Username Post: PayDay-Friday!        (Topic#1571397)
terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to scrappyjae

cool- you will have to tell us how it feels to shoot a maching gun!

When I go to GASC in Arlington, I take a couple of classes, buy space to crop all day and do the night crop parties. I also SHOP SHOP SHOP!!!! I love having everything in one place!
DH got home last night and had me all 4 colors of tape from T! YEAH! I will definitely be using it this weekend! I have ladies driving in as we speak! It is going to be a FUN weekend--

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to terrihooper

Bill just got me a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 a few months ago. I want to get the trigger adjust though. He likes his Glock the best - just bought a new one with laser and mine has laser.

I feel like we have an arsenol here!

He got a text message this morning about $3.16 being put on his credit card - was it legitimate. Of course if he had texted back it would have confirmed the account so instead he called the credit card company on the number he has for them and it was a fraud - they were waiting for him to text back and say he didn't make the charge - then they would know the account was valid.

The credit card company gave him the name and phone number that charged it and when Bill called it to see what it was, it was a disconnected number. In just a matter of hours after taking $3.16 off his credit card?

So he cancelled the card at the credit card companies advice and they set up an all new account for him. It appears they were setting him up for a big helping to his credit card balance.

Nothing else going on - Just working on Freemantle today. WOuld like to be done with it before I go to bed tonight.

Oh - cruises have formal nights but they are optional. You can go to them if you want to or you can eat in the buffet.

On the Princess cruise you could go casual as long as you had long pants and they would hand you a jacket when you walked in. You didn't have to wear it, just hang it over your chair.

On Royal Caribbean BIll wore his suit once and didn't want to do it again so he just wore a nice pull over golf-type shirt with long pants and he was fine.

I dress up if I feel like it and if I don't feel like it I don't. More and more of our friends on cruises are not taking formal clothes.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Henri Jean

If I went on a cruise, I don't think I would take my suit OFF! I love dressing up to go out to dinner.

I've never been on a cruise, tho. Even when I worked in travel and we could go nearly free. I would still just get my free nights in Vegas in return for going on a hotel tour and party it up. In my nice clothes. lol

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to designguyKORY

KK, are you going to CKC Tulsa with your coworker friend? Maybe we should grab Tanya and all go together. I will drive by myself but it's more fun with friends, lol

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to chocolateaxel

My first husband always had a suit on and always looked nice. (I have a picture of him somewhere cutting the front yard in a tie when we were in California).

Bill, on the other hand - I saw him in a suit when he graduated from the police academy in Miami in 1969 and the next time I saw him a suit was in 2009 when we got married. Not a suit kind of guy.

The agreement Bill and I have is he will take a suit on cruises and I can take formal clothes (and I have a ton of them) if the cruise originates and ends int he United States.

We dont' take them anymore if we have to fly overseas to catch the ship. We have cruise out of Puerto Rico, Rome (Civitevecchia) and several other places and we have gotten off the ship in Singapore and twice in Sydney. If we have to lug a suitcase full of formal shoes and clothes on planes, we don't take them.

If we get there by car, they can go.

Only problem is that we got off one cruise in Los Angeles and had formal clothes, then from there took off overseas and lugged them all over the world. That is what Bill doesn't want to do anymore.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to chocolateaxel

I'm in with you Chocklit!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to designguyKORY

Have fun spending your PayDay wealth (judiciously, of course)! It was so tempting to drive up through OKC on my recent wildflower trip, but I didn't know where to start. San Diego isn't exactly the center of the crafting world. I have J's and Mike's and a little shop that is so small I get claustrophopic. However, she does carry local high school paper and embellies, so I go there for those sometimes. I'm sure there are more around somewhere, but no Hobby Lobby/Archivers. Hopefully you'll find some of the things you've stashed away ~Judy

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to mrsdriver5

all this talk of guns - yikes (can you tell I am Canadian)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Ladybing Tammy

I've always grown up with firearms in the home so I don't think twice about them. My brothers have them in their homes and my oldest son - I have no idea how many he has.

Bill takes care of ours and used to teach weaponry and gun safety in the army and knows how to handle them safely.

When we were in Eerie PA a few years back we wanted to go to Niagara Falls and see the Canadian part but couldn't because of the weapons in the van. We could have checked them into a locker or somewhere but the problem is we wanted to enter the US from Canada in a different stop so it would have been a real inconvenience to have to go all the way back to that point.

We decided to wait.

We plan to go to a license plate convention in New York in the new couple years - 2014 I think, and we want to see Niagara Falls and tour a bit of Canada so we are going to have to figure out what to do with the pistols. We have friends in the states in that area and I have a cousin who would put them in his safe for us.

But for long road trips - we like to have them with us.

As real estate agents, a good number carry a pistol in their purse or car. It is the most dangerous job a woman can have - or high on the list. A strange man can call and ask you to meet them at a vacant house. They don't even keep track of the number of real estate agents murdered every year - there used to be statistics.

I know two who were murdered in a model home in Atlanta. So many of us have learned to be protected. I've had two situations where there was danger and I was vulnerable and unprotected.

Another woman in Atlanta got a call from a young man who said he and his wife wanted to see a house on a golf course a few years back. She agreed to meet them at the house. The man showed up and said his wife had to get the baby up from the nap so they waited in their respective cars. Then he "pretended" to be on his cell phone and told the agent his wife just called, going to be a bit later, could they go ahead and look inside while they were waiting.

THey were in the kitchen when he opened his brief case anjd took aout a metal pipe. He said, "Do you ever feel like just killing someone? I feel like killing yhou right now" and hit her with the pipe. She started screaming and golfers heard her and ran in.

She was still alive but not in good shape at all with the blows to the head and lots of blood loss.

He left his briefcase and in it were all kinds of fake driver's licenses and social security and identifications and well as other items such as lightweight rope and things like that.

It can be a scary business so we have to be protected. I've had two situations that were potentiallyl very dangerous - one I got away from the scene and the other I involved the police.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

My mom is a real estate agent, and I worry about her potentially being vulnerable.

I've had several situations in which I felt unsafe, but the one that takes the cake is the taxi driver who said, "this song reminds me of me and you" as I got into the cab. Wish I had a gun for protection then!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to jaspernonyx

I remember those stories Henri from another thread - I remember thinking it must be frightening. Make no mistake I could put down an attacker if I had to and I would not hesitate to point and shoot (I do know how) if my children's lives were in danger, it is just guns are not easy to come by here and so prevalent there it is a bit scary for me.

(I grew up in the country and my daddy taught me a thing or two about protection as I was growing up because I had a situation where I was scared babysitting).

I also used to babysit for a member of a motorcycle gang - after that nobody ever bothered me again!

Edited by Ladybing Tammy on 05-04-12 04:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I know what you are saying Tammy. Guns are very scary in the wrong hands.

We seem to put a lot of emphasis here on gun safety and classes and that is good. I'm glad to see that.

Bill takes Joe and me to the range and that is a tremendous help for me.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Another Yikes! here (also Canadian)
I must be sheltered or something because I don't know one person that has been involved in guns or had their life in danger at the hands of another. It's pretty quiet here (and I don't live that far from Toronto, a very large city)
Respectfully, I just don't see the need for a gun...

Alison

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli

• Henri Jean Said:
I've always grown up with firearms in the home so I don't think twice about them. My brothers have them in their homes and my oldest son - I have no idea how many he has.

Bill takes care of ours and used to teach weaponry and gun safety in the army and knows how to handle them safely.

When we were in Eerie PA a few years back we wanted to go to Niagara Falls and see the Canadian part but couldn't because of the weapons in the van. We could have checked them into a locker or somewhere but the problem is we wanted to enter the US from Canada in a different stop so it would have been a real inconvenience to have to go all the way back to that point.

We decided to wait.

We plan to go to a license plate convention in New York in the new couple years - 2014 I think, and we want to see Niagara Falls and tour a bit of Canada so we are going to have to figure out what to do with the pistols. We have friends in the states in that area and I have a cousin who would put them in his safe for us.

But for long road trips - we like to have them with us.

As real estate agents, a good number carry a pistol in their purse or car. It is the most dangerous job a woman can have - or high on the list. A strange man can call and ask you to meet them at a vacant house. They don't even keep track of the number of real estate agents murdered every year - there used to be statistics.

Henri- lol, Not sure if I should tell Aaron about this... He asked me how the "Dexter Grandma" was doing the other day. lol. (He hardly ever refers to anyone by their actual name... it takes a lot of work for me to keep up all the nicknames) I can only imagine what you caring a gun would do to his nickname imagination!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady

• Henri Jean Said:

Only problem is that we got off one cruise in Los Angeles and had formal clothes, then from there took off overseas and lugged them all over the world. That is what Bill doesn't want to do anymore.

You should have boxed them up and shipped them home UPS.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to NMlady

The only time I ever carry it is on long trips where we will be on a lot of desolate highway.

I think of all the school shootings and mass shootings and shootings there have been in McDonalds and shopping malls. If just one responsibile person had been armed, how many innocent lives could have been saved.

Mine stays on my nightstand unless we have company - just like my husbands. When we have company they are locked in the safe.

I was raped in 1980 in my own home and if I had owned a pistol then I would have been able to protect myself. One of my girlfriends was raped when someone broke into her house and she was home by herself. She heard him come in and all she could do was scream when he came at her.

In 1995 I worked for a subdivision. My ex-husband was out of town so I got off work and drove home 45 minutes. I had to go back to my subdivision to write a contract and then got home around 10:30 or 11:00. Maybe it was a lot later, I don't remember.

I had turned off all the lights and gone to bed when my doorbell rang. I did not go to the door but went to a window and peek outside and a man was staying there. One I did not know. Other lights in the neighborhood were on and mine were not so there is no reason for him to be at my house.

Then I heard something and realized he was trying to break in. I called the police but knew it could take a while. I hid in the house until the police got there but I wish I had been armed. My goodness how I wish I had been armed in case he got in before the police got there.

The police finally did show up and apparentely they scared him away. They had me get in my car and they followed me to one of my girlfriends houses so I could spend the night. I was told not to go back in my house alone until my husband was back in town.

The next morning when my friends took me home to get ready for work we could see knife marks all over my door where he had been trying to break in. I shudder to think what would have happened if he had gotten in before the police came.

Turns out they got him a couple weeks later a few miles from my house - followed another real estate agent home from a subdivision and they caught him trying to break into her house.

But I very seldom carry my pistol with me. Mostly becuase I know a lot of people are not comfortable around them so out of respect for friends and people who would not be comfortable I do not carry it.

With the exception of when I'm showing houses. You just don't know what yoyu are walking into then but I don't show houses much anymore. And if I know my buyers well enough to feel safe I don't carry it.

There are a lot of crazies in this world. We live in a very safe neighborhood so I don't worry much here.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

We talked about sending them home UPS but with a suitcase and all the clothes and shoes and things - it would get expensive so we just lugged them everywhere.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

oh my friend I feel so bad and am sorry you went through that - I do understand!

now re the shootings in school and such - the Canadian way of thinking would be that if people did not have easy access to guns in the first place - these things wouldn't happen. Yes we know the criminals have guns. I was a material witness to a drug shooting 5 years ago - it happened right in front of my house in a small city - the fact that a cop stood on my door step all night did not make me feel safe - maybe a pistol would have but I don't know.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli

Sorry you went through that too Henri!

All kidding aside, guns scare me and I rather not have anything to do with them (maybe is it is all my vacationing time in Canada... oops, I guess not all kidding aside) We do have a shot gun in the basement from when DH use to hunt, but I am pretty sure we do not have any ammo. I will let the people who know how to deal with guns carry them, but that will never be me. We live in a "safe" town... hardly anyone locks their doors at night. Well, I do not even know if they lock it when they leave for vacations! We are from the city, so we lock our doors. DH has admitted to forgetting sometimes, so I have begun checking the 1 forgettable door at night too.

nanasan
Diva
nanasan

Happy NSBD people!
Happy Birthday Alsion!
I am working on our tailgating book-- only one game left to do--

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics