Username Post: Looking for scrapbooking table        (Topic#1571345)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

Any idea where I can get a reasonably priced, yet functional table for scrapbooking? I'm currently scrapping on the dining room table, but that's getting old after 5+ years. I don't have a scrapbooking room (yet), but I do have a small corner in my bedroom. Envisioning and hoping that one day I will have a room dedicated just to scrapbooking, I'm making a leap and getting another table. Is white a safe choice? Eventually I want the furniture, shelvings, storage etc in my scrapbooking room to look coordinated. I'm thinking of checking out IKEA this weekend... anywhere else I should look? TIA!

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to Mama2Thomas

Well, if you're going to IKEA... I have two 'vika artur' desks. Luv em. The legs are trestle style and you can adjust them so that the table top is on an angle like a drafting table. It has one shelf on the bottom of each leg that can hold a bankers box. It comes in three pieces. You buy the table top separately and the legs separately. And there's a few colour options. There are also three sizes of table tops to choose from. I bought the most recent set (2 legs and top) for $98. Have fun looking - keep a smile M.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-01-12 02:47 PM

I think for craft room furniture you can't go wrong with Ikea and I wouldn't look anywhere else. It's not worth spending money on good pieces knowing that at some point you're going to damage it with paint, an exacto knife, etc. Or at least I would, lol.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to stick

Craigslist!!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Bxr-Linda

WM.com

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-5-Center-Fol d-Table/132...

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to ScrappyMama6

Another vote for idea, they have a great collection of mix and match table tops and legs, you can get cabinets, trestle, regular legs, shelves etc and they are very reasonably priced. But if you don't have an ikea near you I'd say craigslist or even freecycle.org

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to MrsAnnieS

The folding tables that Teresa linked are great...

Some things to think about:

They ARE flexible (no hammering eyelets on them), they can melt (no heat embossing directly on the table).

But... they do fold up and store away, so that may be a good option.

I have a 6 foot table that the legs fold up. It's the hard top, metal legs (banquet/office). Very sturdy. Also VERY heavy. It's tough to carry it by myself.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

I use an 8' banquet table in my scraproom becuase I like the large workspace.

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 03-01-12 05:00 PM
In response to Henri Jean

ikea has reasonably priced tables. forget how much i paid for mine maybe $40. check out my gallery for a pic.

meowgal
Pro
meowgal
In response to timon

I have both the ikea type for a permanent set up and the folding ones for taking to retreats/crops. (both a 4 foot folding one and the 5 foot!). I would not want to ALWAYS crop on the folding tables, for all the reasons stated above. They just do not feel sturdy enough and there is some give. I like the white melamine type from Ikea...I used the desktop from Ikea and attached it to two small bookcases for support rather than legs (giving me storage on both ends!). It is also a TINY bit higher than the legs would have had it. This came out a bit like the project tables from PB (a very cheap version!). Love it.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to meowgal

I have a 6' banquet table and a desk. One shelf that is on my table. I love using the banquet table, but with no other shelves, it is overloaded. I heard the Ikea tables are good. And reasonably priced. I may also have to check those out.

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to meowgal

If you or your husband (or someone you know) is handy at all, you might consider building one (now or in the future when you have more room). I have a site that I can message you about if you're interested. She posts plans for all kinds of different things. I have a craft table on my "to-do list" from her site. I'm hoping my husband can help me finish it this summer while I'm off.

ETA: The esitmated cost for the materials for the craft table I want to build is between $20 and $50.

Edited by MrsD2008 on 03-07-12 08:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to MrsD2008

I got this table on craigslist DIRT CHEAP! Even though I had to rent a small van for $19 to get it home it still was DIRT CHEAP! This table was a from a commercial showroom and was used to display clothing.

Now the cool things about it are; it came with a piece of glass on the top, notice it has no drawers, and it is not as deep as a normal table. I find all of these features to be just perfect for scrapbooking.

My Scraproom By Gelidy Gelato

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30

I don't have a dedicated space for my scrap stuff but a nice corner on my DS bedroom. Went to Kmart and got one of those 34" folding table and so far so good. Sturdy hardboard made out of vinyl and for the price, even better (ended up paying $15 because of points on the Kmart rewards). Eventually as my supplies grow even more I know I'm going to have to invest in something bigger and better. As stated above, Craigslist is a great place to look and you can always refinish it. You can make wonders with a little coat of paint and some new and inexpensive hardware.

Here is the one that I got. They also carry it in black for a little more $$: Link

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to GIGIGI30

Another vote for Ikea!! I use farmhouse style tables I got at when Gottschalk's was going out of business--they are awesome. But most of my other storage is from Ikea. hth

lovinlife
Resident
lovinlife
In response to Jennifer Priest

Have you tried Freecycle.org? You can put a post on there requesting a table and you may get one- for free!
Thrift stores and yard sales are another good place to look.

live-love-scrap.blogspot.com

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to lovinlife

Yard and Garage sales are coming soon in Illinois. Will have to check them out even more this season. Maybe I'll get some much needed shelves.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to scrappnmom2il

another IKEA fan here ... I have the Expedit desk and shelves and I love the set-up

Scrap Princess72010
Expert
Scrap Princess72010
In response to madmatter

I got my desk from GoodWill its in great shape and I paid 15.00 for it!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to Scrap Princess72010

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I saw a pretty nice table at IKEA for $40 and also planning on getting the Expedit shelf for $70 - I was going to purchase but my car is too small. Will have to wait until this weekend to borrow my mom's mini van. Will post pics as soon as I get hubby to put everything together.

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper

I bought a fold-up 4 x 8 table at Wal-mart to take to crops. They also have them at any of the office supply stores. That would be easy for you to store when you're not scrapping.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics