Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Help! I have to bake a (Lego?) cake ...        (Topic#1571609)
stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-06-12 09:34 AM

I'm a great cook, but I am so not a baker. Measuring things is just stressful, lol. Plus we rarely have desserts anyway and even more rarely anything as large as a cake, so I'm always at a loss when I need to make one. DH's birthday is coming up, he's asked for chocolate, of course. I'm thinking of just using a mix - any recs? I've heard good things about Barefoot Contessa mixes, but maybe Duncan Hines is just as good?

And I don't like canned frosting very much so I guess I'll have to make that somehow, but - that leads me to the next problem: the decorating! It's kind of a Lego-themed birthday (we'll be with our Lego-obsessed nephews that day, and I got DH a couple of the new Lego architectural models, he loves to build things like that). So I'm hoping to decorate it Lego-y somehow. I could just get some minifigures and bricks and stick them on top ... any cleverer ideas?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to stick

Make the base a rectangle. Make eight cupcakes, cut off the curved top parts and put the bottoms upside down on the base cake. Frost in red, green, blue, or yellow.

You can also buy gummy Legos (the logical conclusion to telling kids for years not to put Legos in their mouth!). You could use a few of these on the tops of some additional frosted cupcakes.

Man, now I want a Lego party!

Edited by aquabunny on 03-06-12 10:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to aquabunny

I was going to say the same thing.

Make your own large LEGO. There are probably Lego-shaped cake pans out there too --but likely you don't want to buy one for one use?

As for frosting, buttercream frosting is super easy to make. I think there is a recipe on most powdered sugar bags. Powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, milk. It's very easy, and you really don't even need a recipe.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Here's an even easier one, with large marshmallows as the connectors.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/building-bloc ks-cak...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

I am not a fan of any boxed cake mix and will normally pass on a cake made from a box.

To me it isn't any more trouble to just throw the ingredients together. I have an excellent chocolate fudge cake recipe if you would like to have it.

ALso have a chocolate fudge frosting recipe I'll be happy to send you. My family has loved this cake and frosting for years.

It's not harder to make a scratch cake, you just need more ingredients on hand but once you get out the mixer and cake mix and the eggs and oil, you might as well get out the rest of the stuff.

I would probably buy a new set of legos and then boil them for a bit to get them really clean and sterilized and use them for Cake decorations. I would place them around the edges and write the child's name on top in real Legos.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Bxr-Linda

Most of our bulk stores or baking specific shops (some bakeries as well) rent out their specific design cake pans. Maybe you could check for one?

I've seen aquabunny's idea. Looks great finished

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to Bxr-Linda

My sister hosted a Lego party for her 10 yr old son this year. She made a cake just like aquabunny suggested. She also wrapped large and small square boxes in bright primary color wrapping paper, with matching plastic party cups attached to resemble Legos. The rest of the decorations were primary colors.
He loved it and so did the rest of the people who attended the party.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-06-12 10:30 AM
In response to scrapnread

Honestly, Henri - it's the measuring, I just hate it, lol. Plus we'll be at my BIL's house, not mine, so I'd have to drag all of the ingredients over or go out and buy them. A good boxed mix will be so much easier this year. I would like that frosting recipe though, thanks! Oh, and it isn't for a child - it's for my husband, lol.

Buttercream sounds good, too, I do love buttercream.

Cupcakes or marshmallows, GREAT idea.

I had no idea you could rent baking equipment, I'll have to look around.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-06-12 10:41 AM
In response to stick

scrapnread - cute idea about wrapping the presents, I've been thinking about something like that. I plan to engage the nephews in the wrapping and decorating - anything having to do with both Legos AND their favorite uncle will be fun

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 03-06-12 11:19 AM
In response to stick

I'd look for a box cake mix that has pudding in it already - these are more moist than the regular ones. It might be Betty Crocker that does these or Pilsbury.

The only ingredient that I measure when making buttercream frosting is the vanilla - just a teaspoon. The rest is easy - 1 pound package of conf sugar, 1 stick of butter, and enough milk to make it creamy.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Tivi

Oh, I didn't know other people had made a cake like that, it was just something I came up with when she said "Lego cake."

I love the idea of giant Legos with wrapping paper and party cups!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to aquabunny

Am I the only person here who would be calling my local bakery?

I don't bake. I'm just not good at it. I do love to cook, though. I'm with you, Stick, I think it's the measuring.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

I was going to suggest party favor bags, with lego stickers or embellishments...

but then reread the post and realized it wasn't a kid's party.

For a kid, sometimes simple is better (but I'd want to make it extra awesome, for my hubby too). My daughter once wanted a barbie cake. I thought, "oh, I'll make a bundt cake for the skirt and put a doll in it." Easy!

Not so much!!! Doll was taller than my pan--by a lot... I was stressing over it.
Finally asked daughter, and she wanted a sheet cake with barbies on top!
I made a 13x9 cake and put hard plastic barbies on top (McDonald happy meal toys). She LOVED it.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-06-12 02:28 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

lol, Linda!

I did think about a bakery, Melissa, and I still might go that route, but we'll see.

And yeah, we're basically a couple of big kids anyway - we like toys and games and cartoons. Normally I wouldn't go to too much trouble and we'd probably go out to a really nice dinner and have dessert there. But since we'll be with our nephews I thought it would be fun to plan a sort of kid-type party and drag them into the decorating and all

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to stick

I would google "leggo cake" and see what ideas you come up with.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Trina_P

I don't blame you at all for not wanting to drag cake ingredients with you. Can you bake the cake and take just the cake and decorate it there?

I would hate putting it together somewhere else too unless I premeasured everything and put it in ziplocs so I just had to dump it together.

THe cake and frosting recipe are on one page so just ignore the cake part. SOmetimes the frosting takes more powdered sugar so you can adjust if necessary - the key is to keep beat it while it thicken and keeping it very cold while you beat it. I just put a lot of ice in my sink and set it in the sink to beat it.

BEST EVER CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE

3 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour (I don't sift)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine room temp (I only use butter)
2 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Fudge Frosting - recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350. Melt chocolate in a small bowl over hot, not boiling water; cool. (I put mine in the microwave on very low power and stir every 15 seconds).

Grease and flour two 9 x 1 1/2-inch layer cake pans; tap out excess flour.

Sift flour, baking soda and salt together (I just mix them, I don’t sift them). Beat butter until soft in large bowl. Add brown sugar and eggs; beat with mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla and cooled melted chocolate.

Stir in dry ingredients alternately with sour cream, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition until batter is smooth. (I use a mixer.) Stir in boiling water. Batter will be very thin. Pour at once into prepared pans.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertips.

Cool layers in pans on wire rack 10 minutes turn out onto wire racks; cool completely.

CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING (Do not mix with mixer, must be made by hand)

4 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine room temp (I always use butter)
1 package (1 pound) 10x confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla

Combine chocolate and butter in small heavy saucepan. Place over low heat, just until melted and remove from heat. (I melt in microwave on low power)

Combine 10X sugar, milk and vanilla in medium bowl and stir until smooth. Add chocolate mixture and set bowl in a pan of ice and water. Beat by hand until it is thick enough to spread and will hold its shape. It is really important that you do this by hand with the bowl in a big pan of ice and water. Mixer will incorporate air and it won’t have a fudgy consistency.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-06-12 08:04 PM
In response to Henri Jean

Thanks Henri! So the frosting is basically a buttercream with chocolate, perfect! And no, can't bake beforehand as there are too many other things going on and not enough time.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to stick

Stick (not sure of your name, I'm Ash or Ashley, but you know that haha ) What if you just did a cake and used real lego to decorate instead of trying to find a pan or going all out with the cupcakes/marshmallows?

Use mega blocks instead beacuse they are bigger and build whatever you think hubs would like. That way you could transport the lego, bake your cake and set the creation on top

Whatever you do, I want to see it!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

It is just a chocolate buttercream but I've mixed it with a mixer before and it just wasn't as good, not fudgy at all. Sometimes I do have to add a little more x-sugar. But it really does set up nicely.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-07-12 09:53 AM
In response to Henri Jean

Ash, I'm Kara, but at least one of my friends calls me Stick in real life so it's all good

This all largely depends on just how successful I'm feeling at cake decorating that day, lol. But there will definitely be pictures! I already bought all the Lego-embossed cardstock here for the LOs.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics