Username Post: Table height        (Topic#1571367)
leslief
Idol
leslief

My son put my Ikea table together a year ago. It took him so long -- so even though I knew it was too high, I didn't say anything. Now after scrapbooking on my lap for the past year, I'm going to ask him to lower it.
So, my question is: what is the best height? How many inches from the ground do you prefer yours to be?

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to leslief

28" is the norm... That is what our desk upstairs is, but it could depend on your height too... (I like to stand so my new desk is 36 3/4" - over 1" above counter height- because I am tall and when I get my drafting chair for occasional sitting, I will adjust it accordingly.)

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-01-12 06:36 PM
In response to Rushli

It's partly a personal decision. I'm 6' tall and I mostly like to stand when I scrap so mine is about 36" and it's a little short at times, 38" would be better. Standard dining tables are 28"-30", but you may want it a little lower or a little higher depending on your height and the chair you use. You want enough leg room to be comfortable of course, you don't want to have to raise your arms too high, and you want a comfortable level to look down on without having to slouch. An adjustable chair is so helpful, too, when you're working on different techniques.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to stick

I think it really is a personal preference, I like to sit higher so mine is around 32" but the average is around 29" to fit a standard chair

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MrsAnnieS

I scrap at a standard folding 8' banquet table andthe height is perfect for me. If the table was higher I'm raise my chair and if it was lower I'd lower my chair.

I stand a lot too but I'm not tall so this is perfect for me.

Expert
In response to MrsAnnieS

I have a pub height table..and I love it. I am 5 foot 7 inches, and it really helps my back. Regular height tables make me hunch over..and by the time I'm done, my back is a mess.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to deedee49

i have a folding table that's about 28" high

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to Just G

I also have a standard folding banquet table and it suits me just fine.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to scrappnmom2il

It also depends on the height of the chair. My mom and I used to work at a very high table, and we sat on kitchen barstools.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to leslief

I have two desks end to end in my office, 30 inches high. I'm 5' 7".

My DH got me a bench stool that the height can easily be adjusted. It's the same as one he uses to play guitar. It was around $30. Might be easier than changing the table.

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to leslief

Thanks everyone! I'm going with 28 inches. Never dawned on me to just sit at my dining room table and see how that works!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics