Username Post: PayDay-Friday!        (Topic#1571397)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Grammy24

Hi Airedale - I have a lot of the twinklin H2O's - I love them but I've never used them. I bought a lot of the special paper for them too. Going to have to try them - So much I would really love to do with them. Can't wait to see how you use yours!

Grammy - so glad Lucas is doing well. Babies grow out of so many things - often it just takes a little time. Our granddaughter is 15 months and was born with a little hole in her heart which has self-corrected. I had no idea of this - no one told me. They mentioned after her one year check-up that her heart was almost healed. Say what? Well, I guess if they had told me I would have just worried.

Tammy you should be okay if you eat early enough. How long will you be in the hospital?

So good to see you Judy - have missed you! I have never done brothel layouts in my life and then we went into 3 in a row! One I've scrapped. There is so much interesting history and information, especially with the first and last one. The "average" night was 40 men and they worked 3 weeks on and 1 week off. Each man got 8 minutes for $15.00 but could pay for more time. They even used kitchen timers - a maid would knock on the girl's door when the 8 minutes was up. The guy had to leave immediately or pay more money.

Since most of the men were miners or fisherman or loggers and wore big heavy lace-up boots they didn't want to take them off and on and waste the time they were paying for. So in the hall was a closet of small fake fur rugs. They would grab a rug when they went into the bedroom and put it over the blanket so they could leave their boots on. I thought that was very weird.

We had a ball touring the brothels but I really did a lot of journaling on all of them about the life and story of the madam and some of the house policies. Like the one in Wallace, Idaho.

The girls could not go out in public - not to the store, not anywhere. They were in the house for 3 weeks and then for their week off they had to leave town for a week. The madam did not want them to accidently run in to a customer around town or even in the saloons and did not ever want a situation where one of the girls accidently ran into one of their customers when he was with his wife and children. So all groceries were sent in and if they had restaurant food it was delivered. The girls never set foot outside except on their week off when they quickly got out of town.

Anyway, hope to finish those pages by the end of next week and then onto to Hawaii again.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Henri Jean

Tammy good luck with surgery tomorrow. Prayers to you. Keep us posted.

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24

Oh my...how interesting about the brothels, what got you started? Babies are so resilient, Lucas has a permanent feeding tube and the little toot pulled it out yesterday. Emily tries to bottle feed him every other feeding. so @ night she just lets him sleep and put it through the tube. When she got up he had pulled it out. It goes in a "buttonhole" but he still should have not been able to get to it. Makes me snicker to know he is so active.

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24
In response to Grammy24

Tammy ,we haven't met yet but will remember you in my prayers...good luck

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24
In response to Grammy24

Who makes twinlking H2O...new to me

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Grammy24

Grammy - we were in Ketchikan Alaska a few months ago, August I think) and we went on the brothel tour. Not planned, I didn't even know it was there but I found the lifestyle of the girls and that time period fascinating. Its just so different from anything I can imagine.

Then we went to Seattle the following week and we took the underground Seattle tour which we loved. THey talked a lot about Lou Graham, the famous madam who made so much money she became personal lender to many of the richest people in Seattle and also gave enough to the city to keep Seattle afloat at that time.

In a very small area the census came back with 2,700 seamstresses in Seattle. All but 2 or 3 were in the area close to where the underground tour takes place. When city officials got curious about how they could have 2,700 seamstresses in one area they investigated and did not find one sewing machine. This is what the hookers called their profession on the census report.

A sewing tax of $10.00 per week per seamstress was charged and with 2,700 "seamstresses" time $10.00 a week or $40.00 a month each - that was where early Seattle got its money.

I just found it interesting but never thought I would see or hear about another brothel.

Then we spent the night in Wallace Idaho a week later and we passed the Oasis brothel and museum. We were on a roll for brothels on this trip so we stayed overnight and took the tour the next day. It was the most interesting of all of them. That is the one where each girl was expected to entertain an average of 40 men a night in 8 minute segments.

With 6 or 7 girls and the madam and the gentlemen guests - up to 280 a night in the house, they had one bathroom. That kind of amused me.

Especially since on the price list there was a price listed if one of the men wanted a 30 minute bubble bath.

The downstairs had once been a saloon but I didn't see and bathroom downstairs so it appeared everyone shared one bathroom. There were 6 or 7 medicine cabinets on the wall of the bathroom over the tub so each girl had her own medicine cabinet.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

Wow, Henri! I'm being educated about brothels from your posts. What a miserable life that must have been. Doubt that it's much better nowadays.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to Solitaire

Good Grief, I've missed so many pages since I was last on!

Happy Birthday (Late), Sheryl!!

Darla, I can't believe Paper Arts did that! I've always thought Marie was a bit odd, not that I've shopped there too much, it's so far out of the way for me. I have, however, helped several customers with simple questions every time I'm there, calling The Hub on the way home and telling him that I knew more about what was going on in the scrapbook world than the store owner. Sad. I haven't been there since sometime during the summer when I had a full punch card to use. Probabaly won't go back.

I got off early from work on Friday, made a couple of stops for errands and groceries, picked up our Christmas cards, but hurried home to help put up our outside lights. Every year we go through the same thing, Hubs complaining about the lights, which makes me feel bad (his bad back + climbing on a roof + not wanting anyone's help does not = a fun time on my end. But I love how it looks when they're done. I spent my Saturday cleaning, working on my December Daily (I go Thansgiving to New Years Eve), and then dinner out with some extended family in town. Today we've done nothing but lay around, watch TV, pig out and take naps - a perfect Sunday, in my opinion! LOL

Hello to all the newbies joining us, it's fun getting to know everyone here!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everybody!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Grammy24

Those girls worked hard for the money Sheesh!

Welcome newbies!

Well, I was going to put up lights, but it seems ours have seen better days. We need new ones, hopefully, they will last as long as this set, which we got from my parents like 8-9 years ago after they used them for a long time!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Manda_K

thank you for all the well wishes - if all goes well I will be coming home tomorrow late afternoon, early evening so will try to check in.

We had a wonderful day today visiting with my MIL and then dinner out with my SIL and her son and dil and wee baby Jacob!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Ladybing Tammy

Solitaire - it has certainly been an education for me!

Now I'm researching King Tut. I've got a solid 3 pages of research printed over the past 10 or 12 hours - I've been totally emmersed in it.

I researched some after we were in Egypt and went into his tomb. Then a few months ago we went to the King Tut exhibit in Seattle and it got me interested into digging a lot deeper.

Now I'm tyring to figure out how to put this into scrapbook form and mix it in with the pictures from the exhibit. Then I have underground Seattle to scrap and the Crab Pot in Seattle.

Then on to Yellowstone and a new scrapbook.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to tanyaham

Hey, Ms. Tanya! Good to see you, I don't think I've seen you since before Thanksgiving. I was appalled that Marie did that, especially since I've recommended the shop to quite a few people. Since she had asked my friend to ask me about teaching the Starry starry Night book class in her shop, I decided I needed to call and decline and explain why. She wasn't there but I talked to her granddaughter, explained my displeasure at what happened and why I would not teach in the shop. Marie called me back within half and hour, was very apologetic but also had some halfbaked reasons how the misunderstanding might have happened, but bottom line is I'm still not completely happy with the whole situation.
Ms. Tammy, prayers for you for your surgery tomorrow! I'll be with you in spirit, and I hope and pray for only a good outcome and success with whatever they do. When you feel well enough, please let us know how you are!
Welcome to another newbie! So glad you joined us! This is a great group of people for the most part, all with hearts of gold and generous spirits to match. If I didn't have to work, I think I'd like to just hang out here all the time chatting with everybody.
Hope everyone has had a great weekend and has a wonderful week! Laters................

litlplace
Resident
litlplace
In response to Ladybing Tammy

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow Tammy. I hope all goes well and you get a good report back.

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24
In response to tanyaham

hi Tanayham, nice to meet you. Sounds like a perfect Sunday...did you say NAP!!!!!

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24

are you ready to play Jeopardy !!!!! You have been so many interesting places.

litlplace
Resident
litlplace
In response to chocolateaxel

Hi everyone! Welcome to all of the other newbies! A late Happy Birthday Sheryl!
My weekend was a pretty good one. My sister, niece and grand niece came to visit yesterday. My sister is terrified of dogs so I put my dog outside on her cable. About half an hour later while we were eating lunch, in comes my dog through the garage door. I'm thinking my husband got home early and let the dog in, but no, it's just the dog. I have no idea how she unhooked herself from the cable or how she got the door from the garage to the house open. I'm now calling her Houdini dog!
Today we went to the diner for lunch and then to the grocery store. Came home and put the groceries away and am now relaxing.
Hope everyone has a good week!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to litlplace

HEYYYY everyone- I'm BACK.

And my life is about to be a bit slower and quieter- for a tiny bit, anyways. I can't wait to spend this weekend in my craft-room!!!!!!

Dangit, Darla- we're not going to have one place in town where we can both shop- with you boycotting M's AND Paper Arts and with me running the boycotts at HL and JoAnn!!!

Aaaand Miz Henri is doing BROTHEL LAYOUTS.

Things never get dull in here...

lol

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to designguyKORY

Now I'm doing King Tut layouts for the Seattle exhibit we went to a few months ago. So awesome after being in King Tut's tomb 3 years ago.

Buried myself in research yesterday and have one more good day of research and then I will be done and moving on to other things in Seattle and then Yellowstone.

Quiet morning - 10:30. My husband got a little irritaed at me because he was ready for bed last night around midnight and I was so emmersed in researching King Tut and all over the internet matching statues and artifax to the titles that I wasn't ready for bed until 2:30. The man won't go to bed without me so he just sat at his desk until 2:30 this morning and grumbled. He is a master complainer and grumbler.

Well, if we had decided on the cruise we would be boarding the Independence of the Seas in Ft. Lauderdale in about an hour or two. However, we decided to pass on it. Hated to miss a a5 day cruise to Haiti and Jamaica for $170 but they run this one a lot although we will have to pay $10 more each after this week - price went up. Just too much to do here in Florida.

Wish we could get a good Chinese restaurant here in Ocala. We have a lot of them and none are worth going back a second time.

If we had a good Chinese restaurant I would quit complalining about the tiny mall and no where good to shop and other restaurants that this small town doesn't have. Just bring in one good Chinese restaurant.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Henri, my DH is also a master grumbler and complainer....I think it gets worse as he gets older.....I have a hard time dealing with it

I don't think I could live without chinese food at least once in awhile and also, mexican food, oh, and also, italian food (I do love my pasta!)
I like to cook, though so I make a lot of stuff at home....

Alison

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kiyawinn

Bill is getting grumblier as he gets older too - not so much when we travel but when we are home and he's bored or hungry. I don't deal well with it either.

My favorite restaurants are seafood places - still a couple seafood restaurants in town we haven't tried yet.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics