Username Post: PayDay-Friday!        (Topic#1571397)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bayamonesa1

I used to love to shop at Hancocks. WIsh we had one here. When I was in real estate in Georgia I found a wonderful seastress (I can't thread a needle) who made lightweight dressy jackets which were fully lined - about 12 of them to go with my work slacks. She made some cute holiday theme jackets for me with pumkins and one black jacket with spider webs all over it for Halloween. Just did beautiful work.

I found a woman here to make my Halloween dress and two others for a cruise and I am not happy with her work at all. I would love to find another seamstress but I really don't need jackets or things anymore. Most of the clothes I want now are fun clothes for holidays.

So cool that you can make your Halloween costume Tanya. The most creative and original costumes are always ones that are homemade. Can't wait to see the photos of your costumes you are working on!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Taking a break from scrapping.

I'm working on Key West layout about Robert, the Haunted Doll. Lots of typed journaling because I just finished researching and writing out the entire story of Robert. I hadn't planned for it to be 3 pages, but it is.

May get into some spookie embellies but I really don't want to take away from the story line and photos so I don't know.

It starts on the left side so I may do two pages of story and generic ghost tour pictures and then when you turn the page show a picture of Robert and the words, "You'd better be nice to Robert."

The page on the right side from that will be a page on a restaurant in Key West - totally unrelated so I really have to work through this to make it fall right.

Hope to finish it in the next few hours becuase journaling is all done.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

can't wait to see your Robert layout Henri!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Ladybing Tammy

I decided to move my page on some of the Key West restaruants in front of the Robert layout, since the restaurant stuff isn't dated - they are just places we ate.

Then across from that is a page on the ghost tour with the brochure and its kind of cutesy.

Then when you turn the page, the two page Robert layout is together.

Finished the Robert layout and the Ghost tour layout. The journaling just needs to be proofed one more time and printed and paper picked out.

The story of Robert really is creepy.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Sorry to hear you're sick, Manda! I hope you get to feeling better fast!

I just had a lunchtime shopping spree at the Basket Market with Holly and JayJay- they picked me up at work and we ran over to see what damage we could do... I'm afraid the BM employees (except for my favorite friendly cashier lady) cringe to see me 'n Holly crash thru the door- they're like, oh great- there goes the peace and quiet. Today, I just really noticed how Holly and I have no problems whatsoever with shouting at each other across aisles and/or the room. We get pretty loud and in a 'rush' with it being 'lunch hour' (that's putting it at a rough estimate- it usually turns into LUNCH 90MINUTES, depending on what we're finding).

ANYWAYS- they had a brand new Sizzix e-Clips machine that was really tempting me- only 160.00! But then I used my brain, realized I really don't even use my Cricut all that much and the only reason I'm wanting the eClips is for the Tim Holtz cartridges but THEN I'd have to buy ALL the stamps (I really only have the 'ghettoHOLTZ' stamp sets- the slightly smaller packs you can find at Ms or da HobLobs AND USE A COUPON). Believe it or not, I'm not made of money and want to pay 25.00 or so for those classy Stampers Anonymous sets! As much as I want them... lol I love stamps- but I don't use them SO much (or so well or so often) to justify buying expenisive 'nice' sets- if I find them for a couple bucks at Basket Market or clearance aisles or Tuesday Mornings, I snatch them up- but rarely buy the full size sets. Even as much as I love how they come mounted on those nifty plastic boards that fit in nice binders...

And I say I dont buy much in stamps- but I seem to have over a thousand of them.

ANYWAYS- It was a day for PAPER at the Basket Market! I stocked up for COLD FRONT SUPER SCRAP SATURDAY! They had LOTS and I mean LOTS of NAME BRAND PAPERS- I bought a ton of STUDIO CALICO (!!), Heidi Swapp, Prima, Crate, American Crafts, Authentique- all for a QUARTER a page. Yeah! Instead of fitty cents a page! My favorite friendly cashier lady sold them ALL to me for a quarter, 'since they're not marked.' I love her. She's my best friend.

I also found some great 6X6 pads- the new Kaisercraft Sears and Sons, the new Studio Calico HEYDAY...

what a day!

-kory k

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to designguyKORY

Great scrores Kory! I love paper - may have to get to my Tuesday Morning although it is not near me. I only go when someone here talks about the great things they found - the only time I venture to that side of town.

Mine doens't seem to have as much good scrap stuff though. Wish we had a Basket Market - that one really sounds good.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-04-12 11:32 AM

I wish we had a store like that here too. My LSS just got some paper in that I had been wanting- Prima Craftsman- but they didn't have all the papers (I think they were missing 2 of them). And of course they are about a buck each.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

LOL!! I was just at Basket Market yesterday, KK, and was disappointed in only finding 3 things, all for $1. There was a line at the register, so I just put it all back and left without buying a thing! It's so funny how people have completely different tastes!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

oh Kory that sounds like a great lunchtime!

I won't be using paper for awhile or doing anthing fiddly - I stabbed myself quite badly - I am alone until the Knightly One gets home from working overtime - normally this much blood would have had me on the floor. I have discovered we need to stock a decent first aid kit cause I am sittin here with my hand wrapped in gauze and packing tape from the post office.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-04-12 11:41 AM

Oh no Tammy!!! What happened? Are you quite sure you don't need to be getting yourself to the hospital?

I just ordered some replenishment first aid supplies yesterday. We are preparing for the zombie apocalypse so we have quite a lot ready to go, but some of those things do expire especially in the garage in the Texas heat so I ordered restocks.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Vae

oh my gosh you made me laugh - no I shall be fine - I am able to stand without feeling woozy and my heart has stopped pounding and the dh will be home in about 5 more mins so if I get worse he can take me

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Tanya! We need to meet up at BM for a lunchtime funtime pretty soon. It IS funny how we have such different taste- me n Holly have kinda similar taste, and it can get violent then turn to begging pleading or 'bargaining' when we both see something the other likes. She has a REALLY fast eye, tho- (even faster than my famous spot a paper across a room eye)-

Today, she accused me of getting in her 'area' at Basket Market! So, if Holly is in front of a pile of paper, ALL of that is considered HERS, until she officially PASSES- just so ya know...

lol

k

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-04-12 12:16 PM
In response to designguyKORY

Glad you are okay Tammy. I hope it heals quickly so you can get back to being crafty

I am going on a self-imposed spending hiatus. Normally I am really good about not buying things until I am actually working on a LO that needs them. But then this summer I kinda went a little crazy and my amount of scrappy stuff has literally quadrupled. That in itself is not a big deal, except that we are in a one bedroom apartment and I have taken over our entire living room. When I am working on something, I really tend to spread out and cover all flat surfaces with my scrapcrap. So right now I have 4 folding tables, our coffee table, my desk, the bar, and one of the kitchen counters covered in stuff.

But that's not the real reason why. The real reason is that our realtor emailed us yesterday and said she found a house that she thinks we will like. We clicked the link, and it was one of the ones we had already planned to ask her about. Which means a dedicated scraproom for me But then we went to look at how much we need for a down payment and somebody (me) hasn't been holding up to her end of the bargain and saving up cash. And apparently the bank doesn't take really super awesome scrapbook pages as payment. So I need to buckle down.

So now ever time I am tempted to buy something (and there have been LOTS of temptations), I just keep thinking I'm spending the money on a whole room instead. This is gonna be pretty hard for me, but I should theoretically have plenty in my stash to keep me going for quite some time.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

Tammy - I hope your husband is home by now! I don't do well with blood either. Can't believe you stabbed yourself! Since you can't scrap it must be on your hand. If your husband thinks you need stitches - go get them!

Jarvae - so exciting about saving for a house! And having a scrap room!

I have to quit buying patterned papers becuase I've run out of room for it all and have to quit buying tools because I'm not really using many of them. I plan to and then I don't.

I finished the Rober the Haunted doll Layout - its is one of the plainest layouts I've ever done. So much journaling to tell the story of the haunted doll that the first page doens't have a spare inch for an embellie.

The second page focuses ont he picture and I haven't found any embellies I like with it. I am going to a crop on Saturday and I may look for some little embellies later. Right now, I just don't have any idea how to make this nice without making it look cartoony or silly.

Actually a knife and a few things like that would work. I'm putting this one aside as complete but later when I look at the different stores at embellishments I'll find some things to dress it up.

May also print the journaling out on different paper - this isn't looking the way I want it to. Bill has my car so I can't run to the store but will be in a crop in a scrapbook store on Saturday.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

Jarvae, you totally crack me up. Zombie apocolypse. My step grand son is SOO into that. He loves that HBO zombie show and he has been talking about the apocolypse for a long time. There's a zombie sign on pinterest that I need to order for him.
Oh, and I'm a banker, I'd definitely give preferential treatment to anyone who scrapbooks. They should count as your deposit. LOL.

Tammy, sorry your wounded. Get stitches, they make things heal faster and then you can be back to crafting in no time.

I have my scrap room clean (and the housekeeper came today) so it is especially clean. I need to go play, but it is so nice outside.

Have to tell you a new toy I've been using and just love. The prima craft knife. I've had it in my drawer for a while now thinking its a new craft knife, but I really like it now at I'm using it. Mostly it comes with different types of blades, so you can cut better. And the balance on the thing (holding it wise) is really good. I have trouble with my hands, so a regular exacto is a no go. It has to feel right in my hands. You'd have to play with it and use the different blades to notice the big differences, but If you need one, this one is awesome!

Products Referenced in This Post:

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Vae

Oh no Tammy, hope it isn't too serious.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to tanyaham

Ms Tanya, you're very welcome, you know I'm a big sucker for pups, especially poor babies that need good mommies and daddies. I've had 3 dogs that were rescues and they were all such good babies.
And on to another topic, you are just far too busy on the weekends! You need to set some priorities so you can come play with me and Korybean at MHF, lol!
Okay, KK, the lovely Ms Tanya is out this month for Demo Day, now we need to work on Sheryl and see if we can talk her into joining us!
I'm very sad this evening. One of my coworkers who is very ill (one of the ones I made a card for over the weekend) was at home under hospice care but early this week she was having such trouble breathing that they took her into the hospital. She is still there, and will probably not be going home. Anyway, I went to visit her after work today, and even though logically I knew how critical she was, seeing her in person really kicked me in the gut and broke my heart. She is such a precious person, I've never seen her without a smile on her face and a kind word to say, and to see her so ill and know that her time on earth is nearing the end was almost more than I could handle. Once I got to my car, I just lost it and couldn't keep from thinking what a whiner I was when my surgery was nothing compared to what she has gone through. She has been so brave and has never complained, and when she does leave this world, there will be a void that nothing will fill.
Sorry to be a downer, but y'all are all such good listeners and compassionate people, I know I can depend on y'all to understand and say a prayer or send out good thoughts for my dear friend.
Okay, on that note, I have lots to pray for tonight and it's already getting hard to keep my eyes open, so I'm heading to bed. I hope everyone is doing well, that you've all had a good week, and that you all have fun plans for the weekend. Also hope everyone else will be enjoying a holiday Monday like me!
Later, y'all!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to chocolateaxel

I'm so sorry about your friend Darla. How difficult to see someone you are close to go through such an ordeal. Just such a shame.

We understand and are here when you need to talk.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to chocolateaxel

So sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers to her and her family. I watched my brother and my mother lie there till the end and it is very hard. You feel totally helpless. You just have to remember that the suffering is ending and that things will soon be better for them.

Sometimes I have a hard time not feeling sorry for myself, because I'm always facing another surgery or something (as I lay here on a heating pack after taking pain meds) but then I remember there are lots of people who would give anything to be in my shoes. So then I just force myself to shake it off, chin up and go on with life. But we are allowed our pity parties every now and then!

Oh and just so you know, the pain tonight. Self induced. I planted mums and pansies this evening. I am not supposed to do that at all, but well, that's part of the go on with life part. And I will like seeing the pretty flowers. It's all good! Until I stand up by the hot grill cooking hot dogs outside at work for 4 hours tomorrow. Another self induced thing, but that's another story.

I will not be at demo day this month. I'm flying back from Tampa with my BFF that day. If we get back on time, may stop at Affair of the Heart, just because we always go. Sorry!

I'm hoping to get my SIL quilt finished this weekend and make some cards for coworkers. I give them when they are sad, or doing really well at work or been working hard on charity events. Just so they know someone notices, and cares. May be kind of silly, but I think they do appreciate them. Most of them leave them out on their desks for quite a while.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-04-12 08:02 PM
In response to SherylEb

Darla I'm so sorry to hear about your coworker. I'm sending Lots of positive thoughts your way. At least you got to go for a visit. I think it's always harder losing someone suddenly without any chance to process or say what you might want to say.

But you are not a whiner! There is always someone somewhere who is worse off than we are. Yes, it's good to think of others and try to stay positive, but like Sheryl said, we are all allowed to also have our own "moments". Just because other people have it worse does not make what we are going through any less important.

And on that note, Tammy, how ya feelin hun?

And Sheryl, I'm sorry you're in pain too, self induced or not. Hopefully tomorrow isn't too bad.

Henri, Love the halloween pics from earlier! On your Robert layout, since I don't know what all is involved it's hard to really think of anything concrete, but if you have Ornamental Iron cart maybe you could do some iron gate type embellies... very simple and don't overwhelm the page but they can be made to look kind of creepy. Also, I think it sounds like a perfect layout to try some of the inking you've been wanting to try. I know you were going to look up some videos on youtube. Maybe you can still keep it simple but give it just a bit of distressing to help dress it up?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics