Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How do I best make rocks?        (Topic#1571697)
cshortel
Guru
cshortel

My vacation West with my parents has been titled "the trip to show Dad he DIDN'T see every rock West of the Mississippi in 1980". I need a good technic to make rocks.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-08-12 11:54 AM
In response to cshortel

What kind of rocks? Random desert background, large boulders, patterned limestone, the red rocks of Utah, Monument Valley type formations, or ...?? Do you want little embellies or a larger background type piece?

For generic rocks I would get a rock-colored piece of cardstock, cut it to a rock shape, and rub some similarly colored ink or chalk into the edges and kinda randomly all over.

Another thought is to enlarge a photo of a rockface and use it as a 12x12 background. Or you could print a photo of a rock onto cardstock (or even vellum) and trim and distress as above.

My husband is an amateur geologist and we both go out rockhounding so I've got more rocks and pictures of rocks than you can shake a stick at, lol.

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to stick

Actually, both rocks and rock formations. We saw the Grand Canyon, Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon, as well as Walnut Canyon and several other Pueblo ruins, and Sunset Crater, which is all volcanic rock.

I have my cricut that can do the large rock formantions, so I guess I talking more about small rocks. But you never know if anyone has great ideas.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to cshortel

I pm'd you. If it's not what you were looking for, it at least gave me some ideas! We have lots of trip-photos with rocks in the scenery.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-08-12 01:49 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

One thought for the Pueblo ruins would be to use a brick stamp or this template to add a pattern to part of your background.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, I have a short Arizona trip (including Wupatki, the Grand Canyon, and Meteor Crater) that I'd like to scrap soon. I hope you'll come up with something really good that I can lift

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to stick

tear circular (not even) shapes of rock colored paper and crumble....then lightly chalk or ink the ridges in the crinkles.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Just G

• Just G Said:
tear circular (not even) shapes of rock colored paper and crumble....then lightly chalk or ink the ridges in the crinkles.

This!

or splatter paint. I did that to this background.

Stratigraphic column of the sediments near Mineral Wells, Texas By Rockmom

Edited by rockmom on 03-08-12 04:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 03-08-12 04:24 PM
In response to stick

• stick Said:
One thought for the Pueblo ruins would be to use a brick stamp or this template to add a pattern to part of your background.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, I have a short Arizona trip (including Wupatki, the Grand Canyon, and Meteor Crater) that I'd like to scrap soon. I hope you'll come up with something really good that I can lift

now that is smart thinking MS Stick... - will you let me know how she does? I have photos from NM and Grand Canyon that I need to scrap too.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-08-12 04:50 PM
In response to GMFTS

The goal of being lazy AND clever - wait for someone else to invent the wheel, as it were, then take advantage

I like the crinkled paper idea, I never do that, I should try it.

Edited by stick on 03-08-12 04:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to stick

• stick Said:
The goal of being lazy AND clever - wait for someone else to invent the wheel, as it were, then take advantage

I like the crinkled paper idea, I never do that, I should try it.

ANYTIME! Tearing and chalking/inking is my fave technique.

I made my own paper here
Whitewater Rafting By Just G

I also made my own "aged" paper using the crinkle / ink method

Matriarchs By Just G

and snow drifts
Winter Wonderland By Just G

Edited by Just G on 03-08-12 05:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Just G

what about mud puddles? some of them have a rocky kind of texture and they are uber-fun to play with

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to madmatter

Thanks everyone for your great ideas. I hope to get to them soon. I just got my pictures.

(Unfortunately, I have to do small books of my sister's wedding and parents' 50th Anniversary party first, but I hope to start soon).

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to cshortel

How about alcohol inking dew drops for a pile of "pebbles" look?

Or create the look of agate by cutting/ripping cardstock/grungeboard/chi pboard/etc into a rock shape. Then use a pearly white paint to cover the surface. Give it some texture with your brush or a sponge or even using one of those paint dabbers. Let it dry completely.

Then use a few different colors of alcohol ink, some metallic mixative, and a little bit of blending solution on the felt applicator and pounce that around on top of the painted surface.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Kim222

How about using sandpaper? You could make that into rock shapes and you'd have the texture too.

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Isn't that a clever idea.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-12-12 09:05 AM
In response to cshortel

You inspired me to work on my Wupatki page(s)! I'm planning on using the brick template to stipple a subtle background, then add a side border of something embossed with the Tim Holtz Bricked folder - and maybe even a torn edge, I think maybe Kraft core would look pretty cool. A little ink smudged here and there, maybe a spatter of some paint or other.

Let's hope it comes out near as good as it looks in my head

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to stick

Good luck Stick, wanna see it when its done so post it here! Okay?

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to rockmom

lots of great ideas!! gotta love it here!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-12-12 11:41 AM
In response to SmartyPants

Will do, Rockmom! I need to order that template first ....

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to stick

Stick, I "need" that template too!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics