you won't use.

Have fun! I won't be able to attend one until August.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to stick

I carry $30 in cash when I go to the Expo. It's faster and easier than using a credit card and keeps me from overspending. I only buy bargains and what I can't get elsewhere.

Cindy

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to cindy312

I thought real hard about going to Anaheim tomorrow but with the gas, parking fee and entrance fee, I figured I could take that $50 and spend it at my local LSS. She is always up-to-date on everything.

eadyscraps
Resident
eadyscraps

I've gone to the Expo a couple of times-- I feel like an alcoholic walking in to a bar. I lose all sense of reality and just spend. What I have learned to do is scrap fast the month before and, if I really have gone crazy, I will also not buy anything the following month. Of course, sometimes knowing I won't be buying anything for another month, makes me spend even more!
I just tell myself: I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs AND it's cheaper than therapy!

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to eadyscraps

I usually take between $50 & $100 to spend at the CK Expo in Portland. I never have problems spending it.

A lot of the LSS have closed in our area, so I love seeing all the new things in person

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to momtokatie

I agree with Prittb. The cost of gas here is outrageous and it would have cost me $50 also. Unfortunately I have to work and can't go BUT I was going to budget $200. Since I don't have a LSS except for Mike's this was my chance to really splurge.

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 02-24-12 08:22 PM
In response to theellenbee

I'm with Ellen. No LSS for me, either...Just Ms, ACM and Js. The first year I went, I only had about $70 and spent it all. Last year, I had much more money and didn't spend much more than $70. Unfortunately, much of my must-haves are still sitting untouched.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to PDRNC

I'm bad. I just buy what I want when I go to an expo. I don't buy expensive items though - just tons of paper. So it could be worse! I did buy 3 sample-sized sets of Twinkling H2O's last time and everything else was papers.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Henri Jean

there's definitely something to be said for being able to see/touch it all in person. between the closest LSS's closing and the fact that I don't drive, I rarely get to go shopping in person. though today a friend asked me if I wanted to go to one of our favorite stores, so I'm going to meet up with her and go! woohooo

as for budget, I pretty much buy what I want when I go to an event like that, though I've never spent more than $100 and I'm not sure I've even spent that much.

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to Tina scraps

we don't have much scrapbook store here now seen they all close the olny ones that are close to me is j and m .

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to southern lady

Oh the expos are dangerous and no it definitely does not mean one is getting a deal. I even find that between certain cities in the same area the prices at the same company can be different.

Some charge $5 for a "make and take" too which can add up if you want to learn some new techniques.

Along with the great advice on budget and list, I would add to know your prices and if you LSS carries it. I would rather support my LSS if the price is the same.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to jaxxan

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I went yesterday and took your advice and set a cash budget of $100 - once that was gone, that was it- no credit cards.

I also spent 1 hour walking through the entire expo just scoping out all the goods. Sat down had lunch, then went back through the expo making my purchases - starting with "must haves" to "nice to haves" and then bargain hunting.

Overall it was a good day - I was even under my budget. However I was not so happy spending all that money on gas, parking and admission. Oh well, I figure it's sort of like going out of town to visit a frient, where you have to gas up and spend money for lunch, etc

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb

Glad you had a good day.

It was hard for me to pass up the expo but I got to thinking about the gas, parking, and admission fee and now that we are retired, I figured that $50 could be spent on scrap stuff.

inspiredbyTwo
New Kid On the Block
inspiredbyTwo
In response to prittb

I think I spend around $100 each time when I go to the one that comes here in July.

This year,I am going to try to save up a bit more and have a bit bigger budget this year.

Its always something that my daugther and I attend together. This year,my son will have to stay with his dad or grandpa. Dont think I can handle taking them both.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to inspiredbyTwo

My sis and I go to the Pleasanton (march) and Santa Clara (aug) expos each year.
I always bring and spend at least $100...which is the amount of cash I bring. It costs almost 10 bucks to park at Pleasanton (fairgrounds) and free at Santa Clara convention center. Plus we buy lunch there. This all comes out of that $100.
I bring the credit card for when I run out of cash. I know what I want to look for but other than that we just wander around all day enjoying ourselves til we get tired and or bored then off we go. When we first arrive we usually try to go up and down each aisle to see what is there before we start actually buying...this does not always work...lol.
Note to first timers...I brought my very frugal neighbor with us once and she brought only $50.....afterwards she was very sorry she hadn't brought more just in case and said she would bring more next time.
Hats off to those who bring a budget and stick to it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics