Username Post: PayDay-Friday!        (Topic#1571397)
mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to flintridgescrapper

• flintridgescrapper Said:
One thing that makes me upset (besides my own safety) is that the lady at one of the homes he broke into is now so scared she won't stay at home at night. Also, the poor little aunt he's with is so sweet, and her family tramples her & takes advantage of her. Just makes me so angry!

How far away does your mother live? Do you go most Sundays to be with her? That's so special that you get to do that if so.

Judy, that's just really scary and it seems like it's always the sweet ones that get taken advantage of. Not fair, but seems to be the way it happens.

My mom lives 7 miles away from us. She turned 87 last November, but lives alone and cooks more often than I do :>) She has a nice mobile home in a senior park. She does have a lady come in twice a month for housecleaning, but Mom is fine on her own. She's a really good driver, but stays off the freeways and doesn't drive at night since her cataract surgeries. Most every afternoon she heads out for a shopping area. She does a little shopping for groceries or odds & ends a couple days. The other days she parks and watches people She just likes to get out of the house. Hips and legs don't let her do much walking, but at least she's out and about.

I order books for her from the library and Hubby runs in on Saturday mornings and picks up all the books that I've ordered for the three of us. Mom gets her new books on Sundays and gives us the ones she's read during the week. She used to do more on her computer, but now mostly does e-mail, checks facebook, and plays games on pogo.

On Sunday mornings she drives to our house and rides to church with us. Our oldest daughter and her family go there also, so we take up most of a row. Hubby, Mom and I go out to eat after church every week. Sometimes our daughter/family come with us. Then Mom goes home and we go to the church parking lot and take our nap

Mom knows she can call if she needs anything. Hubby is always ready to climb up to change light bulbs and things like that. She has some great neighbors and one brings her mail into the house so she doesn't have to go up and down her steps to get out to the mailbox.

I'm an only child and my dad died fifteen years ago, so we try to do things with her that she enjoys. She goes on a lot of our trips with us.~Judy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to flintridgescrapper

Judy—You said "major" car repair. Do you know what's wrong? With your job being iffy, this probably wasn't the news you wanted for today. I'm so sorry your life is kind of coming apart right now. ~Judy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-23-13 11:01 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

Judy, wow I am shocked that they allowed him to move back into that same area. Good for you... get on the phone and call up everyone you can. Hopefully something can be done. And yes, get thee to a gun range!! I think that it's important to fire a gun and know what to expect. I hear so many stories of people who have a gun and think they will be able to use it when the time comes, but then they hesitate because they aren't used to it.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-23-13 11:11 PM
In response to Vae

I just hafta say you are all the greatest! Thank you Mrs Drive, Darla, and Sheryl for all your help.

The stamp is covered in some kind of goop. It was just regular ink but when I went to wipe it off, some other goop was on there and starting pilling up. The ink itself isn't bothering me it's just all the little pieces of whatever this is. It was a new stamp in the package... one of the orange rubber ones with a foam back (not a block). I don't know if you're supposed to prep them or something before you use them? I don't know what it is but it's sticky.

Judy and Sheryl you were both right... I have to get that extra adapter. I read a bunch of posts that said the tabbed platform and the new solo platform were the same, but apparently they aren't. The new bigkick machines are coming with the same platform as the vintaj now, so when I was looking at bigkick instructions I thought they would be the same. I ordered an adapter on amazon and it will be here Wednesday. That seems SOO far away! I will try some more chipboard like you suggested Sheryl and see if that will work.

The funny thing is that earlier today I went to my LSS to ask them about the big kick. The owner was showing me some of the new dies she got at the expo yesterday. I was asking her if I needed some special embossing mats to do the spellbinders. She said no, you don't need anything besides what comes with it. So she opened one up and ran it through and sure enough, it cut but didn't emboss. I was actually reading the directions for her showing her that you do need an embossing mat. She had been using it this whole time and never used the embossing mats. So I did pick up a set of spellbinders tan mats and then also the texturz starter kit (both on clearance). I don't know if I need the texturz thing- it has a rubber mat plus an impressions pad (along with some texture plates). Does anyone else here use any of those things? I might just return it if I don't need it.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-23-13 11:31 PM
In response to Vae

Sheryl,

Thanks for the chipboard suggestion

Yes, I did have something else to try. I tried the Tim Holtz texture fade folder. From the instructions it looked like you just use the platform, the folder with some cardstock. But of course that wasn't thick enough, so I added one clear plate. Still not enough. So I added the 2nd clear plate and that was too much. So I took out one plate and added 2 pieces of chipboard to it. That still wasn't enough. I don't have any other chipboard handy so I'll try it tomorrow once I can find more chipboard.

I did go back and try the spellbinders again with both plates and the 2 pieces of chipboard and that also wasn't enough. It doesn't even make a slight mark. LOL. So tomorrow I'll go find another 12x12 chipboard and cut it in half and add those and see if I can get this thing to work.

The adapter I ordered is only 1/8" thick so I really don't know how that is going to make these work since 2 layers of chipboard didn't, but I'll try it anyway and then if it doesn't I'll be on the phone with them.

Hubby's turning off all the lights and if I don't hurry up I won't be able to see my way to the bedroom so I'm signing off.

G'night everyone see you tomorrow!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Vae

Jarvae - the texutrz plates are a little thicker and heavy if you ask me but they leave a more faint impression in cardstock in my opinion then embossing folders - don't really like them much myself so never bought one. and you do need the rubberized mat with them or you will wreck your wheels or something.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Ladybing Tammy

The Moose just got back from being out investigating - the Motorway is closed in both directions - we live at the top of a huge hill (we are in the foothills of the Pennines) and it appears someone either jumped or fell of the edge of the hills or one of the bridges over onto the motorway - the rescue helicopter has been circling and landed in the football field right ourside our building. Not nice - this is the 2nd time this month - someone jumped off the train bridge about a week and a half ago.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to terrihooper

First of all- Mario is soooo not Mr. TH's 'assistant,' -BUT- tell us MORE about the story about the store owner being rude to TF & M?!?! Wow- NERVE!

What a wild night for me! Spent the evening running out with my socialite lady friend who is on the board of the theatre company I work for- what a riot! Dangit, Darla- I wish you'd've been there!!!! I dont know whan I last laughed so much!!!
-k

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to designguyKORY

So sorry that I called Mario an assistant. Would craft partner/designer be a better term? Either way... my friend who was at the workshop said Mario was equally as nice and creative. I won't say the name of the crabby ladies store but if anybody is ever coming to KC... you can PM me and I would tell you the name of the extra sweet and helpful ladies store. I am thinking that we don't get to recommend other stores on this site... is that correct? Anybody from OK coming to the big Art and Soul event in Ks City next month? It is 5 or 6 days long. I can't recall that an Art and Soul event has been in KC before?

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I just thought Mario was Tim's partner full out but I could be wrong.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Ladybing Tammy

Jarvae, some stamps need a bit of sanding before use. Just take super fine sandpaper and rub it a couple times. See if that works for you.

LOL on the Mario comment. When I went to TH class a few years ago, I instantly thought that they were together. He is so nice, I can't imagine anyone being rude to him.

Glad you had a great evening K!

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to Manda_K

Good morning, y'all! Hope everyone had a great Saturday evening.
Korybean, sounds like you had a wild time, I wish I had been there too! Details, man, details.......where'd y'all go, what'd y'all do, etc.
Is anybody doing anything fun today? So far my big plans only include laundry, yippee. I might work up the motivation to get back to my scrap room in a bit, see if I can clean up some of the carnage left by yesterday's session in there, and find motivation to work on something else.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Manda_K

Its awful not feeling safe in your own home.

We have one neighbor that really frightens me. Enough that if Bill isn't home, especially if it gets dark, then my Smith & Wesson is on my scrap desk where I can grab it in a split second. Right next to my computer keyboard and I will use it.

Here's the story. Bill came home about 3 years ago and said there was a man down the street, lived with his girlfriend and her kids and he seemed nice - he was in the army and is Green Beret also.

A few days later Bill was not home and this guy is standing on my doorstep. He said, "Hi, I'm live down the street. I am in Special Forces and am looking for Bill." That was very strange to me because guys who were actually in Special Forces do not introduce themselves that way. I know too many and they just don't come on with it.

I told him Bill was not home but if he would tell me his name I would tell Bill he had come by. He said "Okay, my name is first sargent." I said if you will give me your name, I will tell him you came by and he said, "Okay, tell Bill that 'first' was here."

I said, "I'm sorry. I am not in the army. I have never been in the army and and I don't expect to go into the army so if you want to give me your name I will tell Bill you came by."

He just got mad and told me, "Tell him first was here - he will know."

I told Bill that some real nut came by - said his nhame was first and that he was a Green Beret but this man was definitely never a Green Beret. Here was crazy - and it was doubtful he was ever in the army at all.

Bill just looked at me and said he didn't find anything wrong with him. Maybe I just though he was crazy and Bill didn't have any reason to think he wasn't a Green Beret.

That night Bill got an email from him, "Hi Bill, I just wanted you to know I went by your house and a really mean lady answered the door. I didn't like the mean lady - she wasn't nice to me. She was really mean."

I'm not a rocket scientist but Houston, we've got a problem.

A few days later Bill said to me, "The couple down the street broke up - the guy you don't like, and he is going to take a bus back to the base in Alabama but has no where to stay tonight. I don't suppose he can stay in our guest house?"

"Uh -no"

Bill said, "Okay, then I will take him to the bus station. I don't understand anyway how he can be active army yet he never leaves or goes back to his base. He's been here for almsot 2 years."

I told Bill, "That's becuase he's not in the army and is not nor has he ever been a Green Beret."

So Bill takes him to the bus station and the guy (who has very little if any money) had a bedroll with him. At the bus station Bill told him, "Look at the sign - they have a good military discount. You just need to show them your ID."

THe guy told him that his ID was rolled up in his bedroll with his other stuff. That is when Bill got suspicious. No military or retired military carried their ID anywhere except their wallet so they can get to it easily. And they never turn down a military discount, especially if they don't have much money.

Bill came home and told me I could be right. THe fact he could not produce a military ID so he gave a stupid excuse and passed on a discount did not make sense.

That got Bill suspicious enough to start making phone calls. He checked with people he knows who are in active Green Berets that have access to personal files and computer databases. This guy has never been in the Green Berets ever, his name is not in any past or present army green beret database.

Unfortunately he came back a few weeks later and they got back together.

About 5 or 6 months ago I had chest pains and went to the hospital (turned out to be a 2 day hospital stay which found there was nothing wrong) but in triage they asked questions. Where it hurt and that kind of thing but in the middle of the questions they asked me if I was afraid in my home. I guess they try to identify potentially battered wives that way.

I just said "I am very afraid in my home." The woman asking questions stopped and looked at me, my husband's jaw dropped open as he stared at me, the nurse stopped and starred."

Then I proceeded, "there is a man down the street who claims to be in Special Forces but he's a phony. He refers to me as the mean lady and I'm veyr much afraid of him."

About a month ago our doorbell rang and it was a private investigator. He said he had been hired by a doctor this man worked for until recently. When he was fired he hacked into the computer systems and removed all personal files on himself and did a lot of other damage. And then sent the doctor an email threatening to kill him and his family. It was absolutely crazy.

Bill said that the "fake green beret" as I refer to him got into a lot of trouble on Craig's list claiming to be a war hero and threating to beat up or even kill people who didn't beleive him. I didn't know a thing about that but Bill said the police were investigating him for that.

The investigator said he knew that and there was a warrant out for his arrest for the threatening email to this doctor.

The problem was they didn't know his real name so they were trying to get finger prints so they could identify him. Bill told him that the guy told him that the name he was using was an alias. What???? I didn't know that!!!!

Bill told him the guy was working a military police job in Alabama right now, that they were emailing the night before. Bill said that maybe the guy wasn't a green beret, but he wasn't sure, a lot of things pointed to the fact that he might be becuase he knew so much about being a green beret. And he had a green beret license plate on the front of his car. So do I, but I was never a green beret either.

The investigator told us that the neighbor's father was a real Green Beret.

Then a day later a friend of Bill's who is a police office checked and there is no warrant for him under that name so nobody knows what is going on.

Next thing - the private investigator turns out to be legitimate but brand new and doens't know what he's doing, plus he has a history of drug use - we found people who know him and his family. Not the kind of investigator a reputable person would hire.

I put the guys name into google and I see why there is the investigation pending by the police on the Craig's list thing. He's made threats that would get the police's attention. He's crazy - the Craig's list threat made my blood run cold! I read some of the posts and they were written by a potentially very dangerous person.

Anyway, that night Bill was emailing someone back and forth and I asked who it was talking to. He said he was talking to the idiot neighbor only he was on his job as a military police in Alabama and was accusing Bill of not ever being in Special Forces because he didn't know about it.

That's a joke. Bill was in the army for 20 years and Special Forces for 19 1/2 years of that time. I've got the discharge paper to prove it. And I know a lot of the guys he served with. And the ex-wife who was married to him when he was in. Even got his greet beret somewhere around here and the military pictures of him in his Green Beret uniform.

Anyway, its not fun having someone in the neighborhood that you are afraid of. Especially someone you know doesn't like you and is very mentally disturbed.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Vae

Jarvae, you always, always, always need the two clear plates. No matter what you are doing. If you are using a thick steel,rule die, you don't need theplatform, but you always need the clear cutting plates. Anything else, you will always need the platform too. Just push it a little to get it started and crank that sucker through. I've put some pretty thick things thru mine. I'm sure you can break it, but it's pretty tough, at leat the manual ones are.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SherylEb

I've had my Big Shot for 6 months and am still intimidated by it. I used nesties once in it and followed directions - they were pretty clear but I don't try to use it unless I have time to watch utubes again and read instructions.

If I used it a lot I would know what I'm doing but I don't. People who use it a lot just crank out the diecuts and embossed thingies with no problem but when you rarely use it - then it is new to you every time.

Haven't decided if I'm going to keep the new machine yet but thinking I might. Even though I found out those dies will work in other machines with a "C" plate. Maybe I will take it back and use the dies in my Big Shot. I haven't decided.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Henri Jean

I don't know anything about a Fuse. I'm pretty happy with my big shot. If I changed I would get an EBosser. Basically the same as a Vagabond. But I've read so many stories about people's vagabond quitting or breaking within the first year. But then EBosser hasn't been out as long as vagabond.

I'm not the least bit intimidated with the big shot. Just start sticking things thru. You won't break it. The worst it will do is not cut well.

Edited by SherylEb on 02-24-13 08:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to SherylEb

An FYI for anyone embossing. If you want a little bit deeper emboss, give the paper a quick spritz with alcohol right before you run it through. I keep some in a mini mister. The alcohol makes the fibers relax so it embosses a little Deeper. If you have thick, stiff paper it's great. You can do the same thing with water, but alcohol dries super fast. Thats why you have to spritz it right before you're ready to send it thru.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SherylEb

That is good to know Sheryl and I will try it.

My Big Shot intimidates me becuase I never use it so I have to learn it all over again. Plus it is big and heavy to keep getting out. If I had room to keep it out somewhere I know I would play with it and get comfortable with it.

Just not a lot of use I've found for it on scrapbook pages. If I did cards I know I would use it all the time.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Henri Jean

Okay- it's already after 12pm noon and I'm just now getting alive, again. I forget why, but at some point I thought it would just be 'GENIUS' to TAPE A BLANKET OVER MY BEDROOM WINDOW WITH GAFFE TAPE. Which means, at 11am, I kinda wake up, in the pitch black and think, WOW IT'S EARLY!

Dangit. 1/2 the day is over!!!

Henri- I dont know why you're intimidated by the BigShot. There's nothing to learn. I think you're over-thinking it- just stack stuff up and crank it thru- that's all you gotta do. Stack. Crank. If your stack doesn't fit, take something out. If it doesnt cut, add something to the stack. lol THERE. That's the directions they should've printed on the box. lol

PinkPaper- I did NOT mean to look like I was being rude up there! I hate that y'all can't hear my voice when you read my posts. Now, imagine me saying "He is soooo not is his assistant" as if I'm saying: "That his huzzzzzbin." lololol

I love grape gatorade. The other day at work, I walked over to 'The Bistro' (really? it can't just be the BREAKROOM?!) to buy my morning Grape Gatorade, and I was walking with my friend Gail from another department. She asked me why I like Grape Gatorade so much. I said, 'Because it tastes like grape kool-aid and I freakin LOVE GRAPE KOOL-AID.' She looks so serious and says, "You are SO ghetto." Dangit, there's another thing that is only funny if you can hear the voice.

I'm gonna go back to playing with my watercolors! I'm tryin to learn how to paint a tree from an online tutorial. So far, I can only paint a big green blob with dark green amoebas on it...

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to SherylEb

Shuryl, you don't always need two plates. If you are doing a die that embosses a fold line- like the envelope die or some Mr. Holtz's crazier new dies, you need one clear plate and the crease pad.

sorry, had to be a smart@$$.

;-)

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics