Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Scrapping Retreat Question(s)        (Topic#1571611)
MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008

I'm going to my first scrapping retreat in May. I'm excited, but kind of nervous because I only know 1 person that is going to be there (but she knows almost everyone, her mom is the one arranging the retreat). The retreat starts on a Friday, I will get there around 4-4:30pm (no dinner in me so I need to account for some time to eat) and goes until 3pm Sunday.

1.) What is a MUST have for the retreat besides pictures and a plan?

2.) Is there anything I should leave at home?

3.) What should my expectations be?

I'm asking because it's my first, like I said, but I don't want to be left in the dust and I also don't want my expectations to be too high. I want to use the time to gain new ideas from other ladies and possibly venture into some new techniques on my own.

My 'plan' is to finish my dog album with pictures of our latest dog, Lily and some of our family photos that include the dogs. I have 12 8" x 8" pages to fill. Is that expectation too much?

Expert
In response to MrsD2008

1)Pictures and a plan are great BUT don't take "enough" based on what you might get done at home...with lots of distractions. I always take more than I know I will get done, just in case I get on a roll and get a lot done--I don't want to have to leave early!!!

Take the supplies that you normally use. If you find you need something you didn't bring, most people are happy to share, but will not be happy to be sharing everything all weekend long. Ask your friend if there will be any "group supplies" that can be used--I'm going to a retreat soon that is put on by a CM rep and she always sets out her CM tools for everyone to use.

2) Maybe leave home things like Stickles that take a long time to dry...inevitably someone will look at your LO and point out something they like...and by point I mean they stick their finger on your page and ruin something that is not dry...sigh...

3) Expect to get more done than you think because of your uninterrupted scrap time. For me personally, I would get 12 8x8 pages done in maybe a day (or less), but others might not...?

As for "gain ideas from other ladies..." and this is just my personal preference/opinion...if it's someone you are sitting near, it's one thing, but it drives me nuts when ladies walk around "admiring" other's work and interrupting what they are doing. I'm a little biased because I tend to do things out of the "norm" at the crops I go to and so people are interested in what I'm doing, but I'm there to scrap not teach.

Otherwise, just expect to have a fun weekend away from your normal responsibilities and worries! Some scrappers are crazy and you just have to learn to tune them out, others are just fun! And I'm sure your friend would be more than willing to help you better understand what to expect, so just ask! Have fun...

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to HuskerMom98

I'm definitely not one to walk around and ask questions! Not even sit and ask questions. Just WATCH and learn. Then look it up here when I get home, bahahaha!

I should have mentioned I am packing my wedding album too. I have only completely finished 2 or 3 pages in that album and it's a 20 page 12" X 12". So I'll have that for back up. And, I'm bringing crocheting and my kindle too. Sometimes when I'm scrapping I just need a BREAK (gasp), so having something else to do is necessary for me.

RoyalScrapClub
Resident
RoyalScrapClub
In response to MrsD2008

I went on my first retreat October 2011. I thought I took too much stuff. The retreat was from Noon Friday Until 5 pm Sunday. When I arrived, the other ladies put me to shame. Needless to say, they brought a lot of "stuff". Of course you are going to bring your basic stuff; adhesives, trimmers, scissors, extra paper stacks etc. If you have a small circuit bring that and the cartridges that will do the most. Between now and May, print your photos and package them with the paper and embellishments you THINK you will want to use. Relax and think about how much fun you are going to have.

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to RoyalScrapClub

I do not have a Cricut, but have asked for one for my birthday (which isn't until November!). I do, however, have a Sizzix. People on here have said cut my dies and store them for the retreat. My friend going said bring my Sizzix and some dies. Haven't decided, but am leaning towards NOT bringing it (it's HEAVY!).

Something I forgot to mention in my OP...
The person arranging the retreat does sell CM. I'm afraid the people going will have strictly CM products and I just...don't. I'm actually a worry wort and I worry about what people will think of me all of the time. I do worry that my scrapping style and tools will just seem "childish" to these ladies. :-/

Edited by MrsD2008 on 03-06-12 11:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to MrsD2008

I wouldn't worry too much.
I got to a retreat every year in the spring. I have lots of fun! A lot of the ladies on the retreat i go on are diehard CMers....some of them have adopted things that I do now....so you never know!
I take a "project" that I think will fill the time and lots of idea books and/or sketches for inspiration in case I get stuck. Sometimes you will get tons of pages done and sometimes you end up talking more than scrapping but it's all fun!
We all chip in and bring snacks and lunch type items so that we don't interrupt our scrapping with a big lunchtime break. We usually go to the restaurant for dinner.
Have a great time!
Alison

Veteran
In response to MrsD2008

I just did the same thing in February. We all chose one meal to prepare for the others and brought snacks. You will get alot done with no husband, no kids, no pets, no phone, etc!!! I completed 51 12x12 pages and had a blast! I do have a certain theme or group of pics that I work on, so I dont' take all of my stickers or all of my papers etc. We ate, watched movies and scrapped. I thought I took alot and I had the back part of my Durango almost full, but the others........WOW!!! They just moved in for the weekend! LOL You will never be the one with the most stuff! Oh and you might want a comfy pillow to sit on!

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to jeniferdwn

Some people do bring everything they own to every crop, in the beginning, I was one of them. I have greatly reduced what I bring because I got tired of bringing things I didn't use. Thanks to some really smart and sharing scrappers, I learned about page kits and I now make 30 or so depending on how long the crop is and just carry those and an assortment of embellishments and it all fits into a small rolling tote along with my tools and laptop.

In my kits I include: photos, card stock and patterned paper, any memorabilia from the trip or event and any flat embellishments along with a sketch of what I want the lay out to look like and any notes I might need for journaling. Ribbons, brads, etc. go in small Iris photo boxes to keep them from being crushed.

This is just what works for me, it might take you a few crops to get a feel for what to bring. Have fun!!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 03-06-12 02:06 PM
In response to MisasMom

I have to laugh about the advice to bring more than you would get done at home...because you won't have the distraction.
I know that many scrappers are like that (I have a friend who could get an album done in that amount of time) but me? Well I have ADD so I rarely get much done at a crop or retreat or other such event... I am one of the ones walking around, sticking fingers in the wrong places, asking questions etc.

However you would want to sit next to me because I bring all the 'good stuff' with me...

6ta
6ta 
Pro
6ta
  • 6ta on 03-06-12 02:24 PM
In response to GMFTS

I just hav eto laugh ...it's true you will learn after a few crops...i at 1st lugged more than i should have, bad thing is i wasn't too organized and spent a lot of time searching for stickers or pics...i now buy the 2 gallon ziplocs and put my pappers and stickers and stuff like that in baggies, i make my own page kits...lol that seems to really keep me on track...the last retreat i went to i took a trip to walmart to print a lot of my pics...so i wasted a lil time there but you will get to your style soon enough...ENJOY!!!

imagine.lilacs
Queen
imagine.lilacs
In response to 6ta

Relax, my dear! Crops are fun, you will make new friends, find new ideas, have some good laughs, and wish you had more time when it is the morning of the final day. I promise!

Pack whatever you think you might need. Chances are really good that you will forget something critical; but chances are even better that you will have brought many things you won't even open. It's all good!

Get extra adhesive. Pack it. Double check that you packed it before you leave!!

Don't worry about what people think of your style. It's not their scrapbook.

Have fun!!

Edited by imagine.lilacs on 03-06-12 03:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to MrsD2008

There really is no right or wrong way on what to bring, what you work on, or how you set up your area BUT I would caution you on relying on others to lend you things. Sometimes they just don't have it to lend or don't want to lend expensive tools.

my advice is pack extra adhesive and a few snacks.

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Just want to clarify that my mind set is if I didn't bring it, I can't use it. The only exception I have for this is the punches/tools that the organizer has openly said will be available for use.

Edited by MrsD2008 on 03-06-12 04:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to MrsD2008

You'll be amazed by how much stuff people bring. I overpack -- but I really try and think. What do I use the most. I can then add to the lo's when I get home.

Most of all -- have fun. Great time to learn some new techniques and meet some new people.

kikiV
kikiV 
Veteran
kikiV
  • kikiV on 03-06-12 09:37 PM
In response to ncyankee

I'm so sorry you are worrying about this. You will have a great time. Just take whatever you want, you can always leave some things in your car if you feel like you took too much.

As for others, just enjoy yourself. Try not to let what others think of your style worry you. That is the thing about scrapbooking...there are no rules.

As for asking questions, I have rarely met a scrapbooker that wasn't willing to answer a question. Most scrappers are friendly wonderful people and enjoy sharing their techniques.

You're going to do just fine and have a great time.

BREATHE

Edited by kikiV on 03-06-12 09:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to kikiV

Another person here telling you to forget your worries about your scrap style... I can feel your pain though. Just last week I went to a card making workshop and was worried because I do layouts -not cards- because my brain works that way. Well, as I walked in they were all debating buying a cricut or not and since I own one, I chimed in and got to feel smart right away. Then after that they kept talking about techniques and i found i was able to give alternate ways of doing things and products to try (thanks to all my reading on this site!) My cards were fair, but because I could join in talking about everything I had no worries.

Have fun!!!

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to Rushli

Have a great time. My biggest advice is to preplan, that way you know what you will need and won;t overpack. I am going to a 3 day scrapmania at A's at the end of the month and I am preplanning everything. I am jealous of you all who have gone away for a retreat. Maybe someday, I'll be able to go.

JediScrapToo
Diva
JediScrapToo
In response to scrappnmom2il

I've been to oh, lets see, about 5 weekend retreats since 2008! All of them were from my awesome CM consultant, who will frown when you don't use CM but really doesn't care in the least! CM used to be really hard nosed about using ONLY their stuff, but they have relaxed a great deal.

I have seen ladies bring the bare minimum and i've seen some bring everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink. I personally bring everything I have, but it all fits in my "scrappy" bags etc.

The only planning I do is what pictures I'm going to do and I may do the power layouts (which helps you organize pictures and embellies and paper for 30 pages). And, I actually get about 50 12x12 pages finished in a weekend like that.

The most important thing is to have fun! If you want to just concentrate on getting work done, then do that, if you wanna scrap and chat, you can do that! No worries!!! Its gonna be fun!

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to imagine.lilacs

So...will 3 unopened rolls of the 36 yards ATG tape, plus 1 1/2 boxes of glue dots be enough? I'm totally not joking, I will get more if I need to! I am not planning on opening the new package(s) before the trip unless I absolutely have to and then I plan on buying more, haha.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to MrsD2008

I suggest making page kits I get more done when I do that. Also make sure you take any tools that you can' t live without. I always take my stickles, ink, stamps and glimmer mist can't scrap without them.

If you can plan having your cricut or other die cutting machine with you. I always take to much but would rather have to much then not enough.

If you belong to any kit clubs save them up for a few month so that you have them to work on they are typically pretty good to take.

I'm going to a crop in June and another in September. I've not used any of my kits since February so I can take them with me in June. I'm also a copic junkie so I always make sure I have them with me...i can always color.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics