Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: I'm at a loss...        (Topic#1572469)
MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008

I decided to participate in a goody bag swap at the retreat I am going to in May. The coordinator said we could bring anything from gum and candy to small scrapping supplies. The items can be handmade or store bought. I'm at a loss for what to bring/make!

The retreat is 80's themed. So I did find some neon jelly bracelets for a decent price on Amazon and I toyed with that idea...BUT I'm not someone to give useless gifts and I really think that fits into the "useless" category, beyond the 80's themed day.

Thoughts and/or ideas please!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to MrsD2008

Classic 80's candy! Big Hunk, Nerds, or other retro candy would be really fun. Google 80's retro candy and you'll get a good list.

Cindy

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to cindy312

See, that's another problem....Thank goodness for google because I was born in '85 and do not remember much from the 80's beyond my neon jelly shoes! hahahaha

3MiniSchnauzers
Idol
3MiniSchnauzers
In response to cindy312

Try this site. Gosh I feel old now....

http://www.inthe80s.com/food/index.shtml

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to 3MiniSchnauzers

yeah - I would definitely go with retro candy - maybe make a CD of 80's music if you are able to do that. Also - some 80's stickers, colorful mat stack, or some zebra paper.

there are some cute stamps that I recently picked up.

I hope that helps - I will try to think of some other things!

Edited by SmartyPants on 03-16-12 01:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to MrsD2008

you can not go wrong with CANDY

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Gelidy Gelato

This totally reminds me of what I made many people for Christmas gifts- at HL, they had these 'Timeline' line of charms- really cool looking metal things, for jewelry- I bought all the little metal CASSETTE TAPES and put them on ball chains, to make necklaces- they were 50% off when I bought them, so each one cost less than a dollar to make! I loved those things!

But yeah- candy is never wrong- and I still eat Nerds to this day- but then again, I'll eat anything grape flavored. When I was a kid, my Mom hated the smell of grape candy, so I was never allowed to eat it- I'm making up for it now.

Has anybody else noticed how hard it is to find grape flavored bubble gum, lately?! Yeah, crazy flavors like Strawberry Pomegranate Surprise- but regular old chemical grape? Not to be seen. It's a sad, sad time.

-kory

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to designguyKORY

• designguyKORY Said:
This totally reminds me of what I made many people for Christmas gifts- at HL, they had these 'Timeline' line of charms- really cool looking metal things, for jewelry- I bought all the little metal CASSETTE TAPES and put them on ball chains, to make necklaces- they were 50% off when I bought them, so each one cost less than a dollar to make! I loved those things!

But yeah- candy is never wrong- and I still eat Nerds to this day- but then again, I'll eat anything grape flavored. When I was a kid, my Mom hated the smell of grape candy, so I was never allowed to eat it- I'm making up for it now.

Has anybody else noticed how hard it is to find grape flavored bubble gum, lately?! Yeah, crazy flavors like Strawberry Pomegranate Surprise- but regular old chemical grape? Not to be seen. It's a sad, sad time.

-kory

We have a candy store that still sells the Bubble Yum grape flavored and some other grape flavored gum (individually wrapped). Used to be my favorite gum.

80's.... I loved the 80's. Punk music: FLock of Seagulls, Billy Idol, favorite song: Sister Christian, oh yeah... I could honestly say, those were the best years of my youth.

I started scrapbooking in the 80's using letter stickers.

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 03-16-12 08:54 PM
In response to scrappnmom2il

The 80's were fun because I was young with young kids but OMG, the fashion was awful. Those shoulder pads and big hair! I look at pictures and cringe. But I love the 80's music idea.

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11
In response to MrsD2008

stickers were huge in the 80s. You could pick ones that were around then.

Cricutgirlg
Expert
Cricutgirlg
In response to anda11

Gosh I feel old! I was young in the 80's too. I like the candy idea and the CD of music.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to Cricutgirlg

Can't forget the shoulder pads, Princess Diana haircuts or the big hair and the LEG WARMERS!!!! Oh and the tshirts that hung off your shoulders with the spandex pants and high top aerobic shoes and the scrunched down socks and the "sweat" gatherer around the forehead. And the jewelry.

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008

The other thing is I have to dress up for 80's day and I have NO IDEA how I am going to do it...I really don't want to spend more than $10-15 on an outfit...

And, I found Bazooka gum for a decent price on-line. Was this popular in the 80's?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to MrsD2008

Neopolitan taffee strips (not sure what they were called...you know those chocolate, vanilla, strawberry things...)
pixie stix
Popeye cigarettes
licorice pipes (one would have thought they were trying to get us to smoke....)
Pez
Double Bubble
Black balls (those horrible things we used to suck on that turned our mouth all colours...)

As for clothes....I agree with PP....shoulder pads, fluffy/big hair, leg warmers...shouldn't be too hard. I think I saw shoulder pads in the fabric store when I was there last week....just pin some in a tshirt...
Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun!!
Alison

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to kiyawinn

Yeah Bazooka was big enough in the 80's

Pop Rocks! (the one that immediately jumped into my head)
Whacamacallit
Bubble Tape
Big League Chew
Skittles (I remember sticking those in my Mt.Dew)
Starburst
Spree
Blo Pops
Nerds (as I know has already been said)
Mr Goodbar
Runts
Fun Dip
Chicklets
Cow Tales (I never did those but know friends who loved them)
Jolly Ranchers (especially in the bigger bars - not the bite sized pieces)
Bottlecaps
Red Hots/Lemon Heads/Boston Baked Beans/Jawbusters (all those came in cheap boxes)
Cigarette Sticks (also in a cheap box)

As for dressing cheap... find an overgrown button up shirt. Roll it up at the sleeves, belt it at the waist (and pull the top of your shirt out until it covers the belt and actually adds volume to your waist). Don't ask me why we thought it looked good. Of course any type of overgrown shirt (the gaudier or brighter colored the better) can be worn also. Just put a brightly colored tank top (can be worn under the button up style too) under it and let the collar fall over one shoulder. For pants you can wear leggings or skinny jeans of course. If you don't have any of those, what we used to do was fold in the pant leg a little (until it was tight against the leg) and then roll it up so that the actually cut off the circulation to our feet. The goal was to have the absolute opposite of flare/bell bottoms. You could also wear a mini skirt (if you dare)... especially in bad washes of denim. A pair of flats work for shoes... as do sneakers... or narrow heeled shoes (if you can stand them). Just try to pair them with a colorful anklet sock (or slouchy sock - doubled up with another colorful slouchy sock underneath but sticking out on top)... that preferably matches your outfit. Oh...and a long beaded necklace is a nice touch... even pearls... especially when tied in a knot or a bandana type scarf also works as an accessory when left down around your throat cowboy style. Lots of bangles are great too and big earrings are needed. And of course the hair is best teased and big. It should be curly and the bangs should reach for the ceiling. You definitely should be able to find some of this at a local thrift shop for not too much. And any jacket/top with shoulder pads is probably 80's as is neon and splatter paint decoration.

Did I miss anything, anyone? Thanks so much for dragging me back there... I wasn't that young in the 80's I guess. I can still remember it pretty well it seems.

HTH!

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to KatieJo

Stirrup pants! Ugh! Sorry, was struck with another horrible memory!

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to KatieJo

Here's a picture of me and my friends in 1985 going to a dance at a camp. Princess Diana haircuts. I'm the one in white, at the end on the right side.
Picture from 1985 By Scrappnmom2il

This next one is party attire. If you look in back of me, to your left (I'm the one in the green sweater with a scarf), you could see, other attire.
url=http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/164977/view /3566151/-1.html][/url] Picture from 1984 By Scrappnmom2il

Edited by scrappnmom2il on 03-17-12 06:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Since it's just a small givt how about some chapstick to go with the candy maybe some pop dots by several packages of pop dots and give each person one sheet

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to Sneezy1956

• Sneezy1956 Said:
Since it's just a small givt how about some chapstick to go with the candy maybe some pop dots by several packages of pop dots and give each person one sheet

Pop dots... pure sugar happiness. Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers too.

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps

for your hair...two words...BANANA CLIP! lol 80's costumes were big this yr for halloween...you might be able to find some 80's clothes stuff cheap on halloween clearance somewhere? Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics